Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 04:06 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,736,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Holdover from the Cold War, or the powerful Jewish lobby.
No, not just the Jews. Also, Greeks, Mennonites, Baptists, Russian ethnic Germans, and other groups. The Jews were a major category though, because they were the most numerous who actually wanted to leave the country (because they had Israel now).
These groups were denied permission to leave the country, and in my specific case, denied permission to even leave the city we lived in, even if you want to go to live in another city within the same country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 04:25 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,551,852 times
Quote:
Illegal immigration undermines legal immigration, so if you pander to the undocumented than you do endorse slavery and human trafficking.

It will be better to urge guest worker programs for Mexicans and Central Americans, as they are close to the USA and will return home once their jobs are finished, and will also likely leave the families there and will retire there as well. So their only engagement to the USA will be what they really want and that is to be workers.

I don't hear any of the AOC open border types with that though. They scream "abolish ICE" and seem to think that an illegal migrant cannot be deported if caught by ICE/CBP.

Id love it if both parties could agree on guest worker programs. But the present GOP is anti immigrant, full stop, and is trying its best to eliminate legal immigration as well.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:38 PM

8,423 posts, read 4,449,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Id love it if both parties could agree on guest worker programs. But the present GOP is anti immigrant, full stop, and is trying its best to eliminate legal immigration as well.
Guest worker programs for jobs that cannot be filled with equally qualified US citizens, with automatic deportation for committing crime. The former (guest worker programs) already exists in the form of several types of temporary visas, but maybe the number of temporary visas should be expanded if there is a demand from the US business. The latter (deportation for criminal activity) should be implemented by all means. Both items are pretty normal in most countries, why should the US be an exception? It is not normal or allowed for US citizens to illegally immigrate into any Central American country, why should the opposite be normal or allowed? Every other country is allowed to have borders, except it is somehow immoral for the US to have the southern border. Two out of three president's wives (including the present and probably final one, unless she leaves him) were immigrants, so I'd say he is not all that anti-immigrant :-).

Old 02-05-2020, 04:43 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,570,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
No, not just the Jews. Also, Greeks, Mennonites, Baptists, Russian ethnic Germans, and other groups. The Jews were a major category though, because they were the most numerous who actually wanted to leave the country (because they had Israel now).
These groups were denied permission to leave the country, and in my specific case, denied permission to even leave the city we lived in, even if you want to go to live in another city within the same country.
And did this include people from the Democratic Republic of the Congo where there was also state enforced persecution?

Of course the others got by as they couldn't just admit the Jews.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
And so why don't you all protest for guest worker programs instead of demanding that ICE be abolished.

NEITHER party advocates for a guest worker program. I suspect because those who fund AOC (wealthy liberals) want cheap maids and landscapers and don't want these people to have the right to challenge them.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Guest worker programs for jobs that cannot be filled with equally qualified US citizens, with automatic deportation for committing crime. The former (guest worker programs) already exists in the form of several types of temporary visas, but maybe the number of temporary visas should be expanded if there is a demand from the US business. The latter (deportation for criminal activity) should be implemented by all means. Both items are pretty normal in most countries, why should the US be an exception? It is not normal or allowed for US citizens to illegally immigrate into any Central American country, why should the opposite be normal or allowed? Every other country is allowed to have borders, except it is somehow immoral for the US to have the southern border. Two out of three president's wives (including the present and probably final one, unless she leaves him) were immigrants, so I'd say he is not all that anti-immigrant :-).
People don't use the guest worker programs as they are bureaucratic, and time consuming. In addition employers aren't punished for hiring undocumented workers so prefer that source. Easier, and cheaper ansd they can harass those who "create trouble".

Americans have no incentive to live in those nations illegally, so don't even raise that topic.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
People don't use the guest worker programs as they are bureaucratic, and time consuming. In addition employers aren't punished for hiring undocumented workers so prefer that source. Easier, and cheaper ansd they can harass those who "create trouble".

Americans have no incentive to live in those nations illegally, so don't even raise that topic.

Getting a temporary work visa for the US, for a qualified foreigner, is not more bureaucratic or time consuming than any regular job application is for a US citizen. Getting a Green Card or citizenship is the whole another story, but temporary visas are straight-forward if you have a temporary job in the US.

So, the US should import unemployable gang members from El Salvador just because they have an incentive to live in the US? What about the US not having any incentive to import them?

Old 02-05-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
And so why don't you all protest for guest worker programs instead of demanding that ICE be abolished.

NEITHER party advocates for a guest worker program. I suspect because those who fund AOC (wealthy liberals) want cheap maids and landscapers and don't want these people to have the right to challenge them.
I think you're projecting an avatar upon me, friend. I can't answer for those who advocate for the thing you don't want and not the thing you do.

As for your second point, AOC and the rest of the Dems favor a path to residency and citizenship. I don't know everyone's position on a guest worker program but I would expect 100 pct support.

However, the GOP Had 2 years to make immigration whatever they wanted to. They did very little except for make a lot of noise . I don't think you can blame the Democrats for the Republicans failures to implement any meaningful immigration reform.

But. Let's just be happy you and I agree on guest workers and call it a night

Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Getting a temporary work visa for the US, for a qualified foreigner, is not more bureaucratic or time consuming than any regular job application is for a US citizen. Getting a Green Card or citizenship is the whole another story, but temporary visas are straight-forward if you have a temporary job in the US.

So, the US should import unemployable gang members from El Salvador just because they have an incentive to live in the US? What about the US not having any incentive to import them?
It's next to impossible to get temporary work visa if you come from anywhere in Latin America.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
It's next to impossible to get temporary work visa if you come from anywhere in Latin America.
Get real. There are licensed agencies that will get domestic workers from any country you care to name. Foreign nannies can be employed via two different types of visa. The overwhelming number of domestic workers in the US are from Latin America, and are on these visas. I know a physician from a Latin American country who came into the US as a domestic worker because that was far easier than to come here as a physician. She was cleaning a house and taking care of twin toddlers for a couple of years while searching for a residency training :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City