Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 05:32 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times

Advertisements

Opinion:

Any city owned unused space.
Any privately owned junk yard.
Any abandoned property especially of significant size.

If they are in your neighborhood.................you are next...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 05:03 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wish they would fully cap the freeway on that block and expand Virginia Park. It was always seemed weird to me that they left that little section of open underpass.
I agree! It's not easy to cross there.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If the walls are solid then no I would keep them. I’m talking about things like a new kitchen (open concept), new bathroom, etc. If the flooring needs to be replaced, new flooring and doors. That sort of thing. I’d be fine refinishing the walls, but yes, I’m well aware. I also am concerned about the whole carpet BS. Not a fan at all. Would be happy to pay for soundproofing if that meant no carpeting. I’ve always found carpet disgusting and don’t want any in any place that I purchase.
Many coops would be reticent to allow an "open concept" if it meant knocking down walls. They would have structural concerns. I'm not a fan of carpeting either. My floors were fully sound abated (proper term). But the work was done before my time and a super and managing company ago. Ergo the records are slim. I have had the battle of my life about that which has been more than annoying since 1. It was a problem for my previous seller who had four people, including a young child, 2. We are a family of two.

You can feel the sound absorption underfoot. It's plainly obvious if you compare hardwood with this. Even if one questions whether the underlayment really is sound absorbing or not, the bottom line is that the floor is covered with some sort of underlayment (can't put laminate on without it) and then the laminate itself. That is already two layers over the hardwood floors. The way sound works is that any change in material is going to dampen the sound. I happen to have one of the early models of laminate that has that clackity clack sound inside the apartment. However, that is sound going up, not down. My neighbor has never complained and told me, if she had issue, she would tell me. This situation annoys me to no end and it has inflamed my allergies. But I digress. My neighbor above has thick carpeting with foam. I can hear every step he makes. According to my research about sound, carpeting does not dampen low frequency noise; hence the footstep sounds that the board is so worried about. So the whole affair is headsmacking. I do recommend modern laminate over hardwood due to maintenance issues. Hardwood requires refinishing every 5 or 6 years, with at least 3 or 4 coats of resin or other stinky stuff. That means practically moving out for a week at a time. Quality modern laminate can last a lifetime and has almost no maintenance. And unlike the stuff installed in my place 14 years ago, it won't have that clackity clack. (Although visually, you wouldn't know it's laminate. It looks beautiful.)

I have an original kitchen. I have been saving up to redo it. I don't want to overspend on it because I know that whether I do it on a budget, or spend top dollar, it won't increase the value of the apartment when I sell. I finally have enough money to do it, but I don't have the time or a contractor lined up that I trust. It will happen, probably this summer. Other than that, my apartment was pretty much turn key. I want to do some painting, but it was in such good condition when I moved in, I didn't really need to. So it's a process. My biggest issue again, is having someone to do the work that I trust at reasonable prices. Since my apartment is more than adequate, it's not the highest of priorities. I'll have it the way I want it probably within the next three years.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
People who have carpeting and also don't take their shoes off in the house
I have a no shoes policy in my home. It baffles me that people still take offense to taking their shoes off. Most people I know have this policy in their homes. It only makes sense.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:36 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I have a no shoes policy in my home. It baffles me that people still take offense to taking their shoes off. Most people I know have this policy in their homes. It only makes sense.
Most people I know do not have this policy. But I don't mind. I do not ask people because I feel bad for those with stinky feet. I know someone who has stinky feet no matter what they do.

Quote:
I have an original kitchen. I have been saving up to redo it. I don't want to overspend on it because I know that whether I do it on a budget, or spend top dollar, it won't increase the value of the apartment when I sell. I finally have enough money to do it, but I don't have the time or a contractor lined up that I trust. It will happen, probably this summer. Other than that, my apartment was pretty much turn key. I want to do some painting, but it was in such good condition when I moved in, I didn't really need to. So it's a process. My biggest issue again, is having someone to do the work that I trust at reasonable prices. Since my apartment is more than adequate, it's not the highest of priorities. I'll have it the way I want it probably within the next three years.
After my last experience with trying to find good workers, I have no interest in renovating anything anymore. I have no issue with paying for the renovation it's just finding the right people. Like you, I didn't want to go overboard on the tiny kitchen I had because who knew if it would increase the value. Anyway, I ended up doing things through Ikea. The actual cabinets were fine (I do not recommend the appliances or faucets) but the workers were AWFUL.

I had the same issue with my bathroom when I redid that as well. Awful.

In the end, I sold it and made a pretty decent profit. Truth be told I would buy something that needs a gut job if I had people I trusted but I don't so I'm so a bit skittish now.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:20 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
To address the OP question:

Which neighborhoods are within a ~30 minute commute to a major business district?

Which neighborhoods are adjacent to areas that have already gentrified or are gentrifying rapidly?

Which areas have seen an increase in wealthier gentrifiers “of color” moving in? It’s usually seen as gentrification when whites move into ethnic neighborhoods but not as noticeable when a wealthier Hispanic, black, or Asian moves into a Hispanic, black or Asian area. And yes, they are usually the ones buying Kombucha and organic groceries from the supermarket.

To that end, are the local supermarkets and bodegas starting to stock “gentrifier targeted” products? Have you noticed more organic, gluten-free, and craft items popping up?

Are there “gentrifier targeted” coffee shops popping up? I’m a full believer in high end coffee shops (not Starbucks) as major marker for gentrification. Coffee is one of those things thats a universal beverage in the US. People of all demos and social classes drink it but it’s either super cheap, or expensive depending on the type of coffee drinker you’re targeting.

Is there an increase in gay men, especially gay couples, in the neighborhood? Sort of a subjective observation but I noticed this in my building Bed Stuy years ago and a couple of my friends in the building noted it too. A lot of gay couples were buying in an area that didn’t historically have a large openly gay population.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Most people I know do not have this policy. But I don't mind. I do not ask people because I feel bad for those with stinky feet. I know someone who has stinky feet no matter what they do.

After my last experience with trying to find good workers, I have no interest in renovating anything anymore. I have no issue with paying for the renovation it's just finding the right people. Like you, I didn't want to go overboard on the tiny kitchen I had because who knew if it would increase the value. Anyway, I ended up doing things through Ikea. The actual cabinets were fine (I do not recommend the appliances or faucets) but the workers were AWFUL.

I had the same issue with my bathroom when I redid that as well. Awful.

In the end, I sold it and made a pretty decent profit. Truth be told I would buy something that needs a gut job if I had people I trusted but I don't so I'm so a bit skittish now.
It could be the nature of coops, the nature of NYC, or the nature of my neighborhood (since prices are already low). But I noticed the sales prices are not impacted when it comes to renovated kitchens. My kitchen is a small galley kitchen. It has oak cabinets with immobile shelves. The drawers are 12" wide which means finding any in drawer organizers is difficult. Plus, the drawers don't move smoothly. I thought about refinishing them, but concluded it wouldn't be worth it. Part of the issue with my kitchen is a need a LOT more counter space and at least marginally more storage. To try to match the existing would be hard, especially if I were to strip and refinish them.

There are tiles on the walls that I don't love. I would have to redo the floor anyway. So while not a gut job, it would be substantial. Tiles, cabinets, counters, floor. My fridge is on borrowed time. I can't believe it still runs. The light inside shorted out last year but I didn't think it was worth it to fix it since the fridge is at least 14 years old. It's mighty small at 15 cu feet too. I want at least 20, but nothing much larger in a French Door model. The kitchen is an oddity because there is a door to it. I have never seen a kitchen with a door. But since I have been living with it, I think it's a good idea. You can keep smoke in the kitchen when you are doing that kind of cooking, and it keeps intrusive kitchen noises down. I thought about putting in a new door, barn door style, but really, the swing doesn't take up that much room. It's just weird. I have a really good range. Gas is a must for me. I grew up with an electric stove. I hate them. The burners are sealed which is a dream for cleaning compared to open burners. The oven itself is true to temperature. In short, even though it doesn't match the aesthetic I am going for, it is a perfectly functional oven for my purposes. I may end up delaying replacing it because it's literally just throwing money away to do it.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:25 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
It could be the nature of coops, the nature of NYC, or the nature of my neighborhood (since prices are already low). But I noticed the sales prices are not impacted when it comes to renovated kitchens. My kitchen is a small galley kitchen. It has oak cabinets with immobile shelves. The drawers are 12" wide which means finding any in drawer organizers is difficult. Plus, the drawers don't move smoothly. I thought about refinishing them, but concluded it wouldn't be worth it. Part of the issue with my kitchen is a need a LOT more counter space and at least marginally more storage. To try to match the existing would be hard, especially if I were to strip and refinish them.

There are tiles on the walls that I don't love. I would have to redo the floor anyway. So while not a gut job, it would be substantial. Tiles, cabinets, counters, floor. My fridge is on borrowed time. I can't believe it still runs. The light inside shorted out last year but I didn't think it was worth it to fix it since the fridge is at least 14 years old. It's mighty small at 15 cu feet too. I want at least 20, but nothing much larger in a French Door model. The kitchen is an oddity because there is a door to it. I have never seen a kitchen with a door. But since I have been living with it, I think it's a good idea. You can keep smoke in the kitchen when you are doing that kind of cooking, and it keeps intrusive kitchen noises down. I thought about putting in a new door, barn door style, but really, the swing doesn't take up that much room. It's just weird. I have a really good range. Gas is a must for me. I grew up with an electric stove. I hate them. The burners are sealed which is a dream for cleaning compared to open burners. The oven itself is true to temperature. In short, even though it doesn't match the aesthetic I am going for, it is a perfectly functional oven for my purposes. I may end up delaying replacing it because it's literally just throwing money away to do it.
Kitchen doors are a throwback

Either that or the hanging beads.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-28-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Kitchen doors are a throwback

Either that or the hanging beads.
Still useful to control aerated kitchen stuff (smoke, oil) and noises.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:52 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Our galley kitchen has two doors - one on each end. One opens to the living room and the other to the main hallway. When renovating, a friend convinced us to keep the doors, even though a lot of people who have already renovated in this building have turned them into archways and eliminated the door.

One door has been turned into a french door so when it's closed you can still see into and get more light from the living room. Most of the time they get left open. No regrets in keeping them - it is handy to keep cooking smells confined within that space. It's also helpful when doing self-clean on the oven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: