Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 04:39 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
The funny thing is that if you catch Covid and get natural antibodies AND get vaccinated, you have very very good protection that could possibly protect you from Covid for life. Studies are showing that. So why some of those people are still wearing masks even though they have both natural & vaccinated protection is beyond me. Talk about paranoia...
That is not exactly accurate. There are breakthrough COVID19 cases especially of the Delta variant in people that are fully vaccinated.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I did NOT get Covid, influenza. bronchitis or a cold (a rare year) this past year.
Covid avoidance I attribute to Moderna (2 shots) and careful avoidance manuevers, but avoiding the other three I attribute to distancing and mask wearing. <I did not have a flu shot in two years>

So I am doing without a mask this Summer (especially after our 4 day heat wave,) but next cold-flu season I might don my mask again. One doesn't die of a cold but life is better without one. But one CAN die of influenza or bronchitis/pneumonia.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-01-2021 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-01-2021, 11:02 AM

3,477 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You're in NY. It's bound to be mostly Democrat

The science never said everyone take off their masks.

How many times we gotta say it - You do you, but leave everyone to their own personal health preferences.

My mother's friend just got COVID from her 2 month old nephew. She had Moderna in January. The babies carry extremely high viral loads. She should have been wearing a mask and she's gonna be laid out for weeks now.

The vaccine saved her life but now she has to figure out who is going to take care of her husband. Not everyone is privileged like you. Most people can't afford to be sick from this sh** for weeks.
Wow, so much to say about this, so here I go...

First, let me say that I'm sorry to hear about your mom's friend. But do know that she is one of the extremely rare cases of breakthrough infections. I know a few people personally who have Vitiligo and only 1% of people have it. So just because I know a few people that have it, it doesn't mean I'm going to live the rest of my life worrying if my skin will start having white spots. It's an extremely rare condition and just because I know people that have it, it doesn't change the fact that's still extremely rare and my chances of getting it are very very low.

Second, a mask wouldn't have done anything for your mom's friend. Considering she was probably spending time with her nephew for long periods of time, THAT is what caused her to catch the breakthrough infection. She did not catch Covid from the random people that she quickly passed by outside or at the store. So this goes back to my original point where wearing a mask outdoors and indoors is completely useless and just an added discomfort, especially during the heat wave we've been going through. We get Covid from spending long periods of time with the infected person; not from passing by that person for a brief second.

Thirdly, there have been a couple of times where I've had the flu and needed to be out of work for a week to recover. Where's the fear mongering news on this? Many people I know that had Covid had minor symptoms and when vaccinated, it makes the symptoms even less severe. So, it's not worth living the rest of my life in fear, wrapping my face up in layers, running away from people and spraying alcohol on every doorknob I touch. That is just a crazy way to live.

And lastly, your mom's friend did not die from Covid, I assume. So again I say, this virus is not very deadly and even less "deadly" when you're vaccinated. So why would I alter my whole lifestyle and isolate myself from social interactions over something where I have little to no chance of dying from?

Old 07-01-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I did NOT get Covid, influenza. bronchitis or a cold (a rare year) this past year.
Covid avoidance I attribute to Moderna (2 shots) and careful avoidance manuevers, but avoiding the other three I attribute to distancing and mask wearing. <I did not have a flu shot in two years>

So I am doing without a mask this Summer (especially after our 4 day heat wave,) but next cold-flu season I might don my mask again. One doesn't die of a cold but life is better without one. But one CAN die of influenza or bronchitis/pneumonia.

I'm pretty sure 100% of my cold/flu viruses were from sick people at work. I haven't gotten a cold or flu in the past year because I've been working from home all alone. Once we all go back to working 8+ hours in the office and sitting in close proximity with other people for long periods of time, we will start getting the cold and flu again... mask or no mask.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:07 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Covid is over. Star living. And take those diapers off.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Covid is over. Star living. And take those diapers off.

Oh no no no!! Don't ever do that or you will die! Please continue to wear a mask and stay at home as much as possible for, at least, another 10 years.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:31 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Not a fan of the interviewer. He's trying to embarrass people because they want to wear a mask.
I just don't understand, it's like people are more bothered now by people wearing masks then those who didn't wear mask last summer when everyone was suppose to
Let people live and make their own choices for themselves. Why are people more concerned what random people do then their own lives

Yeah no **** he's trying to sarcastically show how stupid they are. I love it.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
That is not exactly accurate. There are breakthrough COVID19 cases especially of the Delta variant in people that are fully vaccinated.

I'm talking about fully vaccinated + natural immunity! Some people already had natural immunity before getting vaccinated and those two combined give you much better immunity that those who got vaccinated but never were previously infected.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:57 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Just like you, I'm planning on wearing my mask during cold/flu season irrespective of COVID. I don't want anyone telling me what I can or cannot do.

To those hating on masks: Enjoy your colds and flus and stay the heck away from me

Old 07-01-2021, 12:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 546,048 times
I just wish they'd stop showing that commercial with the doctors constantly. Numerous times during last night's Mets game, then at least twice during Ch4 11PM news, just a few minutes apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: