Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 07:13 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
If that was possible I would have already done it genius

No offense but I'm not a Boomer...
You came here asking for help. I try to give you different ideas to help you. And this is the way you respond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 08:16 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,863,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Similar to the ConEd thread can anyone chime in on their Spectrum bill. I've had enough. In 2014 I was paying $100 now I'm at $215. That is a 115% increase well beyond 30% for even higher than average inflation for Cable plus high speed internet. My salary also increased by 120% but there's not much further I can go up right now. I don't even want the stupid cable package anymore but of course they won't unbundle it and they're a Monopoly in my neighborhood because FIOS flopped over and stopped trying.

Cuomo's feet need to be held to the fire... There's absolutely no reason I should have to pay for a cable TV service I don't use AND to top it all off they keep pitching spectrum wireless. I thought TWC was bad this incarnation is much worse. Feds are concerned about the Sprint T-Mobile merger. What about Spectrum Charter and Comcast? They are the bane of any customer's existence on the Northeast corridor and have got to be put in check.

NY Consumer Protections are cracking down on everything and everyone except for Charter Communications. That lawsuit obviously didn't do jack. They need the sledgehammer taken to the organization.
I actually unbundled mine last week. Then a couple days ago, I received a letter about my promotion ending but showing a breakdown of all three services.

I called Spectrum to ask about it and the rep told me what I had, different from the letter (which made more sense). Anyway, she actually took an additional $20 off my bill for the next year.

I also switched to their mobile plan for $45 a month instead of T-mobile for $75, I get two weeks to try it first. We'll see how that goes. I guess I got lucky.

Last edited by Marshabrady; 01-21-2020 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-21-2020, 09:59 AM

732 posts, read 883,909 times
$40 for fios 200/200 speed no contract.
Surprised there is no fios at your building.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:17 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Verizon has to be given permission to install FiOs in the buildings. They can't just show up and install it.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:40 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I'm using WiFi in my building on a desktop. Using the 5GHz connection I'm getting 266MPBS down and 303 up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
If you are using WiFi in a building, your problems are not the speed of the connection but interference with your neighbors who are also using WiFi on the 2.4GHZ spectrum. Interference will kill your download speeds and interrupt your connection completely and then reconnect over and over.

You need to be wired (They sell usb Wired adapters for laptops) or upgrade your wireless to a dual band wireless router that has "N" Wireless on the 5GHZ Spectrum. Not many people will be running 5 GHZ and you will have no interference with anyone.

Wireless Interference is the #1 problem in urban areas and apartment buildings when it comes to "Slow" internet.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:07 PM

128 posts, read 115,257 times
$43 FIOs 200/200 (internet only) *buy your own router
$10 IPTV ( every cable channel ) not exactly legal but $10 cant help it
$0 Home Phone ( polycom box $50 one time fee and get a free number from google)
$10 WWE Network ( I love wrestling)

Also,
4K Firestick $25-$50 depending on the time You can install free legit and not legit movies and TV show apps.
Dont need these but my friend shares his NETFLIX password in exchange for IPTV connection and
I have Sprint so free HULU w/ ads

Old 01-21-2020, 12:16 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
You came here asking for help. I try to give you different ideas to help you. And this is the way you respond?
Others insights were more helpful. You're focused on the lowest common denominator. Enjoy your day.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:21 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My husband games all of the time, streams all of the time, uploads stuff, watches YT/Hulu---never had a problem on the "slower" internet.

They are lying. I had spectrum for only internet before and it wasn't anywhere close to $100/month. Get some actual numbers from them---what is "substantial?"
I will press them again on this. Thanks for the confirmation.

Is your husband on Xbox live specifically? I read somewhere that it is more demanding than PSN in terms of bandwidth. When I'm playing sometimes my Wife cannot really watch Netflix without it buffering.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:07 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
It took moving into a luxury lottery unit to get FIOS. I love it more than Spectrum for sure, but even there I was getting 300 down 4 up for $49.99. I almost never upload anything big, so 4 up basically feels like the 100 up I have now. It wasn't the most stable thing in the world, but still no where near what some people seem to be paying for their bundles for potentially worse service, and I lived in a tiny old tenement from 1900.

One way we could get back at the cable companies is if we all change our viewing patterns and stop watching TV. There's alternate ways to watch most of what's worth watching without the annoying commercials. The alternative routes also get you stuff that no cable package could ever buy. Alas, even my dad, mom, and sister have cable bundles, so this shalt forever persist and we'll be hearing the same complaints for the next 50 or so years.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:59 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I know...ppl dont really need that much speed. Ever use a T1 before? That's like lightning.
T1 is long gone in the past. Having 1TB+ is what is needed to have now.

https://www.business.org/services/in...iness-a-boost/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City