Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 09:06 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
my kitchen says 70 right now, (10:20pm)I'm not a happy camper, I like 76 better, so while I sit here typing, I have my trusty little electric heater on...

My electric bill was terrible this month, but I promised myself I would not complain about the heat this year.......so, when I feel a chill, I turn Mr Heater on, problem solved....
Yah mine was on none stop the other week for a whole week. Got very hot and I knew something wasn't right...Now it's on but barely warm. I prefer sweating and being naked to be chilly and bundled up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 06:51 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Yah mine was on none stop the other week for a whole week. Got very hot and I knew something wasn't right...Now it's on but barely warm. I prefer sweating and being naked to be chilly and bundled up.

I agree.

It is hard sometimes when the temperature outside is not too cold, but not warm, then the heat is not on enough.

Every year they start out low with the heat, and then I would call to let them know if it needs more or not, since I am an owner and live on the top floor. But, some of the tenants, (I have heard thru the grapevine) complain it is too hot, so I wanna punish them by not asking for more heat this year, and I want them to freeze

What these idiot tenants don't understand, because most of them are dumb, is that the top floor we are the last to get the heat, but the first to lose it....

So, so far it really hasn't been that cold out, so we will see.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:18 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
I agree.

It is hard sometimes when the temperature outside is not too cold, but not warm, then the heat is not on enough.

Every year they start out low with the heat, and then I would call to let them know if it needs more or not, since I am an owner and live on the top floor. But, some of the tenants, (I have heard thru the grapevine) complain it is too hot, so I wanna punish them by not asking for more heat this year, and I want them to freeze

What these idiot tenants don't understand, because most of them are dumb, is that the top floor we are the last to get the heat, but the first to lose it....

So, so far it really hasn't been that cold out, so we will see.
How are you punishing your neighbors when you are the one on the top floor and lose heat first?

Old 12-09-2020, 01:08 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
How are you punishing your neighbors when you are the one on the top floor and lose heat first?

I have the heater now, so if I am cold, and I most likely will be cold, I plug it in. I don't care about the electric bill.

So when it is really cold out and they (any tenant) calls for heat, like the LL did once before, a tenant was told: Well, (insert my name) hasn't called, so it cant be that cold....and he didn't turn it up.....

that was what one of the tenants had told me.....

So, as an owner, I have a little "whatever" here......

Old 12-09-2020, 01:14 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
No heat on during the day at all

Old 12-09-2020, 03:35 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
It might be worth reminding Non NYC residents how much you are paying for your apartment that provides no heat in the dead of winter ? I think people will be amused to read about it.

I was paying upwards of $3,500 a month with a $300 heating bill.....and I was still freezing. I had to sleep in a sleeping bag....under my blankets to keep warm.

I don't think anyone can truly understand what it feels like to pay this kind of money and be denied heat during an East Coast winter but many will write it off as " This is NYC ! ".

I feel really sorry for people that don't have heat. You are being robbed.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:34 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
i have the heater now, so if i am cold, and i most likely will be cold, i plug it in. I don't care about the electric bill.

So when it is really cold out and they (any tenant) calls for heat, like the ll did once before, a tenant was told: Well, (insert my name) hasn't called, so it cant be that cold....and he didn't turn it up.....

That was what one of the tenants had told me.....

So, as an owner, i have a little "whatever" here......
lol

Old 12-10-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
No heat on during the day at all
Have you tried bleeding your radiator?

Old 12-10-2020, 02:55 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
I learned on TikTok that when radiator heat was introduced into NYC in 2018, the premise was to turn the radiator on and open the window - as a way to circulate fresh air and keep the apartment warm - I know people do this, but I hadn't read anyone say that this is exactly what was intended to keep the population warm and well (with the circulated fresh air).

You're not being sneaky when you open a window - it's the way the system was initially designed.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I learned on TikTok that when radiator heat was introduced into NYC in 2018, the premise was to turn the radiator on and open the window - as a way to circulate fresh air and keep the apartment warm - I know people do this, but I hadn't read anyone say that this is exactly what was intended to keep the population warm and well (with the circulated fresh air).

You're not being sneaky when you open a window - it's the way the system was initially designed.
Tik Tok is a learning tool

Radiator heat has been around NYC LONG before 2018!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: