Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 01:01 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
It just doesn't have that skyscraper feel of Manhattan
How important is it to live with that skyscraper feel during your residency if you're going to spend gobs of time commuting instead of going in when you want to? Is the residency really that relaxed in its hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 01:19 PM

61 posts, read 38,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How important is it to live with that skyscraper feel during your residency if you're going to spend gobs of time commuting instead of going in when you want to? Is the residency really that relaxed in its hours?
I was told by residents in different departments during residency to not waste your 20s living in the bronx and on wayne avenue. Is it possible that I could fill out the NYC affordable housing form today (despite not living in the city today) and have it ready next year?

Old 04-01-2022, 01:50 PM

9 posts, read 6,776 times
Quote:
I was told by residents in different departments during residency to not waste your 20s living in the bronx and on wayne avenue. Is it possible that I could fill out the NYC affordable housing form today (despite not living in the city today) and have it ready next year?
How about you plan a trip to NYC and check out the area yourself, and use your own instincts instead of the instincts of another person you've never met. That's the only way you'll know if it's for YOU. Everyone is telling you how it seems to THEM.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:41 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Montefiore has subsidized housing in Riverdale. I think I'm more interested in Wayne avenue housing because of its proximity. Riverdale looks pretty rural on google maps and involves a commute.

1) Is there any value in commuting from there Fordham area? That seems a bit nicer.

2) How long would a commute be to midtown Manhattan if I take the 4 train?

3) If I won't be matriculating to Montefiore till 2023, is there any advantage to signing up for the affordable housing program in Manhattan now and trying to see if I can get a place in midtown? I have a NY address currently, but not a NYC address. Next year I will be coming from out of state to Montefiore.
2) How long would a commute be to midtown Manhattan if I take the 4 train?

From where? Upper Eastside? Midtown East? Greenwich Village/Union Square/Gramercy Park? Lower Manhattan?

Keep in mind #4 only makes handful of express stops in Manhattan. Unless you lived near say Brooklyn Bridge, 14th street, 86th street, 96th street.... you'll have to take local #6 and transfer. That would eat up some time.

This being said post graduates at Mount Sinai and Metropolitan have housing on UES/Yorkville or Spanish Harlem area. Some is privately found, others supplied by hospitals themselves. Much of it is from Third avenue east to York.

Unless there is some sort of problem trains are reasonably fast during daytime hours M-F. Evenings and weekend service is slower, and or there is always chance of work being done causing delays or service changes.

Consider what hours you'll be on duty, and would you really want a long commute after being wiped out from a shift. Unless you change clothing going to and from Montefiore in scrubs you'll stick out like a sore thumb. This could make you a target for being jacked, especially evenings/late or overnight.

3) If I won't be matriculating to Montefiore till 2023, is there any advantage to signing up for the affordable housing program in Manhattan now and trying to see if I can get a place in midtown? I have a NY address currently, but not a NYC address. Next year I will be coming from out of state to Montefiore.

Stated preference is for NY residents, but since you'll be arriving in NYC soon anyway that shouldn't be much of an issue. Sign up with Housing Connect or whatever and apply for buildings interested in, you never know. Upon arrival in NYC and settled down update your file to show current city address. It's a lottery and just like Power Ball it's all a roll of dice.

Old 04-01-2022, 03:33 PM

61 posts, read 38,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBobcat90 View Post
How about you plan a trip to NYC and check out the area yourself, and use your own instincts instead of the instincts of another person you've never met. That's the only way you'll know if it's for YOU. Everyone is telling you how it seems to THEM.
Based on the replies here and some google mapping, doesn't look super promising.

Old 04-01-2022, 03:47 PM

Think some of you have an idea of post graduate (formerly called intern and residency), that existed when nurses wore white dresses and funny hats.

Federal and local laws, labor actions (including formation of unions at some places), along with pressure from post graduates themselves have brought changes. While the job is still often grueling, limits have been put in place on how many hours any given post grad can or must work on average. As such post graduate doctors have more of work/life balance than previously.

What OP seems to be saying is he wants something more like Manhattan for reasons many others. Bronx (including Woodlawn), Riverdale, etc... just aren't same as Manhattan period. No one who wants the latter is going to choose former unless that is all which works for them at moment.

Here is old Montefiore manual from 2016...

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...al_rev2016.pdf

Old 04-01-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Again it's a lottery system, there's not any thing "ready". You apply to specific places, get assigned a number, then wait. Sometimes you'll be contacted early on in process, others not for several months or even years (wait listed). There is always chance Housing Connect or whoever will reach out about other buildings that you didn't apply for, but process would still be same (going through vetting).

Issue likely to work against you would be having current out of state address (much less city). Preference (but not mandatory) is for current NYC residents to be given priority based upon address. There is a chance system and or someone doing work will pass your file over if non NYC address shows up in system.

That being said huge bulk of "affordable housing" lottery units are in Brooklyn, Queens and now Bronx. Comparatively few buildings in Manhattan are part of scheme, and as you might imagine demand (in terms of applicants) far exceeds supply.

Bulk of "affordable" and "low income" lottery apartments for Manhattan are largely on west side (from Chelsea to Harlem), or Lower East Side, East Village down to FiDi. Neither area is exactly convenient to commuting back and forth from Montefiore.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:47 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Think some of you have an idea of post graduate (formerly called intern and residency), that existed when nurses wore white dresses and funny hats.

Federal and local laws, labor actions (including formation of unions at some places), along with pressure from post graduates themselves have brought changes. While the job is still often grueling, limits have been put in place on how many hours any given post grad can or must work on average. As such post graduate doctors have more of work/life balance than previously.

What OP seems to be saying is he wants something more like Manhattan for reasons many others. Bronx (including Woodlawn), Riverdale, etc... just aren't same as Manhattan period. No one who wants the latter is going to choose former unless that is all which works for them at moment.

Quite right but if the OP had made it clear that he/she is fixated on "the skyscraper feel of Manhattan" or even hinted that it was of primary importance most of us probably wouldn't have wasted our time trying to help at all.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:58 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
That was all really nice, but don't think it answered OP's question...
Guess he just wanted an opportunity to share a story that was totally unrelated to the question

Old 04-02-2022, 07:56 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:

Well if they wanted Manhattan, they should've said that in advance. It's fine if they don't care about travel, but if they want to be close to where they work, then it would make sense for them to be somewhere that is quiet and safe after a long day. I know some that worked at Lenox Hill and commuted from the outer boroughs. Whatever floats their boat. Not my commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City