Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 05:10 PM

793 posts, read 495,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolgre View Post
I am thinking of making a bus trip from NYC to either Ithaca or Auburn, NY (I don't drive) but am very concerned about the safety of Port Authority. I am an older female looking for a place to retire Upstate and both Ithaca and Auburn looks very appealing but I would need to take a bus to take to either place and that thought of PA terrifies me.
Like anything else regarding safety, just stay away from anyone that appears they may have voted for liberals and Biden.

It's kept me safe all these years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 05:35 PM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Are you regularly traveling in and out of Port Authority? There are cops upstairs by the shops in the morning, none at any hour down by the gates where the buses leave. They aren't even trying to clear the bums and lunatics out anymore. Yes, still take your bus. But yes, absolutely be concerned for your safety at all times.
Ha, no, I actually used to work there many years ago, back when the neighborhood was worse, but the PABT never really got "good" at any point. I can tell you some crazy stories. I am not uncomfortable there. I haven't been there since before COVID, at any rate, and then only occasionally. I was always alert, though.

I agree that a person should be aware of their surroundings and concerned for their safety at all times. I would not go down to a gate too long before my bus was scheduled. I thought all that goes without saying. Common sense, but no need to be terrified to travel.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:00 AM

518 posts, read 629,021 times
I liked that quote: "Like anything else regarding safety, just stay away from anyone that appears they may have voted for liberals and Biden." That's a whole lot of people to stay away from here in NYC.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:04 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,163,193 times
One tip I forgot: The 2nd floor coffee/donut stand; If you go be wary of homeless hanging around. I posted about a guy who ordered coffee, pointed to me and said "hes got it!"( He paid for himself when I declined.) You get a few guys who do this, as opposed to just asking.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
One tip I forgot: The 2nd floor coffee/donut stand; If you go be wary of homeless hanging around. I posted about a guy who ordered coffee, pointed to me and said "hes got it!"( He paid for himself when I declined.) You get a few guys who do this, as opposed to just asking.
Really? I guess that works often enough for them that they'll keep trying.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Like anything else regarding safety, just stay away from anyone that appears they may have voted for liberals and Biden.

It's kept me safe all these years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolgre View Post
I liked that quote: "Like anything else regarding safety, just stay away from anyone that appears they may have voted for liberals and Biden." That's a whole lot of people to stay away from here in NYC.
Stupid thing to say. Is it really necessary to throw in your personal prejudices into this thread? If it were my forum, I'd delete your post and the one you got your yulks over.

At any rate, the people you have to stay away from in the PABT likely never voted in their lives.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:32 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,250,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Stupid thing to say. Is it really necessary to throw in your personal prejudices into this thread? If it were my forum, I'd delete your post and the one you got your yulks over.

At any rate, the people you have to stay away from in the PABT likely never voted in their lives.
And thank god this is not your forum. You deleting those posts would be a form of censorship.

Last I checked, “personal prejudices” is not a TOS violation.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:40 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,163,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? I guess that works often enough for them that they'll keep trying.
I can see it working well, due to making the person feel guilty or intimidated.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
And thank god this is not your forum. You deleting those posts would be a form of censorship.

Last I checked, “personal prejudices” is not a TOS violation.
But "off-topic" is. Didja check that one? You can post all the "I hate <insert group of people>" posts you want in Politics & Other Controversies, or even on here if there's a thread that's relevant to whom you hate in New York City. This thread is about PABT safety.

And PLEASE stop with the "censorship" crap. Don't you know how many times we get to hear that same old tired line? Every third schmoe who gets something deleted sends us their "WAAAH, you are CENSORING MEEEE" DM. This is a privately-owned website with rules set by the owner. Censorship is not applicable.

This is off-topic, too. It can be deleted if one of the NYC mods so desires, and I won't whine about it.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:43 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,111,134 times
What the world needs is love...

Tiddays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City