Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 02:53 PM

42 posts, read 47,064 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am considering relocating to NYC from the DMV area. I am in my early 40s with 2 children entering their college phase of life. I realize that NYC is extremely expensive but I travel back and forth between DC and NY and would love to move to an area that is diverse and walkable. To find a place with some closet space and a decent sized kitchen are huge bonuses. What advice would you have or suggest, as far as places to look for housing? I love the Lincoln Square / Upper WS area, I'd consider Harlem and I'm open to areas in Brooklyn, though Manhattan is preferred.

I'm a Federal Gov. employee and I'd be working remotely. Having said all of that, what I've mentioned are desires and I know some sacrifices will need to be made, just be cause of the expense of living in NY but I'm open to suggestions on where and how to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 06:53 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
DMV = Department of Motor Vehicles?

What is YOUR DMV mean?

Old 01-02-2022, 07:06 PM

While it may be a regional nickname, the DMV = DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Here, we call YOUR "DMV" the Motor Vehicle Administration

Old 01-02-2022, 07:36 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
What's your budget and/or paygrade? Are you the only person in the household who will be working? Also, if there is a chance that you'd be going back into the office physically, I'd think hard about deciding whether to move to NYC, unless you can also physically work from an NYC location.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What's your budget and/or paygrade? Are you the only person in the household who will be working? Also, if there is a chance that you'd be going back into the office physically, I'd think hard about deciding whether to move to NYC, unless you can also physically work from an NYC location.
I wouldn't be the only employed person in my household; combined income 230k. I travel back and forth for personal reasons, not for work (I should've been clear about that). Even before COVID, I was working remotely most of the time. To transfer to a NY office wouldn't be a major problem and my locality pay would increase slightly.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:03 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaT23 View Post
I wouldn't be the only employed person in my household; combined income 230k. I travel back and forth for personal reasons, not for work (I should've been clear about that). Even before COVID, I was working remotely most of the time. To transfer to a NY office wouldn't be a major problem and my locality pay would increase slightly.
Gotcha. I'm a little confused, though. Understanding that you're not the only employed person in the household and that combined income is $230k, are you the only person who would be living in the NYC unit? Would the rest of your family be staying in the DMV?

If the former, you'd obviously have more options; I don't know if you'd be primarily traveling back and forth as a little escape or if everyone is coming with you. If the latter, your options would go down quite a bit.

Assuming that at least your SO is coming with you, and understanding that your children are entering the college phase of their lives, I'd imagine it would primarily be you and your SO in the house, which would limit the number of bedrooms you'd need. Assuming that your kids will be away at college, I'd imagine that you'd still want a place for them to stay when they are home on break from school. So, a 2-3 bedroom place would probably be what you're looking for.

Using the 40x rule that many NYC LLs use where your gross income has to be at least 40x your monthly rent for them to consider renting to you, your monthly rent budget would max out at around $5,750.

I'd play with the apartments.com filters and see what's available in different neighborhoods where you're looking. Based on a quick search, there are definitely 2-3 bedroom units in the vicinity of Lincoln Square/UWS that fit within your budget. If you expand the area grid/location, you have more options. https://www.apartments.com/upper-wes...ms-under-5400/

From the looks of things, you definitely don't need to spend at the top of your budget to make things work, though you'd have to decide which units at specific price points would work for you and your family. More money you can on rent, the more money you have to enjoy all that NYC has to offer.

I'm partial to Brooklyn as far as places to live, so would encourage you to also look at Prospect Heights, Park Slope, Prospect Park West, and neighborhoods in that general area if you'd like. But you seem to have a lot of options.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Gotcha. I'm a little confused, though. Understanding that you're not the only employed person in the household and that combined income is $230k, are you the only person who would be living in the NYC unit? Would the rest of your family be staying in the DMV?

If the former, you'd obviously have more options; I don't know if you'd be primarily traveling back and forth as a little escape or if everyone is coming with you. If the latter, your options would go down quite a bit.

Assuming that at least your SO is coming with you, and understanding that your children are entering the college phase of their lives, I'd imagine it would primarily be you and your SO in the house, which would limit the number of bedrooms you'd need. Assuming that your kids will be away at college, I'd imagine that you'd still want a place for them to stay when they are home on break from school. So, a 2-3 bedroom place would probably be what you're looking for.

Using the 40x rule that many NYC LLs use where your gross income has to be at least 40x your monthly rent for them to consider renting to you, your monthly rent budget would max out at around $5,750.

I'd play with the apartments.com filters and see what's available in different neighborhoods where you're looking. Based on a quick search, there are definitely 2-3 bedroom units in the vicinity of Lincoln Square/UWS that fit within your budget. If you expand the area grid/location, you have more options. https://www.apartments.com/upper-wes...ms-under-5400/

From the looks of things, you definitely don't need to spend at the top of your budget to make things work, though you'd have to decide which units at specific price points would work for you and your family. More money you can on rent, the more money you have to enjoy all that NYC has to offer.

I'm partial to Brooklyn as far as places to live, so would encourage you to also look at Prospect Heights, Park Slope, Prospect Park West, and neighborhoods in that general area if you'd like. But you seem to have a lot of options.
I will look at the areas that you've mentioned in Brooklyn.

My SO is already in NY and part of the reason for my move is because he has 2-3 years before he'd like to retire from the NYPD. He would live in the home as well but because of my preferences and needs, he'd be willing to follow my lead on where to live.

Just as you mentioned, I'd want my children to be able to have a place to stay/visit if they choose. Their father, though from NYC as well, would still be in the DC area for the time being.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:33 PM

295 posts, read 281,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaT23 View Post
To find a place with some closet space and a decent sized kitchen are huge bonuses.
Hopefully you'll be able to take your time and find a suitable place. The building I'm in was built in 1951. Some elements of it are dated but my little apartment (a studio plus?) has an eat-in kitchen, two coat closets by the door and a dressing alcove with a walk-in closet. The walls are thick so I don't hear my neighbors. It's a pretty bland building but great to live in by NYC apartment standards. Also it's on a cul-de-sac so there's very little traffic. I used to live on the 17th floor of a building facing 2nd avenue and things could get loud, especially trucks barreling through at 3 in the morning and hitting that pothole.

I'm bringing up the building because I hear a lot of 'they don't make them like they used to' type complaints from people who live or lived in newer buildings with thin walls and a lot of noise bleeding through, not to mention barely functional kitchens. I don't know if it's as simple as older construction = good/newer construction = bad but you don't want to live in a building with all the modern bells and whistles and then you can hear your neighbor hacking up phlegm every morning.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:04 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
There are number of neighborhoods you can call home.

Segregated or Diversified. Yes they exist, both sides of the fence.

Choose one of many neighborhoods that makes you feel at home.

Your High Income puts you in a good place to pick and choose.

Check out local places of worship and shopping to gauge your comfort level.
This is very important. You want to feel included not excluded.

Check the cars in the driveways ,streets and Parking lots.
Lotus, Aston,Mercedes vs. Nissan,Hyundai, Kia.
Speaks volume.

Great place to start.
Websites like areavibes to get a feel on the quality of life, SpotCrime on current Crime History,
Google Maps on transportation ( I would avoid MTA subways) L.I.R.R. and Express Bus Services are O.K.

Best Wishes....

Old 01-03-2022, 08:01 AM

1,056 posts, read 541,921 times
Streeteasy is a good website to look at housing.

In terms of Brooklyn neighborhoods, I suggest looking at Brooklyn Heights, Prospect Heights, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens and Park Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: