Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 01:06 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times

Advertisements

Having guns back, and CCP is not enough. You still need serious training and practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upxfo_jBrDE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 02:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Having guns back, and CCP is not enough. You still need serious training and practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upxfo_jBrDE
True. There's target practice, some people have ongoing practice by going in the woods and hunting, and of course, there are military people who had careers in armed forces.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
This sounds like a proposal to form a new street gang, ie, for even more lawlessness than there already is. No need for more gangs, just allow NYPD to do their job, and have laws that punish criminals appropriately. Normal, mentally healthy, law-abiding citizens should of course be allowed to own and carry weapons for self defense, but (1) self-defense situations should be exceedingly rare in a civilized society (ie, a normally functioning NYPD and legal system should take care of crime prevention), and (b) the first person that actually does NOT look like he should have a firearms permit is NYWriterDude :-). There are some criteria of normality still needed to give somebody a gun - it shouldn't particularly be an anti-police guy who wants to organize a paramilitary force in NYC :-).
https://www.thoughtco.com/gun-owners...ations-3325153

Wyoming has the highest number of guns per capita.

Do we hear about people in Wyoming living in FEAR? According to this link, New York has the LOWEST percentage of guns per capita.

Considering I grew up in a military household, guns were ALWAYS around and available to me. Starting with my FATHER. Many of my relatives and friends are hunters and soldiers in Alabama, and I have friends who are hunters and soldiers in Spain. A firearm permit is no problem for me.

What I'm about to say is pretty bad, but it is true. Mods, this is not meant to be offensive.

The average white American doesn't need to fear inner-city criminals. They live in states in the interior of the West or South that have a guy ratio of registered gun owners. Even the typical law-abiding Black person in the South has guns. Men in the interior West and South go hunting.

Alabama alone makes 1.8 billion dollars off hunting.https://www.al.com/sports/2017/10/hu..._industry.html

People have the right to defend themselves, and not cry to the police all time time.

By the way, AirborneGuy posted a link that showed that prosecutors now have to give the names, birthdate, and ADDRESS of witnesses and law enforcement to the DEFENDANT. At least we know defendants need to be afraid of him, for people like you cannot testify without risk a defendant will show up at your house and retaliate against you (beat you or kill you). It's really getting bad, and people have to plan to take care of themselves.

And notice how Orthodox Jews are arming themselves, and getting the Guardian Angels to patrol their neigbhorhoods. No one is dumb enough to rely on the police alone.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 12-31-2019 at 02:17 AM..

Old 12-31-2019, 02:12 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,445 times
I’m just laughing at the people who are talking about Guardian Angels, martial arts training and civilized society. NYC has a lot of uncivilized people and will never be like Singapore, hence the need for one to adequately defend themselves using the second amendment if necessary.

The criminal can easily get a gun in another state and wreak havoc here. Vermont has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the country and they are very peaceful.

I’ve lived in Florida and we have concealed carry, yet we don’t have a bunch of vigilantes shooting ppl everyday.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I’m just laughing at the people who are talking about Guardian Angels, martial arts training and civilized society. NYC has a lot of uncivilized people and will never be like Singapore, hence the need for one to adequately defend themselves using the second amendment if necessary.

The criminal can easily get a gun in another state and wreak havoc here. Vermont has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the country and they are very peaceful.

I’ve lived in Florida and we have concealed carry, yet we don’t have a bunch of vigilantes shooting ppl everyday.
I completely agree with you. Ditto for Wyoming. In Texas, the members of a church killed a gunman who wanted to do a massacre. He could have killed the whole church if they had to wait for the police to arrive 30 minutes later.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:31 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Get caught with an illegal gun go to jail for a few years.
you can easily get a premise permit .. if you get caught carrying it is a misdemeanor for permit class misuse

Old 12-31-2019, 08:51 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
A lot of bad critical thinking.

Wyoming = Population - 577K "The state is the 10th largest by area, the least populous, and the second most sparsely populated state in the country."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming

NYC = Population - 8.7 Million. "The most populous city in the United States. With an estimated 2018 population of 8,398,748 distributed over a land area of about 302.6 square miles (784 km2), New York is also the most densely populated major city in the United States."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City

We still don't address the genesis of the problem. We jump to a solution that will probably not end up well in NYC.

NYC is a big social experiment. Multiculturalism on steroids, classism on steroids, High COL, disparity in QOL, etc.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
A lot of bad critical thinking.

Wyoming = Population - 577K "The state is the 10th largest by area, the least populous, and the second most sparsely populated state in the country."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming

NYC = Population - 8.7 Million. "The most populous city in the United States. With an estimated 2018 population of 8,398,748 distributed over a land area of about 302.6 square miles (784 km2), New York is also the most densely populated major city in the United States."

We still don't address the genesis of the problem. We jump to a solution that will probably not end up well in NYC.

NYC is a big social experiment. Multiculturalism on steroids, classism on steroids, High COL, disparity in QOL, etc.
I agree with many of this. But at the same time people in Wyoming and or other rural places and or places with lax gun regulations dont all live by themselves out in the woods with the nearest person like 50 miles away. Many do live in communities nearby each other.

Take Texas for example. Most people live in the cities like Houston metro, Dallas Metro. Those places dont have Hudson County density, but they are not isolated from each other either. Same for Nevada. Most people live in LV metro. States like NC, Tenn have bustling metros. Not as big as NYC, but the density dont matter.

But yes, it is poverty, desperation, and mental illness that causes crime. However we can fix that while still letting people defend themselves in case. It not cost tax payer any money to let people arm themselves unless of course govt wants a piece of the business.

Old 01-01-2020, 03:06 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
back before nyc switched from the restricted carry target hunting licence to the residence licence most permit holders carried . there were over 30,000 permit holders .

. you likely had the guy sitting next to you on the bus carrying , only nobody knew how ,many were carrying because there were so few incidents .

Old 01-01-2020, 07:34 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I agree with many of this. But at the same time people in Wyoming and or other rural places and or places with lax gun regulations dont all live by themselves out in the woods with the nearest person like 50 miles away. Many do live in communities nearby each other.

Take Texas for example. Most people live in the cities like Houston metro, Dallas Metro. Those places dont have Hudson County density, but they are not isolated from each other either. Same for Nevada. Most people live in LV metro. States like NC, Tenn have bustling metros. Not as big as NYC, but the density dont matter.

But yes, it is poverty, desperation, and mental illness that causes crime. However we can fix that while still letting people defend themselves in case. It not cost tax payer any money to let people arm themselves unless of course govt wants a piece of the business.
You need to really research and compare those areas. Also, i never said anything about isolation. I was highlighting the lack of space in NYC. People living on top of each other sort of speak. Add the current population + 40 million annual tourist + illegal residents + outside workers who commute to NYC for work, etc. I don't believe that there is another city that has the diversity of NYC in terms of race, religion, sexual orientation, class, etc.

Dallas
Density 3,876/sq mi
Population 1,197,816
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas

Houston
Density 3,502/sq mi
Population 2,099,451
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston

NYC
Density 27,751/sq mi
Population 8,175,133
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City