Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 08:26 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Metrocard is not free. It's $1.00 if you buy a new one and it only lasts for about two years. OMNY card is $5 but will last for years, so it's almost the same thing.
The kiosk machine gives you a new metrocard if yours is expired for free, so technically the metrocard has no expiration date. But the main reason is metrocard has a monthly option, and a better version of weekly option where you can start it on any day of the week (OMNY starts every Monday, even if you didn't use it on Monday).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 01:38 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The kiosk machine gives you a new metrocard if yours is expired for free, so technically the metrocard has no expiration date. But the main reason is metrocard has a monthly option, and a better version of weekly option where you can start it on any day of the week (OMNY starts every Monday, even if you didn't use it on Monday).
Yeah, only if it is expired, but if it isn't and you want a new one, it's $1.00 each time. You're complaining about the new payment system that is not even fully operational yet. Pointless... Get back to me when it's fully rolled out. Right now I don't believe there is a pass option, because it's still new.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 856,433 times
I attempted OMNY with my registered AMEX card with my account a couple days ago and it actually worked well. I also tried using my contactless Chase card, but that one still failed.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:40 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I attempted OMNY with my registered AMEX card with my account a couple days ago and it actually worked well. I also tried using my contactless Chase card, but that one still failed.
I experienced the same. It's fussy about reading my Citibank card but has no problem recognizing my Fidelity card. And it can't be because of a damaged magnetic strip because I have two Citibank cards and OMNY has trouble reading both of them. It doesn't light up "go", doesn't let out a beep and the turnstile doesn't turn. But...! It charges me.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:06 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
hmmmmm. I think I'll hang onto my reduced fare Metrocard for a while....

https://mailchi.mp/82cda501eed2/get-...6?e=6f8b337728

Old 03-29-2022, 10:54 AM

1,138 posts, read 856,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I experienced the same. It's fussy about reading my Citibank card but has no problem recognizing my Fidelity card. And it can't be because of a damaged magnetic strip because I have two Citibank cards and OMNY has trouble reading both of them. It doesn't light up "go", doesn't let out a beep and the turnstile doesn't turn. But...! It charges me.
Just an update. It turned out my Contactless feature of my Chase card was damaged and ever since I received a new card and registered with OMMY, it works fine. Apparently opening an OMNY account on their website and registering your card(s) with them seems to really help. Regardless, I still believe the system has issues with BOA and Citicards.

It seems Chase and AMEX work best with OMNY from my recent experiences.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:42 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
I have to say, when you have your hands full, as one often does on transit, it is VERY convenient to be able to wave your wrist towards the reader and keep going.

They need to sort out the unlimited fares issue, though.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:49 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
MTA touts first month of fare capping as success with more than 168,000 riders earning weekly pass

https://gothamist.com/news/mta-touts...ng-weekly-pass

Old 04-05-2022, 10:59 AM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
If people are worried about using a Credit Card to pay for transit because of fears of "hacking" or whatever, then they should be equally as worried about using a CC to shop at a store or online (which is to say - don't worry, your chances of that happening are low)

And even *if* something happens, if you're using a credit card, you have no reason to worry because you should always be checking your account for suspicious activity anyway, and with credit cards, you are never held liable for fraudulent purchases as long as you contact your issuer ASAP.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:04 PM

576 posts, read 568,223 times
So what are the tourists supposed to do? Many people are not comfortable turning on Digital Wallets or whipping out credit cards in NYC. Or is this a way to get rid of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City