Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times

Advertisements

I would also recommend Williamsburg, near one of the first four stops in Brooklyn on the L train - Bedford, Lorimer, Graham or Grand. Bedford area is super expensive but there may be $2300 2 bedrooms near Graham (my favorite area of Williamsburg). The L to the 6 train to get to Hunter should be pretty quick.

The further out on the L you go, the cheaper it should be (not as nice, not as safe, fewer amenities) but I can't recommend those areas because I don't know them personally.

Williamsburg is better for nightlife than Astoria if that's what you're looking for.

I know you want a 30 minute commute to Hunter, but I think you should also consider Greenpoint - next to Williamsburg. Worse for transit but still should consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 09:02 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Why would you recommend Park Slope when this person said they wanted a "30 min commute to Hunter College in the Upper East Side"?
Yeah, well, ya can't have everything.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to live in Astoria.

30 minute commute or not.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:12 PM

I'm constantly amazed that people come on here to give advice but all they can think of is what they themselves would want. This is a 24 year old who wants places to go out at night and wants to be near Manhattan!! Why would he ever in a million years choose Hollis Hills or Queens Village over Astoria?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post

Well isnt Manhattan sprawl creeping into Astoria?

Also a 30 minute commute is going to have at least 10 mins of walking/waiting, so thats 20 mins on the subway max, not many places outside Manhattan offer that considering Hunter is off the slow 6 train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm constantly amazed that people come on here to give advice but all they can think of is what they themselves would want. This is a 24 year old who wants places to go out at night and wants to be near Manhattan!! Why would he ever in a million years choose Hollis Hills or Queens Village over Astoria?
Totally agree with you on this one. Most newcomers are coming for the Manhattan experience, and should be referred to Manhattan or to a very close place that has its own amenities.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post

Well isnt Manhattan sprawl creeping into Astoria? Astoria is very close to Midtown which is great for a newcomer. I should have also included LIC and Williamsburg though if you want to get technical here.

Also a 30 minute commute is going to have at least 10 mins of walking/waiting, so thats 20 mins on the subway max, not many places outside Manhattan offer that considering Hunter is off the slow 6 train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Totally agree with you on this one. Most newcomers are coming for the Manhattan experience, and should be referred to Manhattan or to a very close place that has its own amenities. People are not coming from far away just to sit on the stoop way out in the boroughs and drink at Joe's tavern.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Despite what other posts here say, Bayside does have some decent nightlife to it on Bell Blvd.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Despite what other posts here say, Bayside does have some decent nightlife to it on Bell Blvd.
I've never been to Bell Blvd, but would you say Bayside fits the OP's original request:

"I would like to live in a place that has a young, city like feeling to it (a place with a younger crowd" ?

As I said, I've never been to Bell Blvd but a city-like feel with a younger crowd is not my impression (from afar) of Bayside.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:38 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,488 times
Williamsburg or greenpoint are the only places that are going to give you night life that you are talking about that is going to keep your commute time down in the outer boroughs but your commute will be more than 30 minutes. More like 45 but its not bad in nyc, its average. In greenpoint BK you would take the G to the E/V to the 6. In williamsburg BK you would take the L to the 6. The L to the 6 is farther but shorter time wise as long as the L is running*&^???. The 23 Ely station that you would be transfering from the G to the E would probably feel creepy and deserted at night for a out of towner. Both williamsburg (the real williamsburg not bushwick or bed sty) and greenpoint are very safe. Both have plenty of hipsters and out of towners so you will feel at home.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 PM

13 posts, read 37,339 times
Hmm.. I think it's likely that something will have to budge.. either your budget or your commute time. A 2-bedroom in Manhattan for 2300 will be tremendously hard to find. The only area I can think of is way above 96th St. on the east side. Astoria is another possibility. Bklyn doesn't seem like a good fit.. as it's not only further away from the Hunter College area and the young bklyn neighborhoods are above your price range.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:14 AM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post

Bayside is great for socializing.

All kinds of restaurants, bars, billiards

great for walking around in the summertime and for nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City