Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 10:23 AM

1,057 posts, read 547,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
I'd go with Dyker Heights assuming you have no need for public transportation. It's quiet and it's safe. Only negative is if you don't like being surrounded by a bunch of old conservative folks lmao.
Is that the same Dyker Heights where the Chinese are buying every available house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 12:15 PM

204 posts, read 97,689 times
Yes, but it's still more Italians than it is Chinese. Probably won't be the case in 10 or 20 more years, but a neighborhood being shopped by the Chinese isn't necessarily a bad thing as it'll increase property values and better the schools in the neighborhood at the cost of maybe the aesthetics of the neighborhood.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:19 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times

If you watch the TV show Blue Bloods, the Regan family home is in Bay Ridge. Although it's the best, be prepared to spend more than a million dollars. Zillow has the stately Regan home, 8070 Harbor View Terrace in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, valued at $2.6 million.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/8070-Ha...30697226_zpid/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemicjoe_ View Post
Anywhere in Bay Ridge south of Bay Ridge Ave & West of 3rd avenue. The area is relatively safe & clean. Some of the homes are very big & beautiful. Some sit on small lots but have a distinctive suburban feel to it. Bay Ridge is also extremely diverse & very urban East of 3rd Ave plus you get the R train on 4th Ave if you need transportation. There are also express buses available on shore road & not to mention along the shore you get nice views of the lower Manhattan skyline, downtown BK skyline & jersey city skyline as well as Staten Island.

Last edited by bobspez; 01-12-2022 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-12-2022, 01:30 PM

1,057 posts, read 547,250 times
Quote:
Yes, but it's still more Italians than it is Chinese. Probably won't be the case in 10 or 20 more years, but a neighborhood being shopped by the Chinese isn't necessarily a bad thing as it'll increase property values and better the schools in the neighborhood at the cost of maybe the aesthetics of the neighborhood.
It's not a maybe on that. Illegal conversions and adding ten floors onto a two floor house, and right in the middle of the block too. Numerous monstrosities have been created in Sunset Park.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:17 PM

204 posts, read 97,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
It's not a maybe on that. Illegal conversions and adding ten floors onto a two floor house, and right in the middle of the block too. Numerous monstrosities have been created in Sunset Park.
Well the thing is you can’t build up in dyker heights like you can in sunset park they have different zoning. What i meant by aesthetics is more like those unpleasant metal doors and metal bars that they like to put on their windows.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:51 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,243 times
Quote:
Well the thing is you can’t build up in dyker heights like you can in sunset park they have different zoning. What i meant by aesthetics is more like those unpleasant metal doors and metal bars that they like to put on their windows.
Yeah, I just find the architecture they put up is incredibly distasteful and to be blunt, ugly. I don't know if that's also the case in China but to me it is simply an eyesore.

I'd vote for Mill Basin or Bergen Beach.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:52 PM

149 posts, read 99,888 times
I like Mill Basin, but also would like the option of public transportation

Old 01-12-2022, 07:55 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyaxe View Post
I like Mill Basin, but also would like the option of public transportation
There are several buses that take you to the 2/5 and express buses into Manhattan. Unless you firmly want to be by the subway, but that does come with downsides.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:02 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Chinese are busting every good old school area they can. Bayridge, Bensonhurst, Grasmere (and other areas of SI).... Everything will soon look like Flushing, Queens. No one saw that coming but it is amazing how Flushing tipped then flipped so quickly.

Old 01-13-2022, 12:27 AM

786 posts, read 485,117 times
South Brooklyn is your best bet, as most have been saying. I personally like Marine Park. And yea, expect to be surrounded by old school native NYers who are on the conservative side. They are the safest hoods in the city. Facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: