Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 01:51 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
As a landlord for decades I never had a bank ever dictate a minimum rent level
I'd wager that you also weren't taking out 10's-100's of millions in loans. I didn't express myself correctly in the last post. The banks can't really dictate pricing per see. That's illegal.

What they can dictate is your interest rate/penalties based in certain metrics. LLs are free to take the hit but as as always there are loopholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 01:55 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,731,547 times
When the landlord borrows to buy the property, the lender will include "covenants" in the loan. There are many, covering lots of things (e.g., the landlord promises that the LLC making the purchase is properly constituted), but often these days there is a covenant not to drop the official rent roll below a certain amount. This is because the property value is usually highly dependent on the value of the rent roll. The lender doesn't want the value of the property to drop because it's the collateral securing the loan. If the landlord violates the covenant, it can go into default on the loan.

Concessions like a free month's rent generally don't count. This is why you can exaggerate the "rent drop" and "rent bounce" if you compare the concessions-adjusted rent at one point and the nominal rent at another.

This is also why people telling you that the rent reflects the free market aren't really being accurate, unless you think the "free market" should include the lender imposing rent floors on the landlord as an invisible force the tenant can do nothing about.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:04 PM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Direct quote from your last post:

This post:

Seems contradictory ?

Seems not? Substantial versus there were many that can't drop it by the aforementioned half officially? How is that contradictory? Is it in question format because you literally don't know? Doesn't change that you couldn't read or understand the article and that there was no claim that prices in NYC have generally gone back to pre-covid levels? Doesn't change that even if the official cut isn't as large as effective rent cut from free months it's still different from saying there were very few, if any (LOL!), official cuts during the pandemic which is just an amazing thing to say? You probably will never work on an actual rocket to low-earth orbit and it really is beyond your ability but at least you're a certified Trader Joe's expert from five years of shopping there and are obviously an expert on the rental market because you had paid years of rent? You'll make another account and cheer yourself up a bit?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-16-2021 at 03:21 PM..

Old 09-16-2021, 02:04 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,643 times
Does this mean that many NYC buildings will be getting a better class of tenant? What happens if the Supreme Court eventually throws out all Rent Stabilization and related laws as unconstitutional?

I'm a NYC homeowner but the rental market does indirectly effect the home market.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:17 PM

"What happens if the Supreme Court eventually throws out all Rent Stabilization and related laws as unconstitutional?"

I can tell you what happened in Boston and Cambridge, which abolished rent control in 1995--the rents shot up and life there got that much more miserable.

Old 09-16-2021, 03:32 PM

106,665 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Well there is more to that story .

Building permits and renovation permits sky rocketed when stabilization ended ..

Old apartments were gutted out and made new again ….many of the old dingy apartments you wouldn’t want to live in yourself were revitalized and NEW COST MONEY .

So yeah , rent went up, so it was no longer comparing what was to what is

Old 09-16-2021, 03:36 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,643 times
Looks like Queens rental market is selectively roaring back -

Quote:
Queens has seen its highest-priced tier of rentals — or homes priced more than $2,500 per month — recover 99% of its pre-pandemic highs, according to just-released data from real-estate portal StreetEasy. That makes this borough’s high-end rental market the first in New York City to reach recovery in the wake of COVID.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/16/nycs-h...huge-recovery/

Quote:
Overall, when compared to Manhattan and Brooklyn, Queens still remains relatively more affordable. Queens’ median rent was $2,200 in July — whereas for Manhattan it was $3,000 and, for Brooklyn, $2,600. The report does not mention The Bronx or Staten Island.

I can understand not covering Staten Island with it's small rental market. But how can StreetEasy not cover the Bronx with it's huge numbers of large apartment buildings?

Old 09-16-2021, 03:52 PM

"Old apartments were gutted out and made new again ….many of the old dingy apartments you wouldn’t want to live in yourself were revitalized and NEW COST MONEY ."

Yeah, I'm quite sure that the rent only reflected cost of renovations. Landlords are notorious for being restrained like that. BTW, I've got an NFT I want to sell you.

Old 09-16-2021, 04:28 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Does this mean that many NYC buildings will be getting a better class of tenant? What happens if the Supreme Court eventually throws out all Rent Stabilization and related laws as unconstitutional?

I'm a NYC homeowner but the rental market does indirectly effect the home market.
Not going to happen bruh...

https://therealdeal.com/2021/09/16/t...=feature_posts

Old 09-16-2021, 04:37 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Oh well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you.

Anyone who believed those fairy stories about how cities (including New York) were dead as people fled because of covid are getting their faces cracked.

https://therealdeal.com/2021/09/15/n...high-renewals/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City