Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 06:10 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The Left are all about empowering women and for women to not be used as demeaning sex objects by men. There is a definite conflict here but of course you make excuses.
You're confused about what a feminist means. It means advocating for the rights of all women to choose what they want to do with their lives, outside of the confines of a patriarchal society. If a woman wants to stay home and have babies, more power to her, it's her choice. If she wants to be a CEO, more power to her, it's her choice. If she wants to sell her body, more power to her, it's her choice. It is not a function of how she exists under the permission of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 06:11 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Not sure I’d mind that much so long as there’s no noise or vandalism. The latter part comes from the general criminal element which goes along with prostitution being underground.
Easy to say all this when you haven’t experienced this yet. I really doubt you are so nonchalant if it came down to those people hanging on your block day and night.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Eh, you say this here because it’s just a forum but everyone knows liberals are nothing if not hypocrites.

I highly doubt you wouldn’t care.
I grew up next to a crack den. You think I'm going to care one whit about a homeless shelter? You know nothing.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:13 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Oh and here’s another one: while the right has conniptions over mask mandates or any little thing which overreaches into the conduct of private citizens, it’s somehow OK to regulate sex via governmental action.

Hmm. Sex sounds like a pretty biological directive. If you want to be hands off our affairs, you should at least be consistent.

That’s why I split and became libertarianish. Despite a lot of BS, there’s a lot more consistency than either Demicans or Republicrats.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:17 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Easy to say all this when you haven’t experienced this yet. I really doubt you are so nonchalant if it came down to those people hanging on your block day and night.
Well, I was a truck driver and spent the night in my fair share of seedy areas with prostitution around. Granted, it’s like spending a night at a motel where prostitutes linger, so I didn’t really live with it, but nevertheless, I instinctually think that criminalizing prostitution is what brings on a lot of the seedier elements surrounding prostitution. If those other elements aren’t present, then no, I don’t particularly care if someone is selling sex in my neighborhood. Someone else’s sex isn’t my concern at all.

Last edited by jcp123; 03-16-2021 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-16-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
You're confused about what a feminist means. It means advocating for the rights of all women to choose what they want to do with their lives, outside of the confines of a patriarchal society. If a woman wants to stay home and have babies, more power to her, it's her choice. If she wants to be a CEO, more power to her, it's her choice. If she wants to sell her body, more power to her, it's her choice. It is not a function of how she exists under the permission of men.
I am not confused. I am fully aware of the Leftist movement. Any suggestion of a women and her sacred sexuality being even used by men in any way are open to being attacked by the Left.

You need to get on the same page with your fellow Leftists.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I grew up next to a crack den. You think I'm going to care one whit about a homeless shelter? You know nothing.
That may just be you and it could just be a lie to win this debate but I am still going to go by the fact that liberals tend to be hypocrites.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Well, I was a truck driver and spent the night in my fair share of seedy areas with prostitution around. Granted, it’s like spending a night at a motel where prostitutes linger, so I didn’t really live with it, but nevertheless, I instinctually think that criminalizing prostitution is what brings on a lot of the seedier elements of prostitution. If those other elements aren’t present, then no, I don’t particularly care if someone is selling sex in my neighborhood. Someone else’s sex isn’t my concern at all.
Eh, then you would be the exception. Here in NYC, the liberals tend to be very hypocritical and NIMBY. There’s no point in debating this now because it hasn’t had a chance to fully play out yet.

I will almost guarantee you that at some point in the future, we will hear stories about some Manhattan neighborhood, likely somewhere in the liberal UES or UWS, getting together to get the city to keep the hookers from their areas.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
That may just be you and it could just be a lie to win this debate but I am still going to go by the fact that liberals tend to be hypocrites.
I'll get banned if I respond to this so I'll simply say do not ever accuse me of being a liar.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:41 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,899 times
Quote:
Because my experience with liberals, especially ones in NYC is that they are fine with things until it’s in their backyard, then they are all up in arms. Take for example, the homeless in the UWS. Most of the liberals there were fine with the homeless allowed to do as they please until it reached their neighborhood, then they started to complain.
Yes this hypocrisy unfortunately exists.

The problem is America is a land of polarized extremes with nothing in-between, especially for minorities. So I am forced to tacitly accept the political party that promotes the idea I should not be shot or automatically assumed guilty because of the color of my skin. Then turn around and have to constantly consider the possibility of getting assaulted by vagrants who roam free because of said party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City