Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 08:04 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,611,902 times

Advertisements

I think you have a similar thread in the Los Angeles forum - big difference between LA and Brooklyn. Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 08:22 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,407,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaT23 View Post
I will look at the areas that you've mentioned in Brooklyn.

My SO is already in NY and part of the reason for my move is because he has 2-3 years before he'd like to retire from the NYPD. He would live in the home as well but because of my preferences and needs, he'd be willing to follow my lead on where to live.

Just as you mentioned, I'd want my children to be able to have a place to stay/visit if they choose. Their father, though from NYC as well, would still be in the DC area for the time being.

If you spend more than 183 days per year in NYC, or even if you spend somewhat less than 183 days but you keep things that are "near & dear" to you at your NYC residence, you will be considered a NYC resident for tax purposes (ie, you will be subject to NY State and NYC taxes as a full-year NYC resident).

Old 01-03-2022, 09:18 PM

147 posts, read 60,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaT23 View Post
Hello all,

I am considering relocating to NYC from the DMV area. I am in my early 40s with 2 children entering their college phase of life. I realize that NYC is extremely expensive but I travel back and forth between DC and NY and would love to move to an area that is diverse and walkable. To find a place with some closet space and a decent sized kitchen are huge bonuses. What advice would you have or suggest, as far as places to look for housing? I love the Lincoln Square / Upper WS area, I'd consider Harlem and I'm open to areas in Brooklyn, though Manhattan is preferred.

I'm a Federal Gov. employee and I'd be working remotely. Having said all of that, what I've mentioned are desires and I know some sacrifices will need to be made, just be cause of the expense of living in NY but I'm open to suggestions on where and how to start.
You're a federal government employee working remotely from the DC metro and you want to actually relocate to NYC? Are you aware that you will pay higher taxes and that your overall quality of life will diminish?

Old 01-03-2022, 09:41 PM

30,656 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
You're a federal government employee working remotely from the DC metro and you want to actually relocate to NYC? Are you aware that you will pay higher taxes and that your overall quality of life will diminish?
That's subjective. In any event, while OP may pay higher taxes, OP and SO earn enough to live comfortably in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: