Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 04:10 PM

31,957 posts, read 27,093,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well if they wanted Manhattan, they should've said that in advance. It's fine if they don't care about travel, but if they want to be close to where they work, then it would make sense for them to be somewhere that is quiet and safe after a long day. I know some that worked at Lenox Hill and commuted from the outer boroughs. Whatever floats their boat. Not my commute.
Know several nurses who live in NJ, Westchester and LI that commute from either LH or NYP on UES. No, wouldn't be my idea of a commute either but it seems to work out well for them.

Getting back to post graduate doctors, it's really luck of draw where most end up.

As with many other things people have a first choice or preference, but that doesn't always happen.

https://labblog.uofmhealth.org/med-u...xt-career-step

https://www.ama-assn.org/residents-s...-are-not-alone

Good number if not majority of post grads all want hospitals in large urban/metro areas but also prime spots (Manhattan, Boston, San Francisco, Miami, etc...) but there are only so many spots in those places and even if one does get say "NYC", that doesn't mean Columbia or New York hospitals.

Much of Brooklyn once was viewed as same backwater as Bronx, but as that borough has gentrified there may be less of that. Still know of someone just few years ago that was placed at Wyckoff and couldn't wait to get the eff out.

Regardless of where they end up those who do match up are lucky. Each year a good percentage of medical school grads don't find anything. Part of this is politics (post graduate residency programs are paid as part of Medicare, and Congress has frozen number of slots for over forty years), other bit is what it often is; certain persons, at least on paper, are deemed better qualified candidates than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 05:11 AM

9,249 posts, read 24,100,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Good number if not majority of post grads all want hospitals in large urban/metro areas but also prime spots (Manhattan, Boston, San Francisco, Miami, etc...) but there are only so many spots in those places and even if one does get say "NYC", that doesn't mean Columbia or New York hospitals.

Much of Brooklyn once was viewed as same backwater as Bronx, but as that borough has gentrified there may be less of that. Still know of someone just few years ago that was placed at Wyckoff and couldn't wait to get the eff out. ....................
Right for the most part but a few years back I had an interesting conversation with a doctor from Michigan who was renting an apartment in my building while doing his residency at Bronx Lebanon. The Bronx was his first choice...... and Brooklyn his second..........because his primary interest was in gunshot and stab wound traumas and all of their complications. Couldn't get enough of it and was thrilled to be in The Bronx! Told me that there were lots of doctors from all around who wanted to be in The Bronx for the same reason...a particular kind of work experience for which The Bronx had/has a reputation as the gold standard.

Also interesting...he solved his commute problem with a bicycle.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:23 AM

31,957 posts, read 27,093,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Right for the most part but a few years back I had an interesting conversation with a doctor from Michigan who was renting an apartment in my building while doing his residency at Bronx Lebanon. The Bronx was his first choice...... and Brooklyn his second..........because his primary interest was in gunshot and stab wound traumas and all of their complications. Couldn't get enough of it and was thrilled to be in The Bronx! Told me that there were lots of doctors from all around who wanted to be in The Bronx for the same reason...a particular kind of work experience for which The Bronx had/has a reputation as the gold standard.

Yes, there is that bit of things as well.

On average urban hospitals or medical centers, especially those that serve *ahem* the "hoods" will allow doctors and nurses both seasoned professionals or newly graduated to see things might other wise elsewhere. This and see such things often as in almost weekly if not daily. Certain healthcare professionals thrive on that sort of adrenaline rush.

Lincoln, Lebanon, and few other places in Bronx; Kings County, Bellevue...

Old 04-03-2022, 05:49 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,637,322 times
Quote:

That's hilarious

Old 04-03-2022, 05:57 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,637,322 times
The three neighborhoods with the most bars/restaurants not terribly far from Montefiore would be Belmont, Inwood and Woodlawn. Of those, you'd probably like Inwood best, but you'd need to take 2 buses to get there by public transportation. Woodlawn is one bus away, but it's suburban and probably not the crowd you're looking for anyway. Of neighborhoods within walking distance, I'd choose Bedford Park (I live here so I may be biased). It's not suburban and also quite safe, although it's going to be too quiet for you not enough to do. However, there's a metro north stop though so you could get into Manhattan quickly.

I don't understand why other residents would commute on the 4 though. The D is so much faster. You could live somewhere around Columbus Circle/Lincoln Center if you could afford it.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:11 AM

3,234 posts, read 1,614,930 times
Quote:

I have had the “joy” of being in the emergency room at Montefiore a few times. On the wall they had an old newspaper article saying it was one of the busiest emergency rooms in the country and I believe it. What a total madhouse, beds stacked three deep against the wall, no seats while you wait, noisy and crazy.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:28 AM

870 posts, read 417,292 times
The area is ok.... Ethnically diverse, few bars and restaurants, lots of grocery options crime soared during Covid. If you're looking for an apartment look towards Moshulu Parkway, much nicer apartments.
Or as stated before, depending on your means of transportation, you can look towards Riverdale, or even Kingsbridge or Woodlawn.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:59 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,675,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
Montefiore has subsidized housing in Riverdale. I think I'm more interested in Wayne avenue housing because of its proximity. Riverdale looks pretty rural on google maps and involves a commute.

2) How long would a commute be to midtown Manhattan if I take the 4 train?
The MTA page will give you commute time, station to station, station to address, and address to address. The D train is worth looking at it runs entirely underground in the Bronx and Manhattan.

For reaching midtown also look at the Express buses. A very nice ride on a motor coach type bus, the fare is more, limited stops on either end of route and non stop in the middle. Some routes only run M-F, morning and evening commuter time, others 7 days and one an hour until midnight. The BxM4 used to service the hospital. Also, the Metro North RR goes the Grand Central from Williams Bridge and Woodlawn stops. Woodlawn (sometimes called Woodlawn heights is a neighborhood to look at. It’s on the other side of the large cemetery from the medical center, but near to the hospital around 233rd St.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:30 PM

QUOTE=throwaway14393730;63188006]Incoming physician that unexpectedly matched at Montefiore. Can anyone tell me about the area around the hospital, specifically the commercial area on Gun Hill Road/Jerome avenue/Wayne street). How safe is it? Seems like there are quite a few commercial businesses there, but hard to gauge the quality of restaurants, nightlife etc.[/quote]

If you have never lived in NYC there is something to be said for signing up for what the Residency housing offers for the shortest lease for a good landing spot, and make plans for the future.

In the somewhat larger area there are some well regarded high schools. Some require an exam or application. There is also Lehman College. A public golf course.

Maps, the MTA has a local map for each subway stop in the Bronx. Look at maps for Woodlawn (4), Moshulu Pkwy (4), Bedford Park (B)(D), Norwood 205th (D). Keep in mind, some of the “subways” are elevated. The 4 Train is above ground from Yankee Stadium until it’s terminus at Woodlawn. These maps show buses too, but don’t seem to show the Express Buses BxM1 to BxM18.

https://new.mta.info/maps/subway/mta...ood-maps/bronx

Many times I would visit with friends in Manhattan until the next to last or last BxM4 back to Woodlawn where I was staying.
https://new.mta.info/schedules/bus/bronx

Old 04-18-2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
It just doesn't have that skyscraper feel of Manhattan
Bluedog has made excellent posts here.

Here is another factor to consider, does the Residency provided housing or the hospital make it affordable to keep a car? An advantage the Bronx has over most of Manhattan is there are places where a busy person without deep pockets can keep a car. A car gives you a lot of advantages. You can visit Manhattan for that skyscraper feel.

StreetEasy is a NYC real estate page. Many features for searching and mapping places for rent.

Winning a NYC affordable housing lottery is a low probability. Even if you do win, there can be long waits involved. So expecting to win and to win on your own timeline lowers the probability even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City