Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 01:15 PM

1,424 posts, read 726,724 times

Advertisements

Watch ASP be extended to parts of the city that previously never had it in a few months. Mark my words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 01:20 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Watch ASP be extended to parts of the city that previously never had it in a few months. Mark my words.
I doubt it

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-21-2020, 03:08 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They need to change how street cleaning parking rules are enforced. The law would be against actually interfering with street sweeping, not just parking while alternate side is on. Instead of having the brownies writing up anyone parking (defined as no one being in/with the car) in a spot that's in it's alternate side period, they should put cameras on the street sweepers, record the plate of anyone blocking the sweeper (whether the driver is in the car or not), and send them a ticket. That's the only enforcement there'd be.

This would do a couple things. First, once the sweeper is past, people wouldn't have to stay in their cars. It's a little idiotic to force people to do this past the point where it serves any purpose. Second, it would penalize people who stay in their cars and still block the sweeper. I see this a lot. And it means a fair amount of gutter doesn't get swept. If these people started getting fined, they'd the the pluck out of the way. Third, if there wasn't a need to manual enforce ASP, they could cut down the number of brownies the city needs. I see it as a win all around.

Ok, let me break this down for you like a fraction.

In NYS "no parking" means just that; you cannot park or stand in a spot. You can make a "temporary" stop to pick-up or discharge passengers or something, but sitting in your vehicle is considered parking and thus in violation.

Most of these tiny Paki or other Indian parking enforcement agents don't have balls enough to confront someone sitting in their ride on ASP days. OTOH have seen plenty of white, Latino-Hispanic and AA PEA tell a driver sitting in his ride to move it or else. When he/she didn't comply they whipped out that machine and quickly scanned or started writing license plate number for a ticket. Once that happens even if driver pulls away they can still complete the ticket. It will be up to an administrative judge to decide if it can be dismissed or not.

As for balance of your post and this thread, upping the ante to $65 won't do much if anything to change behavior. Fine is already that on UES and other areas below 96th in Manhattan, and guess what? People still don't move their ride.

Have seen people sit in their vehicle while street sweeper is leaning on his horn for them to move; a good number just flip the guy off and don't move forcing DSNY to go around. Only if they see NYPD or PEA coming to they move.

Others simply do the math; even a $45 or $65 ticket is often cheaper than putting a vehicle in garage. Have seen rides parked on street for one, two, three, four or more weeks while owner went away. NYPD did not a GD thing but issue tickets to one car that sat parked on our street for over two months a few years ago.

ASP only affects each side of street twice a week, so people just do the math and decide their time is more valuable.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-a-hack-fo...nyc-1829355760

City should up the fine to $100, and start allowing DSNY to slap those big a$$ ugly stickers on windows again. That should bring more people into compliance.

Finally quite honestly problem starts at precinct. Many NYPD have been told or whatever by local command to turn a blind eye towards certain parking violations. Things like people double parking their rides, going back inside or whatever until ASP is over. This means someone is blocked and starts leaning on their horn to get out.

Also has have stated many PEA are GD lazy, especially when weather is bad. You find them all in Starbucks or somewhere doing anything but giving out tickets.

Have sat in my ride on a cold morning and seen it; by 930 not one GD PEA has been down street. By 1015 still same. Why am I the only eegit who bothers?

Old 02-21-2020, 03:09 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
The issue here is sometimes the sweeper needs to make a second pass, or even a third pass so someone may move their car and as soon as the sweeper passes put their car back then the sweeper does a second pass and snaps a pic.

The real money grab will be forcing people to move their cars (double park) and then give them a ticket for double parking during ASP $115 + mandatory admin fee. Although the double parking during ASP is overlooked and virtually never enforced because officers know the cars have to go somewhere while the street is cleaned....giving double parking tickets during ASP will be a hilarious money grab and a punch in the face!
It's always been a grab a money grab IMO. The street sweepers do virtually nothing but swivel dust and dirt around. it doesn't actually clean anything.

One would think that the job would be done quicker and more efficiently if they hired someone with a broom and a dust pan

Old 02-21-2020, 03:12 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
I can't remember the last time I saw a street sweeper.

Revenue grab.
Yup, same with speeding cameras and red light cameras. Whenever the windfall of cash gets tighter, they just add more of them and claim that it's for "safety" purposes

Old 02-21-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It's always been a grab a money grab IMO. The street sweepers do virtually nothing but swivel dust and dirt around. it doesn't actually clean anything.

One would think that the job would be done quicker and more efficiently if they hired someone with a broom and a dust pan
That's because years ago for reasons known only to DSNY/city they stopped using water to clean city streets.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Yup, same with speeding cameras and red light cameras. Whenever the windfall of cash gets tighter, they just add more of them and claim that it's for "safety" purposes
Nothing sucks my left n** more than getting up, sitting in my ride on ASP day only to find not a single pass by DSNY. Why am I wasting my time?

Last year came home early Friday morning after Thanksgiving and couldn't find a spot good for ASP, so had to get up.... Just as with previous Friday's after that holiday DSNY did not sweep the street, so don't now why city just doesn't suspend ASP. It's not like anything is going to happen anyway...

Old 02-21-2020, 03:21 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,683 times
Quote:

This was what i use to normally see Welfare recipients and community service people do. Even winter, the city pay people to shovel out the hydrants and clear bus stops they should have welfare recipients and community service people (whose are physically able) do it.
I haven't seen them in a while though

Old 02-21-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
This was what i use to normally see Welfare recipients and community service people do. Even winter, the city pay people to shovel out the hydrants and clear bus stops they should have welfare recipients and community service people (whose are physically able) do it.
I haven't seen them in a while though
Have seen criminals doing community service cleaning streets in front of buildings (sweeping sidewalks, picking up trash, etc...). But any wholesale use of welfare recipients or whatever to clean streets would likely tick off DSNY unions. I mean if you can use "free" labor, then you don't need as many union workers now do you?

Various business districts have those homeless guys in blue uniforms "Ready, Willing and Able" who clean streets, but that is something else.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:13 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Thank god I live on a private street!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City