Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 02:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
”That's why the media reported yesterday that they had FIVE overdoses at one of the new ”supervised” injection sites.”

Reading comprehension, son. I said they help prevent death. Did any of those people die? No? Exactly.

There are literally dozens of overdoses at the Vancouver site daily, but very few deaths, because rapid intervention can prevent most narcotics overdose deaths.

But of course, some people aren't even embarrassed to say that they want these people--children, parents, siblings, loved ones--to die. As usual, I'm amazed at how much ugly people are willing to show in public. I guess if you've been brutalized yourself, you forget how to care for other people, or even that other people have the capacity to give a damn about the ”vermin” of the world. Very sad. But even given that--you should understand that these sites save taxpayer money.
There are on average, just under 4 overdoses a day at INSITE now called a SCS ( Safe Consumption Site )
per the 2019 Stats.

Insite user statistics

Most of those who die do so alone as not everyone goes to a SCS.

SCS's do save lives, and also offers medical care to those who may not have been in contact with medical professionals since they are high most of the time.

It's a complex problem and even though SCS are a good thing IMO, it's not the answer, since the drug problem hasn't gone away.

This rather dry report below, has some scary numbers.

http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery...r%20Report.pdf

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 12-01-2021 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: only mods are supposed to use red
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 03:00 PM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
The injection centers belong on the grounds of hospitals, not on retail strips of struggling neighborhoods. Surrounding local businesses will be hurt by the junkies hanging around.
The injection sites belong in the neighborhoods of people who support and vote for that stuff. I find the location entirely appropriate. They should put a few more in Astoria, Parkchester, Morris Park, Jackson heights, and Elmhurst.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:06 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The injection sites belong in the neighborhoods of people who support and vote for that stuff. I find the location entirely appropriate. They should put a few more in Astoria, Parkchester, Morris Park, Jackson heights, and Elmhurst.
Why Morris Park, which still has plenty of conservative folks?

Old 12-01-2021, 10:17 PM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Why Morris Park, which still has plenty of conservative folks?
Because the purpose of people with these ideas is to make normal people feel uncomfortable and like they don't belong here, in the hope they will comply or move out.

Why should a nice and clean neighborhood stay nice and stable when you can ruin it with this type of place? Equity my brothers and sisters, equity !! What? you're against it ! Racist ! Fascist !

Old 12-01-2021, 10:19 PM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
They started implementing this great innovation in Paris, France 15 years ago.....and..... good luck to us New Yorkers... Good luck !

Old 12-02-2021, 10:44 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There are on average, just under 4 overdoses a day at INSITE now called a SCS ( Safe Consumption Site )
per the 2019 Stats.

Insite user statistics

Most of those who die do so alone as not everyone goes to a SCS.

SCS's do save lives, and also offers medical care to those who may not have been in contact with medical professionals since they are high most of the time.

It's a complex problem and even though SCS are a good thing IMO, it's not the answer, since the drug problem hasn't gone away.

This rather dry report below, has some scary numbers.

http://www.bccdc.ca/resource-gallery...r%20Report.pdf
Is a junkie's life worth saving? I ask the hard questions that most people shy away from.

There are limited financial resources available. So, why decide to allocate money, time and energy to the dregs of society who WILLINGLY choose to live that way and engage in substance abuse to destroy their own and family/friends' lives? Why not use that money to fund daycare centers, GED classes, vocational training, etc.?

Before I get the holier than thou attitude from some posters who call me a heartless monster, consider the following: how many of you who decry this attitude have donated to a bum they see shaking a change cup on the street? How many of you go volunteer at a homeless shelter more than 1x or 2x a year because of a court ordered remediation or to feel good on the holidays? How many of you are a big Brother/Sister to neighborhood kids deprived of a RESPONSIBLE adult figure?

The solution is tough love: since junkies are incapable of making their own decisions - literally, b/c their brains are consumed by drugs especially the dopamine/seratonin centers which control pleasure and self control impulses - then the only solution is to round up the junkies and put them in a re-education camp in the wilderness where they can slowly wean themselves off the drugs. Then build a responsible career and lives for themselves. In between this time, they can work off their debts to society by engaging in hard, physical labor and go cold turkey on drugs.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:51 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Is a junkie's life worth saving? I ask the hard questions that most people shy away from.

There are limited financial resources available. So, why decide to allocate money, time and energy to the dregs of society who WILLINGLY choose to live that way and engage in substance abuse to destroy their own and family/friends' lives? Why not use that money to fund daycare centers, GED classes, vocational training, etc.?

Before I get the holier than thou attitude from some posters who call me a heartless monster, consider the following: how many of you who decry this attitude have donated to a bum they see shaking a change cup on the street? How many of you go volunteer at a homeless shelter more than 1x or 2x a year because of a court ordered remediation or to feel good on the holidays? How many of you are a big Brother/Sister to neighborhood kids deprived of a RESPONSIBLE adult figure?

The solution is tough love: since junkies are incapable of making their own decisions - literally, b/c their brains are consumed by drugs especially the dopamine/seratonin centers which control pleasure and self control impulses - then the only solution is to round up the junkies and put them in a re-education camp in the wilderness where they can slowly wean themselves off the drugs. Then build a responsible career and lives for themselves. In between this time, they can work off their debts to society by engaging in hard, physical labor and go cold turkey on drugs.
Do your research.
Gettin off Heroin is not impossible but very difficult. Its a life long struggle to stay clean. With the right family support its possible and event then its very hard. Im not even discussing becoming productive and working and making money after getting clean.
So pretty much zero hope for most of the people in these clinics. Dead people walking.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Do your research.
Gettin off Heroin is not impossible but very difficult. Its a life long struggle to stay clean. With the right family support its possible and event then its very hard. Im not even discussing becoming productive and working and making money after getting clean.
So pretty much zero hope for most of the people in these clinics. Dead people walking.
Read the second part of my post where I support the creation of an isolated environment to wean them off drugs. Creating shooting galleries is not the solution. Instead, you are just enabling their behavior and causing all the negative side effects to the neighborhood like increased crime, vandalism, etc.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:34 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Read the second part of my post where I support the creation of an isolated environment to wean them off drugs. Creating shooting galleries is not the solution. Instead, you are just enabling their behavior and causing all the negative side effects to the neighborhood like increased crime, vandalism, etc.
Agreed. I was just chiming in on the first part.

Old 12-02-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Agreed. I was just chiming in on the first part.
Thanks. I support these rehab camps where addicts can get fresh air and engage in wholesome activities like running track, swimming, etc. Almost like a boot camp but tailored for all ages and physical conditions. They would be fed real meals and have access to bathrooms, showers, and REQUIRED to maintain a clean appearance. That means de-licing them, shaving their heads, and having ex drill sargeants make them go through exercises. They need discipline because it was sorely lacking in their lives - after all, the kind of person injecting drugs on a street corner and harassing children for money has already demonstrated a severe lack of willpower and self control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City