Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support it?
Yes 58 35.58%
No 87 53.37%
Don`t care 18 11.04%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 07:32 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Did plenty for me. I’m about to hit 100 hours of overtime.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-12-2020, 08:27 AM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
agree with pretty much all of this.
black lives matter- as long as they're ended by white cops.
I am intrigued that anyone would lionize and make heroes out of George Floyd, Treyvon Martin, Michael Brown and the like.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:44 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No No No

The media does not report black people speaking out against crime in their neighborhoods

Thats what I was saying, thought that was clear.
Well they do here, especially when a child is killed. They interview crying parents and relatives with their pleas for it to stop. You need to come visit the Chi town in the summer and just watch the news at night. Many kids have been killed by stray bullets over the years. Nothing is done by either the parents of these punks nor the community. It's a culture that gets passed down from parent to child. It's just an accepted fact and disgusting. You'll see the occasional father on crying about what a good boy he was after his son has been slaughtered by another banger, but it's mostly mothers and aunties talking about what a good boy he was with tearful pleas to stop, or turn yourself in. It's a culture I'll never be able to wrap my head around. It's just better for them to be upset about a white cop killing a black person. Never mind if that person was a career criminal high on drugs and out of control. Black on black crime? Just tears and pleas. The riots are saved for the black and white issues. The fact that the black person killed by the cop was no pillar in society, well, that's all overlooked and doesn't matter. There is no accountability. There is no acknowledging that the path people walk can determine their fate in a negative way. They want change, but they're not willing to do the work that changes an ignorant culture. Change has to come on both sides of the equation.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:39 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,721 times
No!!! 14 days of mass gatherings during a pandemic when I stayed locked in my house for 3 months to 'flatten the curve." No. If anyone wanted to have a protest, they could get a permit, and do it according to the rules the rest of us have been following like a bunch of patsys. 6 feet apart etc.

Emperor Cuomo was on yesterday WARNING us not to disobey the rules when we open our businesses. Watch out, he says. He will go after you. I'll bet he will go after some bar owner with the full force of government. While he let protests and riots go on. That is exactly his MO--go after the rule followers but let the lawless run free.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:54 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Well they do here, especially when a child is killed. They interview crying parents and relatives with their pleas for it to stop. You need to come visit the Chi town in the summer and just watch the news at night. Many kids have been killed by stray bullets over the years. Nothing is done by either the parents of these punks nor the community. It's a culture that gets passed down from parent to child. It's just an accepted fact and disgusting. You'll see the occasional father on crying about what a good boy he was after his son has been slaughtered by another banger, but it's mostly mothers and aunties talking about what a good boy he was with tearful pleas to stop, or turn yourself in. It's a culture I'll never be able to wrap my head around. It's just better for them to be upset about a white cop killing a black person. Never mind if that person was a career criminal high on drugs and out of control. Black on black crime? Just tears and pleas. The riots are saved for the black and white issues. The fact that the black person killed by the cop was no pillar in society, well, that's all overlooked and doesn't matter. There is no accountability. There is no acknowledging that the path people walk can determine their fate in a negative way. They want change, but they're not willing to do the work that changes an ignorant culture. Change has to come on both sides of the equation.
Well if you want to talk about Chicago specifically, Chicago is big on gang culture, and has been so for decades. Combine that with how CHA operates and I understand why Chicago is the way it is. Are you familiar with Alex Kotzlowitz's "There Are No Children Here?"

But you're talking Chicago, not NYC. If you stick to NYC, I will be happy to continue this dialogue.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-12-2020, 12:34 PM

802 posts, read 1,367,174 times
When are they going to name streets after George Floyd?
or maybe a statue of him somewhere in Manhattan?

Old 06-12-2020, 12:37 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No No No

The media does not report black people speaking out against crime in their neighborhoods

Thats what I was saying, thought that was clear.
this.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:41 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am intrigued that anyone would lionize and make heroes out of George Floyd, Treyvon Martin, Michael Brown and the like.
It's insulting.
Floyd was not a hero, he was a murder victim.

If people don't want to talk about his past that's fine because he absolutely was murdered. But then you can't call him a hero.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:02 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
It's insulting.
Floyd was not a hero, he was a murder victim.

If people don't want to talk about his past that's fine because he absolutely was murdered. But then you can't call him a hero.
right, he's a martyr, not a hero

Old 06-12-2020, 01:03 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post

Are you going to explain purpose behind your thoughts as to why, or is everyone supposed to guess?
Well black momma jesus up there is preaching how it's ok for black rioters to burn and sack black businesses because black people don't actually own anything

She's a real genius that one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City