Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving from North Carolina to New York City for job promotion, would like information on real estate; walkable neighborhood with cafes, parks, short commute, $1800 month rent

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:38 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,955 times

Advertisements

I live in NC and may transfer to NYC for a promotion. After reading various threads about property/city taxes and commuting costs, perusing the NY Times real estate section, and craigslist; I'd hazard to guess that my "promotion" will be in title only. Seems there won't be much real economic benefit.

For those who relocated to NY out of necessity (work, family obligation etc), do you have any advice or regrets?

I'd also appreciate advice from locals on where to live if I should choose to relocate.
I'm 29, single, female. I'm not into partying in trendy clubs and prefer an occasional (once a week) jaunt to a lounge, or live music venue. I'd prefer to be walking distance to neighborhood cafes/ bookstores, a handful of economical eateries and groceries, and large park where I can jog outside or sit to read and people watch. I'd prefer a neighborhood that's not completely dominated by one ethnicity. A mix would be nice, but it's not a deal-breaker.

With my raise and cost of living adjustment, a conservative estimate on salary is $125k. With the 40x rule I could technically afford $3k/mo for rent. However, I'm a fiscal conservative (..cheap) and own rental property that I'd cover, should I ever find myself without tenants. So, the budget is $1000 - $1800 a month for a 1br (600+ sq ft). I would not consider a studio. I'd prefer not to live in an area where it's clearly life-threatening to walk home alone at 8pm.

My place of work is west mid 50's (between 6th & 7th). I'd prefer a commute less than 40 min, with the walk to public transportation less than 10 min. I'd consider roommates and a 2br+, just to keep the commute reasonable. I own a car, which may give me some flexibility on neighborhoods, but will ditch it in a heartbeat if that's recommended.

In order of importance:
1. walkable neighborhood w/ cafes, park, cheap eats
2. commute
3. budget $1800
4. perceived safety

I've no real preference of the city vs an outer borough.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Last edited by heavyweight; 05-25-2008 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 11:53 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,591 times
Can't answer for the other boroughs but for Brooklyn, based on your description, I would look into Prospect Heights. Nice demographic mix, not too far from Prospect Park, Brooklyn Museum and has a nice amount of restaurants and lounges when you want to go out in the neighborhood. The biggest thing is you may want to ditch the car since it is not a necessity in New York and if you decide to live in Brooklyn the cost of insurance is high. Also alternate side parking is a big pain.

Be aware though, if you decide to look into Prospect Heights, Real Estate agents will try to tell you that the beginning of my area, Crown Heights, is Prospect Heights. Prospect Heights is a relatively small area between Washington and Flatbush, and Eastern Parkway and Atlantic.

Also, you might want to look into Fort Greene.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:14 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Jeez, you are one smart person. It's very rare that anyone is clear-sighted enough to prioritize what's important to them with a living situation - because in NYC you rarely get everything you're looking for.

Despite what you said, I'd urge you to consider a studio in Manhattan, with the benefits of a shorter commute, and being in the center of everything. Luckily, NYC is pretty safe these days, but I tend to think that you have to cruise neighborhoods and see what appeals to you. You might want to consider looking for a furnished sublet for a month or two, to give you the leisure to look around. You might want to check out Craigslist, both for apartment ads, and for the Housing forum, which is sometimes good for advice. You won't need the car, by the way.

And don't come to NYC for any economic benefit. You shouldn't come unless something about the city excites you - the bustle, the art, the theater, the food, the diversity. Otherwise you'll just find it stressful.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:16 PM

127 posts, read 635,678 times
Astoria would work. A 1BR should run you well below $1800 and it's probably about a half hour to 57th & 7th. I live there and most young people do seem to like it (although I'm not crazy about it myself). Lots of stores and cafes (bookstores, not so much), and there's Astoria Park. Aesthetically it does leave something to be desired.

I'm moving to Forest Hills, which I find to be a little nicer, albeit decidedly less hip. That could potentially work for you too, although you'd be adding on to the commute a little bit.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I was going to suggest Astoria as well, because it hits all your points (minus the bookstore) and the commute wouldn't be bad at all. The area where you are working would seem to lend itself to a Queens location rather than a Brooklyn one - just in terms of the commute.

Astoria is high on diversity and cheap eats and other eats and ethnic eats. . .
I have heard Astoria Park is really great though I've never been there.
Plenty of people in your demographic live there.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
With a $125k salary I see no reason why you shouldn't just throw down $2k an get a 1br in Manhattan.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:35 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was going to suggest Astoria as well, because it hits all your points (minus the bookstore) and the commute wouldn't be bad at all. The area where you are working would seem to lend itself to a Queens location rather than a Brooklyn one - just in terms of the commute.

Astoria is high on diversity and cheap eats and other eats and ethnic eats. . .
I have heard Astoria Park is really great though I've never been there.
Plenty of people in your demographic live there.
I agree completely. Astoria Park has a beautiful view of the city, and it's quite enjoyable to just gaze at it. There's a lot of food around, so you could probably find something to satisfy your needs, and the commute to Manhattan is pretty short.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
With a $125k salary I see no reason why you shouldn't just throw down $2k an get a 1br in Manhattan.
That won't get a decent 1 BR in Manhattan. Really. Unless it's way uptown and/or a walk-up. I don't know but walking up four flights with groceries just doesn't appeal to me at the end of a workday.

I would suggest the OP look at the 'Need advice on moving to NYC' sticky.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:57 AM

151 posts, read 525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
In order of importance:
1. walkable neighborhood w/ cafes, park, cheap eats
2. commute
3. budget $1800
4. perceived safety

I've no real preference of the city vs an outer borough.

-----
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
General advice: Live outside of Manhattan. Manhattan is sterile and lame and unhip (!!) and ridiculously overpriced, even by NYC standards.

Specific, really useful advice: Unless you're out-and-out whitebread, the ethnic papers really offer up great apartment deals... and every ethnicity in NYC has some sort of paper. However, if you're a whitey like me, you're basically out of luck. Stick to craigslist and stay away from the Times. Only bother investigating apartment ads with pictures... if they don't post pictures, there's a reason.

For the money you're willing to pay, I'd say check out Park Slope and Prospect Heights. Great and exceptionally trendy walkable neighborhoods -- if super, duper gentrified and increasingly less diverse (read: ethnic). They're also really safe, except for the stroller moms, who can and will literally run you over with their strollers or kill you if you look at their precious baby-kins cross-eyed.

Park Slope or Prospect Heights for you, young lady.

Edit: And aside from, like, two neighborhoods, all NYC is safe now. It's Disneyland, for better... and for worse.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
I don't agree that Manhattan is sterile, etc. I've lived here almost my entire life and can't imagine living elsewhere - and I've been transferred for short periods (4 months or so) elsewhere, so I have compared.

But you have to be prepared for the cost. It can be done, but there are always compromises that have to be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City