Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 12:52 PM

3,166 posts, read 2,771,698 times

Advertisements

As far as I know, you can still offer a free month's rent on a rent-stabilized apartment without implications, but you can't actually drop the rent. Preferential rent becomes the new legal rent.

But, yeah, unsurprising to see a bounce back up. One of the reasons I wasn't super-tempted to leave my RS place for the free market. I knew the decline was only temporary and I'd get hit with a big increase in one or two years. Good for kids first coming to the city, not great for older people who don't want to be moving constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 12:55 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,276,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A lot of landlords were offering "free" months as a lure to get people to sign. Let's say a place was going for $3,000 a month on a one year lease. Landlord then offers 3 free months to sweeten it, but the way you're paying the landlord is actually amortizing those 3 "free" months over the course of 15 months, so for 15 months you're paying $2,400 a month.

These were often given on top of already substantial drops in rent prices. Now prices are generally up from their nadir, and so people are talking about large percentage increases. However, one thing to keep in mind is that these percentage increases are large because the *base* was already greatly reduced and you can have large percentage increases and still have it below the 2019 prices. However, someone might see the large percentage increases and scoff that "It's a planted story" because he sees the big numbers, but due to what's essentially illiteracy with numbers, don't understand that these big percentage numbers don't necessarily mean a return to 2019 prices.

Let's take an outrageous example of this. Let's say a place was going for $3,000 a month pre-covid. Let's say things got really bad and the effective price cut of about half (50%). That's now at $1,500. Now let's say after that sweetheart deal is over and you have a bump of 50% up. That sounds really intimidating and similar to the 50% cut we saw earlier, but in reverse. However, a 50% increase on this lowered base brings it up to $2,250 which is still 25% below that $3,000 a month original price.
There were very few, if any, outright price drops. Almost all of the incentives focused on "X free months" and "no fee".

Secondly, prices weren't cut in half (apart from maybe some luxury apartments at the very top end). Most were on the order or 10-30%.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:04 PM

2,335 posts, read 1,045,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
There were very few, if any, outright price drops. Almost all of the incentives focused on "X free months" and "no fee".

Secondly, prices weren't cut in half (apart from maybe some luxury apartments at the very top end). Most were on the order or 10-30%.
Yea, that's right. I work in banking. The covenants of the loan provisions mean that many landlords (corporate ones at least) aren't allowed to go below a certain monthly rent or it will trigger an acceleration of the principal plus interest due.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:14 PM

107,045 posts, read 109,362,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
As far as I know, you can still offer a free month's rent on a rent-stabilized apartment without implications, but you can't actually drop the rent. Preferential rent becomes the new legal rent.

But, yeah, unsurprising to see a bounce back up. One of the reasons I wasn't super-tempted to leave my RS place for the free market. I knew the decline was only temporary and I'd get hit with a big increase in one or two years. Good for kids first coming to the city, not great for older people who don't want to be moving constantly.
Yes you can offer free rent with no problems

Old 09-16-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Yea, that's right. I work in banking. The covenants of the loan provisions mean that many landlords (corporate ones at least) aren't allowed to go below a certain monthly rent or it will trigger an acceleration of the principal plus interest due.
Facts are whatever people think they are.

If someone asked me how to build a rocket, I'd tell them I don't know. The other poster would go Google it, come back 15 minutes later, and tell them "here's how to build a rocket".

Old 09-16-2021, 01:31 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,639,211 times
Quote:

There most certainly were price drops. However, many can't drop the official price that much for various reasons such as the loans on which they purchased that property which means they can only drop the price to a certain extent, before they are no longer officially dropping the price but that's not the same as no official price drops. This is where the free months and no fees leading to greater effective price drops in addition to the official price drop.

And yea, there were a lot of luxury apartments with large price drops. As mentioned before, there were people moving into substantial upgrades from before.

The article and reddit notice notes price bumps--it does not say that most people are seeing a 50-70% increase in rent, only that such did happen. Most were likely lower percentages than that as well. You can also look at the little infographic in the article--does that look to you like NYC rents or just Manhattan rents returned to the pre-pandemic peak? Did you see somewhere in the article that claimed as much? That should have been pretty clear, but people struggle with more than just numerical illiteracy, but all kinds of it.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-16-2021 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-16-2021, 01:35 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,639,211 times
Quote:
Facts are whatever people think they are.

If someone asked me how to build a rocket, I'd tell them I don't know. The other poster would go Google it, come back 15 minutes later, and tell them "here's how to build a rocket".

I literally have been on teams that built rockets and sent them to low-earth orbit, so yea, I do know some things about them. I'm also not numerically illiterate or prone to making one failed account after another. People differ from each other, y'know?

Old 09-16-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yes you can offer free rent with no problems
The banks essentially protect their other customer and themselves from a race to the bottom (which happens quite often in a free market during downturns).

Old 09-16-2021, 01:48 PM

107,045 posts, read 109,362,256 times
As a landlord for decades I never had a bank ever dictate a minimum rent level

Old 09-16-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There most certainly were price drops. However, many can't drop the official price that much for various reasons such as the loans on which they purchased that property which means they can only drop the price to a certain extent, before they are no longer officially dropping the price but that's not the same as no official price drops. This is where the free months and no fees leading to greater effective price drops in addition to the official price drop.

And yea, there were a lot of luxury apartments with large price drops. As mentioned before, there were people moving into substantial upgrades from before.

The article and reddit notice notes price bumps--it does not say that most people are seeing a 50-70% increase in rent, only that such did happen. Most were likely lower percentages than that as well. You can also look at the little infographic in the article--does that look to you like NYC rents or just Manhattan rents returned to the pre-pandemic peak? Did you see somewhere in the article that claimed as much? That should have been pretty clear, but people struggle with more than just numerical illiteracy, but all kinds of it.
Direct quote from your last post:
Quote:
on top of already substantial drops in rent prices.
This post:

Quote:
However, many can't drop the official price that much for various reasons
Seems contradictory ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City