Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 07:26 PM

5,689 posts, read 2,617,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Worked how? I've been riding the trains for about 30 years now and the only difference is the lack of graffiti, and less trains coming out of service (at least for me on the A). All other problems persist.
You live in a bubble if you think that's all that's changed in 30 years. And if you notice no difference at all from say 5 years ago to now then your bubble much be really small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 07:29 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
You live in a bubble if you think that's all that's changed in 30 years. And if you notice no difference at all from say 5 years ago to now then your bubble much be really small.
He seems to only use the A train during the week and at set hours anyway. Sorry, that doesn't count. He drives otherwise, so he is pretty sheltered to what is going on in the subway. Yeah yeah yeah, I know the A train has lots of homeless. Yada yada yada, but it is different at rush hour versus other times. Much different. Using the 2 train as an example, I have used it during rush hours. Packed, and not many homeless. Use it on weekends, and it cane be like a moving homeless shelter.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:43 PM

34,103 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
He seems to only use the A train during the week and at set hours anyway. Sorry, that doesn't count. He drives otherwise, so he is pretty sheltered to what is going on in the subway. Yeah yeah yeah, I know the A train has lots of homeless. Yada yada yada, but it is different at rush hour versus other times. Much different. Using the 2 train as an example, I have used it during rush hours. Packed, and not many homeless. Use it on weekends, and it cane be like a moving homeless shelter.
I rarely go to Manhattan on the weekends thats why I don't bother using the train. Maybe 1nce-twice a year I drive in, and thats way before Covid.

In my 20s and early 30s I took the train all weekend all the time all hours and sometimes there were homeless, sometimes they weren't. All I'm saying is that it was always an ongoing problem, it was never completely eradicated.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-15-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
You're right - less iPhones get snatched now, I rarely read a story about an iPhone getting snatched on the train anymore. 5 years ago I think I'd be more likely to hear of an iPhone-snatching incident on the train.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:50 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
I rarely go to Manhattan on the weekends thats why I don't bother using the train. Maybe 1nce-twice a year I drive in, and thats way before Covid.

In my 20s and early 30s I took the train all weekend all the time all hours and sometimes there were homeless, sometimes they weren't. All I'm saying is that it was always an ongoing problem, it was never completely eradicated.
It's wayyyy worse now. Wayyy worse.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:42 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
You're right - less iPhones get snatched now, I rarely read a story about an iPhone getting snatched on the train anymore. 5 years ago I think I'd be more likely to hear of an iPhone-snatching incident on the train.
Phones may or may not be snatched on trains, but plenty of them are outside.

Peeps just zoom by on a bike and grab some clueless person's phone who is so engrossed in that device they aren't paying attention to their surroundings. It happens all the time on UES and other areas of Manhattan at least.

By time NYPD is summoned and shows up guy in bike is long gone.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:47 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,038,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
The fact that many argue so passionately to support the theory of why we aren't great and not HOW CAN WE IMPROVE OUR STATION IN LIFE is exactly why some of us are stuck in such a rut year after year, generation after generation
For some reason, she fails to realize that conservative values produce a different outlook and therefore more positive outcome regardless of skin color and/or history of slavery. She wishes you well because you have identified as black. Otherwise, this bigot would be trashing you like she does many people on here who don’t agree with her.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's wayyyy worse now. Wayyy worse.
I take your word for it. Do me a favor though - from now on when you talk about the subways being worse, make sure to indicate that you're talking about the weekend. That's important to distinguish.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:28 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,949 times
Quote:
I take your word for it. Do me a favor though - from now on when you talk about the subways being worse, make sure to indicate that you're talking about the weekend. That's important to distinguish.
I took the A train to downtown Brooklyn during rush hour on a Friday in mid 2019. There were 2 junkies shooting up on the train like no one's business. Then they finished it off with some snorting. I wondered if they were going to OD. I was surprised no one bat an eyelid.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Phones may or may not be snatched on trains, but plenty of them are outside.

Peeps just zoom by on a bike and grab some clueless person's phone who is so engrossed in that device they aren't paying attention to their surroundings. It happens all the time on UES and other areas of Manhattan at least.

By time NYPD is summoned and shows up guy in bike is long gone.
I saw this happen to a lady outside of HMV on 86 and Lex (if you know HMV then you know circa when this happened), he snatched her purse and ran in the train station so quick, 86 and Lex always attracted an unkempt kind of sort, like I said this has been happening forever, only reason you guys think its worse now is because you're watching the video on your phone and getting alerts about it instead of reading it in a newspaper. Same crap's been happening forever.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City