Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 11:47 AM

178 posts, read 82,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
If these folks are going to be released immediately, is there at least some way to tag them with a microchipped bracelet? If they remove the bracelet, they go to jail. And the general public can buy a cheap micrichip reader to try to detect the microchip if something funny is happening? How come nobody is lobbying for that, it seems like a logical idea?
According to Libs that would be racist since it would of course disproportionately affect African Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 12:04 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Face it. We have an incompetent mayor in office. The worst one ever...
Doesn't matter who is in office for me.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-24-2020, 01:27 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Its scary. Best to keep your back against something while waiting for a train. In this case the victim was caught off guard like the woman who got pushed, even though there was an altercation first.

Head on a swivel and back to a solid object while waiting is all one can do. Not a fun way to live or travel. But way to many crazies and criminals underground now. DeBlahsio said this morning there will be an increased police presence underground coming. He failed to mention the quick realase from jail, and the cycle just continuing anyway.
Stand far back from the tracks.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:29 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Rule #1 growing up in NYC. NEVER stand at the foot of the train platform or anywhere near it when a train pulls in. Rule #2 NEVER go into Central Park when it gets dark...unless you are looking for cheap sex !

Old 11-24-2020, 03:34 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,614,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Rule #2 NEVER go into Central Park when it gets dark...unless you are looking for cheap sex !
I've never seen any prostitutes in central park
I guess I haven't been going to the exciting parts of the park

Old 11-24-2020, 03:38 PM

133 posts, read 54,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Its scary. Best to keep your back against something while waiting for a train. In this case the victim was caught off guard like the woman who got pushed, even though there was an altercation first.

Head on a swivel and back to a solid object while waiting is all one can do. Not a fun way to live or travel. But way to many crazies and criminals underground now. DeBlahsio said this morning there will be an increased police presence underground coming. He failed to mention the quick realase from jail, and the cycle just continuing anyway.

I've scanned my periphery on the subway more than ever, especially in the last five or six years or so. As another poster wrote, many people are oblivious to their surroundings, with headphones and nose in the phone. I often see young professional transplant women walking home from the subway late at night, hunched over into their iphone, disregarding common sense and street smarts.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:23 PM

644 posts, read 307,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Well old school NY hipsters, you wanted your "grit" back. Now you have it. Used to hang with you guys, now I have kids, and won't be going near the city for a long time with them. Made the mistake of going in to see what shape it was in back in September. The area around Penn Station is junkie and crazy central. Half naked men standing in the middle of 7th avenue, cops doing nothing. I'm expecting about 5 years of decay. Commercial real estate is going to fall off the face. Bad times ahead. Hey, at least you'll be able to score heroin and shoot up in the street!!
It's not so bad actually, you just "lucked" into one of the really bad spots. That area's along 34th Street has been going downhill for a while. There was a homeless encampment right next to my office for the last couple of years. And of course now its so much worse because many of the commuters and office people are gone. If you ever visit again, head straight for the outer boroughs - they're going strong and feel like the "old" NYC

Old 11-24-2020, 04:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
It's not so bad actually, you just "lucked" into one of the really bad spots. That area's along 34th Street has been going downhill for a while. There was a homeless encampment right next to my office for the last couple of years. And of course now its so much worse because many of the commuters and office people are gone. If you ever visit again, head straight for the outer boroughs - they're going strong and feel like the "old" NYC
They will start to decay as well because the money is leaving the city. Places that were slummy and had major resurgences in the last decade will fall also. None of it is good.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:13 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
They need to repurpose a lot of commercial space into places for the homeless to live in NYC,

Old 11-24-2020, 05:16 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
just have to go back to basic street sense, never stand by the tracks always keep your back to a column or a wall. If you ever get into an interaction with someone never ever walk away and keep your back turned. If you ever do come across force being applied to you on the platform just collapse on the ground don't try to fight the push and even then you're most likely going over it's up to you to get the heck back on the platform no matter how badly injured you are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: