Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 06:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is exactly why for starters the occupancy laws have to be enforced. We need reasonable immigration for and a path to citizenship. Immigration must be regulates we cannot have unlimited numbers of undocumented coming as we do not have unlimited resources. Maybe Trump was right about the wall.

If we had open borders and unregulated immigration think of all the disease that could be spread.
I think the narrative that no one is illegal because we're all human is going to change after the world gets through this COVID-19 pandemic. AOC means well I'm sure, but it's irresponsible for any government to have open borders with no vetting, no record-keeping, no background checks. As we see with this situation that we're currently living through, a government is responsible for keeping its legal citizens safe in various situations. A gov't can't do that if they don't even know or have records on 10-25% or more of the population living within its borders.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:28 PM

Default This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Maybe the comprehensive immigration bill that was proposes years ago. The one that the tea party rebelled against. It had boarder security in it. But anyway you can't have a walk built if employers are free to hire illegals without penalty. That was the issue all along
This.

Had the laws been enforced, the situation would not have ballooned out of controlled. Employers who broke the law hiring illegal immigrants should have been fined so high that they'd make a more concerted effort going forward to hire people who have their legal paperwork in order.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:33 PM

874 posts, read 454,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post

"No one in their right mind, except Xi and his CCP propaganda, will even think of denying that the outbreak originated in China
and spread to the rest of the globe. Trump fell to CCP’s anger trap and reacted irrationally to say."
it did originate there......not the fault of Americas leaders, governors and mayors....(not even nancy pelosi)!

"No one in their right mind, except Xi and his CCP propaganda, will even think of denying that the outbreak originated in China..."

gimme 5 bro.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:34 PM

Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Oh they purchased something that actually didnt exist. Money laundering.

I cant think about when there was ever a high demand for ventilators?
Good question.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:38 PM

Default Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusue View Post
don't forget brokenlyn....["likely went to"]...as well...
lmbo at they went to Gino's!

Old 03-27-2020, 07:32 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I suspect I may have had it back in the beginning of Feb now. I was sick like I never was. Stayed home for 2 weeks. Assumed it was the flu that turned into a sinus infection. Started off as a dry cough, then four days of a fever and sweats, then fever broke and clogged sinuses, head ache, harder to breathe then normal, fatigued like never before, etc etc... When I returned to the real world I still was fatigued for another week.
Same here minus the sinus issues. I don't recall having that kind of prolonged fatigue with previous Flus

Old 03-27-2020, 07:36 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Apparently the Hampton's want to keep people from the city out.

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/27/hampt...371.1574556446

Old 03-27-2020, 08:19 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
leoliu,

Of course not every single Asian person lives that way but do you deny that many or some Asians do live this way? Well, that is what people are referring to. Remember, for the past few years when this board was dominated with threads highlighting all the ills of NYC's ghetto community, you always had PLENTY to say.

Not that you told lies against the ghetto community. While not all Blacks who live in NYC ghettos are lazy, violent, out-of-wedlock baby makers, who are anti-education, there are a sizable number who do check all of those boxes. You never had a problem discussing their shortcomings and giving your own experiences with these types as if it included ALL Blacks. You never pointed out that NOT all fit into a negative scenario. But what comes round goes around.

Now, this pandemic has hit and for a change, it's a negative social incident that CAN'T be blamed on Africa nor working class / low-income nor ghetto Blacks in NYC. This event is associated with China. While the majority of us, Americans, know that not all Asians spread this virus and even those who did, returning from Chinese New Year holiday visit, had no idea they were even infected until it was too late to do anything about it.

Nevertheless, you'll learn to whether this storm of negativity against your community. It's the same thing that the Black community have been dealing with for a very long time and still do. Same for Latinos, they've had a lot of negativity against them and still do. Add Middle-East Muslims to this list. Even the largest population in America, Whites/Caucasians, have dealt with racial negativity against them by every other group especially over the past couple of years as the term "White Privilege" was weaponized against them.

Now, negativity is being spoken against Asian countries and the Asian community way of living is being scrutinized and discussed in less than stellar terms on this board. Just remember how you've negativity talked about the "other" when Blacks were being scrutinized; I don't recall ever reading a post of yours that was negative against any other group. Well, karma is back to visit you.

Thanks for following my posting history on this forum. I often put a lot of good thoughts and intelligence currency into my posts, hoping that will help readers like you to gain insightful perspectives on complex issues... I do encounter a few dense readers who are impossible to enlighten, no matter how I tried, so I felt bad about wasting my time...

Re the recent exploding negativity on the Asian community, thanks for pointing it out and sharing your perspectives. I am so aware that 99% people harbor prejudice, bias, negativity, hostility and even hatred at different levels towards other people for no direct reasons. I know how to ignore it when it comes my way because I know that it is useless trying to change how other think through arguments...I cannot even teach my teen child to follow common sense at times... I am sheltering in home and duly concerned by the ongoing epidemic in nyc metro. I have some time to kill so I came here more often than I should to share my valuable perspectives on the situation and try to help dismiss some misinformation/lies circulated by politicians at all levels and colors.

Re the Asian crowding, I wasn’t offended by that blanket statement from a naive poster... what is the point anyway...I happened to be awake late at night and wanted to poke some late night fun by feeding into it. Of course I know that some fob Asians live in crowds. I understand that It is their way of hacking it in nyc while supporting their families back in Asia. As long as they mind their own business and work hard to serve the community in exchange of some sweat money to support themselves, it is no issue for me. I don’t understand why some are so pissed with them... If These fob Asians could put up in someone’s basement for free, I don’t think they will choose to crow with others. Picking on these struggling populations in our society reveals the poor moral values of those posters...

Re my comments on ghetto crime, I might have made blanket statements that offended good ghetto residents (you included??). I am strongly anti crime (of all sorts), but I should and will use more specific language in posting on a public forum. I can assure you that I identify with all hard working, honest and law abiding people regardless of their origin and social class.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
leoliu,

Of course not every single Asian person lives that way but do you deny that many or some Asians do live this way? Well, that is what people are referring to. Remember, for the past few years when this board was dominated with threads highlighting all the ills of NYC's ghetto community, you always had PLENTY to say.

Not that you told lies against the ghetto community. While not all Blacks who live in NYC ghettos are lazy, violent, out-of-wedlock baby makers, who are anti-education, there are a sizable number who do check all of those boxes. You never had a problem discussing their shortcomings and giving your own experiences with these types as if it included ALL Blacks. You never pointed out that NOT all fit into a negative scenario. But what comes round goes around.

Now, this pandemic has hit and for a change, it's a negative social incident that CAN'T be blamed on Africa nor working class / low-income nor ghetto Blacks in NYC. This event is associated with China. While the majority of us, Americans, know that not all Asians spread this virus and even those who did, returning from Chinese New Year holiday visit, had no idea they were even infected until it was too late to do anything about it.

Nevertheless, you'll learn to whether this storm of negativity against your community. It's the same thing that the Black community have been dealing with for a very long time and still do. Same for Latinos, they've had a lot of negativity against them and still do. Add Middle-East Muslims to this list. Even the largest population in America, Whites/Caucasians, have dealt with racial negativity against them by every other group especially over the past couple of years as the term "White Privilege" was weaponized against them.

Now, negativity is being spoken against Asian countries and the Asian community way of living is being scrutinized and discussed in less than stellar terms on this board. Just remember how you've negativity talked about the "other" when Blacks were being scrutinized; I don't recall ever reading a post of yours that was negative against any other group. Well, karma is back to visit you.
Preface: The Asian "way of living" in USA isn't a monolith, but the vast majority of Asian immigrants historically are unskilled and uneducated Fujianese and Guangzhou migrant workers whom have settled down in Flushing and Chinatown respectively. These are people from the countryside of China who came here because they were effectively disenfranchised at home.

Every minority will have their turn being discriminated against. ABCs (American Born Chinese) can be hyper sensitive on this topic and don't want to be associated with FOBs (Fresh Off the Boat) but it's also a generational issue. Mainland Chinese Boomers are just as deplorable as American Baby Boomers. They basically sat by watching the CCP (Communist Chinese Party) /PRC (People's Republic of China) government destroy China. This goes beyond nationality, culture or race but rather idealism. Chinese Boomers born in rural areas are also incredibly ignorant regarding virology (compared to country bumpkins in USA) and many are unaware that viruses are spread by spitting, coughing and sneezing. They are unaware that living with too many extended family members and friends helps spread contagions.

Many could say it's White Washed but to me the best hope for Mainland Chinese people is the Taiwanese, HK or Singaporean models for a post-confucian society. But the average Chinese similar to American does not think about politics or government. They only think about their immediate family and friends. And I fully understand that it's impossible to replicate small country methods on a big scale. But the fact remains that SARS V1 never got this far for a reason. Because it was stamped out by HK, not the PRC.

This is why COVID19 has spread: Because the PRC is incompetent and the wrong government for a modern society. In particular it is incompatible with Traditional Chinese values. PRC encouraged giving birth to a large amount of kids even when farming started to be automated requiring less manual labor. This was directly opposite to Confucian values. Mao caused plagues and pandemics in the past with his stupid ignorant hillbilly policies unfounded in science. Xi continues the saga erasing any progress or sensibility from the Den Xiaoping era.

The perfect storm that breeds every fathomable humanitarian crisis. We need China to reclaim it's roots and shed these dysfunctional pseudo Marx ideologies to defeat this virus and prevent new ones from taking hold.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:33 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Apparently the Hampton's want to keep people from the city out.

https://pagesix.com/2020/03/27/hampt...371.1574556446

I found some dark humor in the narratives below...it is hilarious, albeit in a saddening context...

I had one customer spend $8,000,” said Joe Gurrera, founder of upscale supermarket chain Citarella. “You know when you see someone with a full shopping cart? Now they have five.
The well-heeled shoppers are buying “pretty much everything they can,” said Gurrera, whose stores are known for carrying gourmet goods. “Instead of asking for one or two steaks on a tray, a customer will buy the whole tray. Then they’ll move on to shrimp, and buy all the shrimp, and then they’ll buy all the salmon steaks.”
“Once they’re done demolishing the meat and fish section, they move on to the prepared foods, Gurrera said. “Instead of asking for a slice of lasagna, they’ll buy all of it. Then they’ll buy all of our root vegetables,” he added.
“Business is insane. We are doing far more business than in July and August,” said Gurrera, who has four stores in Manhattan, three in the Hamptons and one in Greenwich, Connecticut. “People are spending thousands of dollars at a time.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.