Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 07:05 AM

265 posts, read 151,290 times

Advertisements

probably more profitable than trying to get residential rental income.

and no risk of deadbeat non paying customers getting free storage and tying up eviction process in courts that will last a year or two

i havent looked up storage unit policies, but im guessing you dont pay, you dont get access to the unit, your stuff gets tossed after a while if you dont pick it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 07:48 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Which storage do you use? Where in the city? How long have you had it, and have you noticed any environmental issues (meaning insects/rats, humidity/mold, and similar)?
I have a unit in Manhattan and I don't recall how long it has been since it recently switched hands and was sold, but it has been several years now for sure, maybe going back to 2016 or 2017. As I said, I don't have anything in the unit and got it because it included a service where I can have packages delivered there and signed for me if I am not around and can't sign for them myself, so I couldn't tell you, but when I go there, the place looks clean and is fairly new. If I am home and know I will be around to get a package, I just have it delivered home, but if it is super important and is coming internationally or requires a signature, then I may have it sent there, this way if I am out, I don't have to worry about it and I don't have to worry about it being delivered elsewhere, which also seems common for my residence for whatever reason.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:18 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I have a unit in Manhattan and I don't recall how long it has been since it recently switched hands and was sold, but it has been several years now for sure, maybe going back to 2016 or 2017. As I said, I don't have anything in the unit and got it because it included a service where I can have packages delivered there and signed for me if I am not around and can't sign for them myself, so I couldn't tell you, but when I go there, the place looks clean and is fairly new. If I am home and know I will be around to get a package, I just have it delivered home, but if it is super important and is coming internationally or requires a signature, then I may have it sent there, this way if I am out, I don't have to worry about it and I don't have to worry about it being delivered elsewhere, which also seems common for my residence for whatever reason.
Where in Manhattan? What area of Manhattan?

Old 07-26-2022, 06:50 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
we have more "stuff" the the people did way back in the day.
people have more than one coat, one pair of shoes, etc.....

all new apartments, even million dollars one, do not come with adequate closet space,
so many don't have a coat closet or a linen closet, so coats and towels and sheets have to go somewhere.

we have a few storage units near my apartment also.
I feel, if I had to rent a storage unit, then that is stuff, that I don't really need.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Where in manhattan? What area of Manhattan?
I didn't say... NOYB. Why so many questions? In any case I find it convenient and I can park if need be, pick up my things, and be on the go.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I didn't say... NOYB. Why so many questions? In any case I find it convenient and I can park if need be, pick up my things, and be on the go.
Okay, be paranoid if that's your thing . If I move into Manhattan, I will need a storage unit, because I would prefer to get the smallest possible condo/coop, and put the overflow of stuff (mostly books, some clothes I don't wear any more but can't part with) in a storage unit. I considered the UHaul at the end of W 23rd St in Chelsea, but someone posted something about mold and rodents.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Okay, be paranoid if that's your thing . If I move into Manhattan, I will need a storage unit, because I would prefer to get the smallest possible condo/coop, and put the overflow of stuff (mostly books, some clothes I don't wear any more but can't part with) in a storage unit. I considered the UHaul at the end of W 23rd St in Chelsea, but someone posted something about mold and rodents.
Not paranoid at all. You should've just said you were looking for a storage unit. You may want to look at a few of them. In no particular order:

Manhattan Mini Storage:

1) 543 W 43rd St (24/7)

2) 645 W 44th St (not 24/7)

You can try those for now. As I said I have nothing in my storage unit and I have not checked it since I opened the account, so I cannot say how they function regarding that.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:45 PM

Okay, thank you. That location would certainly be very convenient.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:48 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
I don't really understand it. How often do people go to these storage sites? Do they really drop by to get a different coat? I lived in apartments for 40 years and just had whatever could fit where I lived.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I don't really understand it. How often do people go to these storage sites? Do they really drop by to get a different coat? I lived in apartments for 40 years and just had whatever could fit where I lived.
I get the impression that some people have businesses and don't have the room at home to store all of it at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City