Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times

Advertisements

I called 311 on multiple occasions due to loud noise.
The response is........ The police have up to 8 hours to respond.... The police never came. 8 hours is a long time for loud noise when you can't sleep .......I made a complaint against the precinct ...... still nothing

What is the purpose of 311 regarding noise complaints.

This is a joke, can't we go back to the old days and call the cops directly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:18 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,429 times
I agree! I've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no point in even bothering to call 311.

It's not a top priority for the Police - so I've been told.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,386 times
Oh, how I know! Last Saturday the Mexicans on the other side of us had a LOUD party, with a live band - until 4:38 AM!!!!! They have this party a few times a year. The police referred me to 311, which was worthless.

There are a lot of children in this neighborhood. No one got any sleep.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times
Yeah its insane.

Bloomberg needs to change the way noise complaints are handled.

Its useless speaking to the people having the parties because they are not considerate. I have tried this route many times and almost got into a fight.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,343 times
The only way to get a response from 311 is to not just call for a noise complaint, but allege that something more sinister is occuring. For example, they are playing loud music and you heard a girl scream. Or you think there may be drug activity happening. Or strange individuals are going into and out of a place/loitering....a fight, etc. Only then will the cops take the complaint seriously...and since it is anonymous, you don't have to worry about anything. Just be vague with the sinister aspect and you will receive a much better response...calling just for a noise complaint means you won't get a response.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Oh, how I know! Last Saturday the Mexicans on the other side of us had a LOUD party, with a live band - until 4:38 AM!!!!! They have this party a few times a year. The police referred me to 311, which was worthless.

There are a lot of children in this neighborhood. No one got any sleep.

Lolol. Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but the visual with the Mexicans just made me chuckle. Them people LOVE live music. I've walked past houses before and had to stop and listen and think to myself 'Is there really a whole band in that backyard??' lol. Those people can party...

Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times
I agree, 311 is totally useless. I used to have a Mexican store across the street from me that would blast very loud music, with bass, all day long. I called 311 several times and no one ever came to investigate. Thank God that store went out of business.

I don't know how they stayed open as long as they did, I never saw one customer go in.

What is it with these Mexicans and loud music?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:56 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,527 times
What has the world come to when people can move into a NYC ethnic neighborhood and be able to complaint about the loud music to 311 and to top it off the police do nothing about it, tis tis...
Just messing with you'll. I had a neighbor upstairs playing loud music at night in the middle of the week. I had enough and went upstairs and politely asked them to stop since I work during the work. And guess what they stopped.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:13 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
What has the world come to when people can move into a NYC ethnic neighborhood and be able to complaint about the loud music to 311 and to top it off the police do nothing about it, tis tis...
Just messing with you'll. I had a neighbor upstairs playing loud music at night in the middle of the week. I had enough and went upstairs and politely asked them to stop since I work during the work. And guess what they stopped.

You are lucky. Most people will continue to make noise, or they are really spiteful, make even more noise.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,032,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The only way to get a response from 311 is to not just call for a noise complaint, but allege that something more sinister is occuring. For example, they are playing loud music and you heard a girl scream. Or you think there may be drug activity happening. Or strange individuals are going into and out of a place/loitering....a fight, etc. Only then will the cops take the complaint seriously...and since it is anonymous, you don't have to worry about anything. Just be vague with the sinister aspect and you will receive a much better response...calling just for a noise complaint means you won't get a response.
We've tried that in the past. With the M-13 and Latin King activity around here, they refuse to go down the driveway as they are afraid of a gunfight (it's actually more of a small street, with 3 houses).

Pretty bad when armed Police are afraid to break up a party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City