Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2020, 11:15 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My coworkers and I have the ability to get regular antigen and antibody testing. We have been working the entire time, taking public transit, working in close spaces and sharing spaces with others, etc. Most of us have continuously tested negative for both the antibody and antigen tests. We had 2 people who were positive at the beginning---tested because they had symptoms. Luckily, even though we were sharing workspace with them, we did not get sick from them in our windowless rooms. This was even at the time when masks weren't mandatory yet. So, no, no herd immunity here and regardless, they are finding a large percentage of patients lose antibodies after a few months anyway.

a few questions I'm curious about, if you don't mind

a) this sounds like office work. How common is it that office jobs have been continuing?
b) you've been getting that up the nose swab test? How regularly?
c) everybody is wearing a mask in the office?
d) it sounds like you are describing a cubicle work space, looking at the whole work day is it pretty easy to keep the physical distance?
e) do certain employees frequently get close to each other talking? maybe people who have masks on but don't care about the distancing
f) how do most of the employees do lunch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 12:03 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

a) this sounds like office work. How common is it that office jobs have been continuing?
d) it sounds like you are describing a cubicle work space, looking at the whole work day is it pretty easy to keep the physical distance?
e) do certain employees frequently get close to each other talking? maybe people who have masks on but don't care about the distancing
I have been working from home and only coming to the office when no one else is there to do this or that. Only a handful of times have all of us been in the office, and we all masked up the entire time.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:20 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
I have the option of returning to the office but I don't.
If I did, I'd have to:

- Download a COVID application on my mobile device, where I'd answer questions regarding fever, close contact with anyone who had COVID, and traveling, etc., before I went to work. I would have to submit the results to our employee health screening offices, which the application does once the submit button is clicked

- Take my temperature at a designated entrance. (We can't go in through the front, we have to go through a back door where all equipment is)
- Wear a mask (which is provided at no cost at the entrance)
- I would also have to submit saliva tests every two weeks, which are also available at the entrance. The saliva test is mailed to an offsite address. The application would tell me if I tested positive or negative. If I'm positive the application will not let me proceed with the answers, it sort of locks with a countdown. It default with a message to stay home, until the countdown of 14 days is over.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:00 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I just don't understand why anyone would go back to the office if you can’t actually meet up with anyone, can’t even sit close to your coworkers and wear a mask all day. That’s defeats the whole purpose of collaboration and everyone might as well stay home until things are truly normal.

The only exception I can think of is if you need to use special equipment or have a public facing position.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:15 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I just don't understand why anyone would go back to the office if you can’t actually meet up with anyone, can’t even sit close to your coworkers and wear a mask all day. That’s defeats the whole purpose of collaboration and everyone might as well stay home until things are truly normal.

The only exception I can think of is if you need to use special equipment or have a public facing position.
Some of us have to go in for things that can't be done at home, otherwise we don't.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:47 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
I haven't been to the office (and further, Manhattan lol) since I left midday on March 12th. Technically, we no longer have an office, we were getting ready for a move to another location, and during this time, they gave up our space at the old building haha. I don't see us going back in any capacity until mid next year at best. The office spaces are available for people who need specialized equipment, but no one at my company can be described as that (we are a holding company, with many companies under the umbrella).

Once we do "go back", not sure how it'll work.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 445,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

Have been back since early June in an office with about 80 people.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:09 PM

1,034 posts, read 671,996 times
“Going back”, commuting for an hour or more.. all of the sudden is not appealing at all. Who the hell wants to be packed on a train like sardines. Or delayed again and again. Now what ?

Old 10-09-2020, 03:16 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Some say people are more productive working together than at home. There is also the in person dynamic which could lead to more group creativity, perhaps a split is best 3 days at home 2 at the office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City