Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 06:02 AM

106,681 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
My Life Matters
it's the only one that counts when all is said and done .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 07:21 AM

5,071 posts, read 2,180,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
at the end of the day it is only about you and your family and how they are doing . how others do , is a moot point .

if you are doing okay then things are not so bad .. if you are not doing okay then things are terrible.

no one else is looking out for you .
100 percent true

Old 07-29-2020, 07:24 AM

keep in mind many low wage earners in our city are also earning money through the multi trillion dollar under ground economy or off the books in addition . .

Old 07-29-2020, 11:22 AM

813 posts, read 403,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
keep in mind many low wage earners in our city are also earning money through the multi trillion dollar under ground economy or off the books in addition . .
How do you know this? Seems illegal and that only certain people would be wise to it.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 07-29-2020 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: add text

Old 07-29-2020, 12:02 PM

6,670 posts, read 2,975,051 times
I used to work at Bagels on the Square down in Greenwich for a summer in the mid 90's.
In the basement, rolling out bagels. Paid cash.

It was more like an employee there had me help them and I got paid from him.

There is money to be made off the books everywhere. So much needs to run in the city. So many people.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
How do you know this? Seems illegal and that only certain people would be wise to it.
Because a multi trillion dollar ILLEGAL under ground economy says so .....many in the hood neighborhoods live off it as well as many wealthy

Old 07-29-2020, 02:53 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Where have you been? Illegals and others have been working off the books in city (and elsewhere) for years.

Even news media reports come right out and say it; who do you think make up a good portion of renters who are unemployed and busted, but cannot get benefits, nor got federal stimulus checks?

"Mr. Rodriguez Herrera understands his employer’s predicament, he told me. He would prefer to stay home, out of harm’s way. But as a minimum-wage worker, earning just $15 per hour plus tips without any paid sick time or health insurance, losing work was almost as scary as getting sick. “I don’t know how I’m going to pay the rent in the coming month,” he said. “I have no savings, no money right now. I guess I’m going to ask somebody if I can borrow some money.” On top of that, Mr. Rodriguez Herrera is undocumented, and so ineligible for unemployment insurance, Medicaid, food stamps, cash and housing assistance, despite two steady decades of living and laboring in the United States."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/o...-new-york.html

Construction, services, delivery persons, restaurant/hospitality, pizzerias, delis, coffee joints, small businesses and shops, etc... tons of place hire illegals off the books. Everyone knows this is going on but there isn't the belly to crack down as it would destroy large part of city's economy.

Forget immigration, if IRS started going after some of these places for unpaid payroll and other taxes there would be mayhem. Worse if IRS began making a few examples and perusing criminal action there would be plenty of empty seats at dinner tables.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:00 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Where have you been? Illegals and others have been working off the books in city (and elsewhere) for years.

Even news media reports come right out and say it; who do you think make up a good portion of renters who are unemployed and busted, but cannot get benefits, nor got federal stimulus checks?

"Mr. Rodriguez Herrera understands his employer’s predicament, he told me. He would prefer to stay home, out of harm’s way. But as a minimum-wage worker, earning just $15 per hour plus tips without any paid sick time or health insurance, losing work was almost as scary as getting sick. “I don’t know how I’m going to pay the rent in the coming month,” he said. “I have no savings, no money right now. I guess I’m going to ask somebody if I can borrow some money.” On top of that, Mr. Rodriguez Herrera is undocumented, and so ineligible for unemployment insurance, Medicaid, food stamps, cash and housing assistance, despite two steady decades of living and laboring in the United States."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/o...-new-york.html

Construction, services, delivery persons, restaurant/hospitality, pizzerias, delis, coffee joints, small businesses and shops, etc... tons of place hire illegals off the books. Everyone knows this is going on but there isn't the belly to crack down as it would destroy large part of city's economy.

Forget immigration, if IRS started going after some of these places for unpaid payroll and other taxes there would be mayhem. Worse if IRS began making a few examples and perusing criminal action there would be plenty of empty seats at dinner tables.
Maybe they should

All these places crying about Covid shutting them down were prolly paying ppl off the books anyway

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-29-2020, 03:10 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Maybe they should

All these places crying about Covid shutting them down were prolly paying ppl off the books anyway
Everyone knows this goes on and it happens pretty much to some extent from Maine to California.

That being said majority is in "blue" states with liberal immigrant policies like New York and California. It explains why Mitch McConnell and GOP in senate are loathe to shovel tons of federal covid-19 aid to such places; they know where some of it is going to go....

Take the rent relief Cuomo is rolled out for NYS; like California and a few others illegal immigrants qualify for assistance. CA does it outright to anyone, NYS only requires that one member of a household be an American citizen. However they are counting everyone in the home including children, and since many illegals have children born on US soil......

In essence federal and local tax dollars are going to people even though their employers did not collect/pay taxes.

Some will say another portion of illegals work with stolen or fake SSNs, thus pay taxes (payroll) but will never get any benefits. Yes, that is true but the underground economy likely still is larger and thus far more money is being left on the table.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:44 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Everyone knows this goes on and it happens pretty much to some extent from Maine to California.

That being said majority is in "blue" states with liberal immigrant policies like New York and California. It explains why Mitch McConnell and GOP in senate are loathe to shovel tons of federal covid-19 aid to such places; they know where some of it is going to go....

Take the rent relief Cuomo is rolled out for NYS; like California and a few others illegal immigrants qualify for assistance. CA does it outright to anyone, NYS only requires that one member of a household be an American citizen. However they are counting everyone in the home including children, and since many illegals have children born on US soil......

In essence federal and local tax dollars are going to people even though their employers did not collect/pay taxes.

Some will say another portion of illegals work with stolen or fake SSNs, thus pay taxes (payroll) but will never get any benefits. Yes, that is true but the underground economy likely still is larger and thus far more money is being left on the table.
You got proof to the bolded Bugs?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City