Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 09:31 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,337,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Don’t forget how she attacked Florida’s DeSantis’ keeping his state open during the pandemic but then she goes down there to vacation and is seen dining, drinking while going maskless and enjoying the open atmosphere there that she was criticizing.
Yes, that too! I remember that. Like I said... A hypocrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
She is a politician. Politicians just revise their gimmick to pander to the current audience.

She is building her brand and eyeing a bigger political office. Senator or President (god forbid). She definitely wants to secure a book deal, a netflix life bio, those sweet 220K public speech recitals, etc.

She list what she did in the below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLQX...aOcasio-Cortez
Yes, but she is supposed to be "different", as she is a Progressive, fighting for the little guy. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 10:13 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,115,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, that too! I remember that. Like I said... A hypocrite.

Yes, but she is supposed to be "different", as she is a Progressive, fighting for the little guy. LOL
That is just the new BS to spew to the masses. All politicians and celebs are now on the mental illness wave. Before it was BLM, Occupy Wall Street, etc.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:14 AM

1,107 posts, read 555,918 times
First off, I have -- or should I say had -- family in her district. They moved because her progressive agenda did nothing to improve their lives or the condition of their neighborhoods. Helping people get access to benefits or services that they were already entitled to is nothing that any community organizer, social service, religious organization or even just a kind neighbor doesn't do. Those services are designed to help people in their existing situation, which is why they are offered by groups that have no ability to actually change or improve those circumstances. Elected officials are supposed to make those improvements, improvements that serve everyone in their district, that are lasting, that raise standards of living rather than just maintain them. You know, the whole "give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish" or "hand-out vs. hand-up" thing. The left talks a big talk about lack of generational wealth, but then support the circumstances that ensure generational poverty, or at least status quo. Bringing good jobs to the area instead of pushing them away, fighting against crime instead of fighting to keep criminals on the street, working with educators to get extra support to struggling students instead of lowering scholastic standards. People who want better lives for themselves and their children move to better neighborhoods for all of these reasons -- better work opportunities, safety, better schools. A good elected official will fight to deliver these things to their communities so everyone's circumstances can improve, not just those who leave. AOC does none of this.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:18 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,115,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
First off, I have -- or should I say had -- family in her district. They moved because her progressive agenda did nothing to improve their lives or the condition of their neighborhoods. Helping people get access to benefits or services that they were already entitled to is nothing that any community organizer, social service, religious organization or even just a kind neighbor doesn't do. Those services are designed to help people in their existing situation, which is why they are offered by groups that have no ability to actually change or improve those circumstances. Elected officials are supposed to make those improvements, improvements that serve everyone in their district, that are lasting, that raise standards of living rather than just maintain them. You know, the whole "give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish" or "hand-out vs. hand-up" thing. The left talks a big talk about lack of generational wealth, but the support the circumstances that ensure generational poverty, or at least status quo. Bringing good jobs to the area instead of pushing them away, fighting against crime instead of fighting to keep criminals on the street, working with educators to get extra support to struggling students instead of lowering standards. People who want better lives for themselves and their children move to better neighborhoods for all of these reasons -- better work opportunities, safety, better schools. A good elected official will fight to deliver these things to their communities. AOC does none of this.
AOC talks about doing this and aligns with groups that does it and with social media all the credit is given to her. She has learned the game of "politics".

Old 03-12-2022, 10:26 AM

2,988 posts, read 1,175,699 times
I thought new york was going to lose a seat in congress if true the dems could have use that reason to get rid of her district but i guess not!!

Old 03-12-2022, 10:30 AM

1,107 posts, read 555,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
AOC talks about doing this and aligns with groups that does it and with social media all the credit is given to her. She has learned the game of "politics".
No, she doesn't talk about this. Her agenda is not pro-job, it's pro-handouts to people who don't want to work and anti-big business. It's not pro-safety, it's pro-defund police, dismantle jails, no cash bail. It's not pro-education, it's pro-abolish standardized testing. She is anti- everything that makes desirable communities desirable.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:36 AM

9,250 posts, read 24,114,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
I thought new york was going to lose a seat in congress if true the dems could have use that reason to get rid of her district but i guess not!!
Why would the Dems eliminate a Dem district when they could eliminate a Republican district, which is what they have done? That would have made no sense for them. What they did with AOC's district was to break off the slightly weak dem part of it and attached it to a more Republican district, thereby simultaneously strengthening her position and weakening a more R leaning one.

NY State has now gone from having 27 congressional seats (with 17 solid dem, 5 strong R and 3 "competitive") to having 26 seats ( with 21 of them strong Dem, 4 strong Rep and only 1 competitive).

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-12-2022 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-12-2022, 11:43 AM

5,753 posts, read 2,654,926 times
I guess I could challenge her. Can I count on ya'll for a vote?

Old 03-12-2022, 12:15 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,247,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes because you seem impressed by her, so I wanted to see how "informed" you are. She's thrown a few bones to her constituents, nothing more than most elected officials do. There's nothing earth shattering about that. That's my point. She's getting paid (and quite handsomely) to do what she does, but she is still a hypocrite. I'm just calling her out on her BS.
i think she's a raving lunatic and a delusional hypocrite.

with that said if she does things like actually answer her constituents complaints and help with quality of life issues then she's going to keep getting their votes. that's more than most do for their constituents. Even if it's just helping them fill out paperwork for benefits that the old person in that office wouldn't do it helps get votes. To top it off she's from a poor district so all of her ranting about blaming rich people for their poor lot in life plays well.

Old 03-12-2022, 12:31 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,337,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I guess I could challenge her. Can I count on ya'll for a vote?
LOL I'd vote for you, but can't. Not a constituent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City