Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 07:37 AM

914 posts, read 1,138,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I'm with you, kiddo. CHANGE only for the sake of change is stupid, indeed. What are the advantages except for aggravation?
The advantages are massive cost savings for the MTA. The metro card is an obsolete technology. The MTA’s contract with the vendor that services the metro card expired, to maintain the system, the MTA now has to pay out of the wazoo to get replacement parts and service as no private vendor keeps the technology due to it being from the 80s and the rest of the world has moved on.

I’m sorry new technology is frustrating and hard for older folks like you to adapt to, but unfortunately the world doesn’t stop progressing and the MTA needs to keep up with the times if wants to manage costs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 09:10 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,582,950 times
I have an auto fill reduced fare metro card and an OMNY account. Just signed up for a reduced fare OMNY account (email from MTA) when/if it’s rolled out this summer but also put a plug in for the OMNY card. Nothing to do with technology, personal preference.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:00 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,697,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
MTA's reduced-fare customers will get to use OMNY this summer

https://gothamist.com/news/mtas-redu...ny-this-summer
I wonder how they will be able prevent abuse of this system.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:35 PM

6,224 posts, read 3,646,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
There's zero reason to keep it. It should have been dumped over a decade ago, but you know, technology and progress is scaaarrryyyyyy....

It's the third decade of the 21st century. It's time we started acting like it.
I'm not saying this is the case here but not everything needs to change just because it can be changed
The only thing I don't like about Metrocards is that they create a lot of litter

Old 04-23-2022, 02:45 PM

12,793 posts, read 8,398,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm not saying this is the case here but not everything needs to change just because it can be changed. The only thing I don't like about Metrocards is that they create a lot of litter
The Metrocard is using technology from the 90s! We are in 2022... Hello?!? From a security and usability perspective, it needs to go. People think it's reliable. It is not and the technology is quite limited. You mentioned litter. Metrocards create a lot of litter, which OMNY will significantly reduce. Being able to pay with a number of different cards or your phone is also a huge improvement, as you will not have to go to a subway station to refill a Metrocard.

The technology is also contactless, which means you don't have to touch anything and you can pay easier if your hands are full. You can keep track of any transaction you make online and know what your balance is as well by checking your OMNY account via the OMNY website. Just about none of this can be done with a Metrocard, and as the years go by, that technology will only continue to become less reliable.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:06 AM

25,439 posts, read 37,286,340 times
^^^^^^^

oy!

Old 04-30-2022, 07:40 AM

621 posts, read 245,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The Metrocard is using technology from the 90s! We are in 2022... Hello?!? From a security and usability perspective, it needs to go. People think it's reliable. It is not and the technology is quite limited. You mentioned litter. Metrocards create a lot of litter, which OMNY will significantly reduce. Being able to pay with a number of different cards or your phone is also a huge improvement, as you will not have to go to a subway station to refill a Metrocard.

The technology is also contactless, which means you don't have to touch anything and you can pay easier if your hands are full. You can keep track of any transaction you make online and know what your balance is as well by checking your OMNY account via the OMNY website. Just about none of this can be done with a Metrocard, and as the years go by, that technology will only continue to become less reliable.

From a security perspective, Metrocard beats OMNY hands down because there's no linkage between you and the card. In fact, the company that puts out Omny, has already been hacked multiple times with PII (personal identifiable information) taken from their servers - once in the Bay Area as far as I can remember. That's why I would prefer an Omny card if only that I can use one without creating an account. Is that even possible?

As for UI, I do like the contactless interaction. At the end of the day though, I just want to pay my fare and enter the system.

I'll end with a tweak of an old saying - "New technology don't mean it's good technology"

Old 04-30-2022, 03:20 PM

12,793 posts, read 8,398,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
From a security perspective, Metrocard beats OMNY hands down because there's no linkage between you and the card. In fact, the company that puts out Omny, has already been hacked multiple times with PII (personal identifiable information) taken from their servers - once in the Bay Area as far as I can remember. That's why I would prefer an Omny card if only that I can use one without creating an account. Is that even possible?

As for UI, I do like the contactless interaction. At the end of the day though, I just want to pay my fare and enter the system.

I'll end with a tweak of an old saying - "New technology don't mean it's good technology"
The Metrocard is also linked to you unless of course you use cash. It still has your travel history and the whatever debit or credit card you use to pay for the transaction, so there's not much of a difference. You only get around it if you use cash. You don't have to create an account to use an OMNY card (as far as I know). I believe you can reload the OMNY card with cash, but you have to go to a store for now to do so. Defeats the purpose of the convenience of reloading it online.

Old 05-01-2022, 08:40 AM

621 posts, read 245,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The Metrocard is also linked to you unless of course you use cash. It still has your travel history and the whatever debit or credit card you use to pay for the transaction, so there's not much of a difference. You only get around it if you use cash. You don't have to create an account to use an OMNY card (as far as I know). I believe you can reload the OMNY card with cash, but you have to go to a store for now to do so. Defeats the purpose of the convenience of reloading it online.

Please educate me here - how is the Metrocard linked to you if you use a debit/credit card? I suppose one could link the serial # of the card to your debit/credit. But in order to do that, 1) the turnstiles would have to capture serial information each time you swipe and 2) the vending machines would have to associate your serial # each time you re-up the card by scraping your personal metadata. I don't think the underlying tech of the system is that sophisticated.

Also, where do you even get an OMNY card? None of the token booth clerks seem to know. I was even told to go to Times Square...I go there, and even they don't know.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:21 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,697,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Please educate me here - how is the Metrocard linked to you if you use a debit/credit card? I suppose one could link the serial # of the card to your debit/credit. But in order to do that, 1) the turnstiles would have to capture serial information each time you swipe and 2) the vending machines would have to associate your serial # each time you re-up the card by scraping your personal metadata. I don't think the underlying tech of the system is that sophisticated.

Also, where do you even get an OMNY card? None of the token booth clerks seem to know. I was even told to go to Times Square...I go there, and even they don't know.
https://omny.info/retail-locations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City