Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 07:02 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times

Advertisements

https://qns.com/story/2019/11/06/res...t-the-project/

On Monday Nov. 4, the Federal Aviation Authority released the results from a series of heavily criticized public forums, and ensuing comment period, over its plan to construct an automated AirTrain system from the Willets Point Long Island Rail Road station to LaGuardia.

The agency received feedback from 255 residents in opposition to the existing AirTrain plan and from 55 who support it. The criticism ranged from the process the agency chose for its environmental survey to how the proposed plan would cater toward more affluent communities, without benefitting local residents.

The most popular subtopic of the responses was the 7 Subway line. A total of 185 residents complained about the 7 train’s problems with capacity, overcrowding and deteriorating infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 07:34 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I was initially on board with the plan, but I'm hearing that the JFK air train isn't paying for itself, so I'm skeptical (if that's true) that this one will.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:54 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Pretty sure this is going to be built regardless of what the residents say.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:13 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
build it

Old 11-08-2019, 10:42 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Residents are always going to be against everything built near them. If you rely on resident opinions, nothing will ever get built. It's called NIMBYism and it's hurt NYC tremendously with respect to anti-growth zoning and overregulation which has lead to high cost of housing.

Residents also killed the original N train extension to LGA and we can now see in hindsight how much of a missed opportunity that was.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:02 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Residents are always going to be against everything built near them. If you rely on resident opinions, nothing will ever get built. It's called NIMBYism and it's hurt NYC tremendously with respect to anti-growth zoning and overregulation which has lead to high cost of housing.

Residents also killed the original N train extension to LGA and we can now see in hindsight how much of a missed opportunity that was.
Or maybe the residents should be listened to and they should just build it underground.

Elevated trains are very problematical everywhere unless built in the middle of a highway median like the air train.

Yes, it would cost more but this is the type of project that should be considered "critical" and should be done regardless of higher cost.

It seems like we have devolved to doing nothing with anything if it raises taxes. Very sad and short sighted.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:15 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I was initially on board with the plan, but I'm hearing that the JFK air train isn't paying for itself, so I'm skeptical (if that's true) that this one will.

Air train might pay for itself if they charged most of the people using it. Currently it's free for all those hundreds of thousands of people who park in the JFK parking lots. You have 20 paying customers who get on an air train at the Howard Beach subway access and then hundreds of non paying users get on through the parking lot entrance and at Lefferts Blvd and other stops along the way.
Would love to see stats on exactly what percentage of air train users actually pay.
And no, I don't believe those people are somehow paying through their parking fees. Should be kept separate for all to see and analyze.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:41 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Or maybe the residents should be listened to and they should just build it underground.

Elevated trains are very problematical everywhere unless built in the middle of a highway median like the air train.

Yes, it would cost more but this is the type of project that should be considered "critical" and should be done regardless of higher cost.

It seems like we have devolved to doing nothing with anything if it raises taxes. Very sad and short sighted.
That's not true. The residents did not say anything about building it underground. They actually said to build an N train extension above ground:

Quote:
One popular alternative to the AirTrain plan involved an extension of the N, W subway from Astoria Boulevard Station. A total of 105 responders wrote about this in their responses — more than any other proposed alternative. This alternative involves the construction of an elevated subway structure on the Astoria Line that would provide bi-directional service along the residential neighborhood
There are pros and cons for both locations. While the 7 train is overcrowded, Willets Point does have connection to the LIRR, which the Astoria location does not have. The Astoria location however offers less crowded trains to Manhattan. Something to debate about. (In a dream world, maybe they can do both.)

Right now, I just want them to build something. Not having rail link to LGA in 2020 is so embarrassingly bad.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

Right now, I just want them to build something. Not having rail link to LGA in 2020 is so embarrassingly bad.
I agree with this sentence!

Old 11-09-2019, 07:47 AM

983 posts, read 932,296 times
I'm against this, becuase it's another obtuse separate system like the JFK monorail. Bring the NW train directly to Laguardia and bring the A or JZ train directly to JFK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City