Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

Once upon a time, I had a downstairs neighbor who used to crank the music up so loud, everything in my apartment would rattle. I tried talking to her about this, but she practically slammed the door in my face with a remark about, "I'm not making any noise." This declaration of war led me to adopt Plan B:

I stood in the middle of my living room and began jumping up and down as hard as I could. When (as it turned out) I knocked the light fixture out of her ceiling, she called the police. The cop who knocked on my door was very sympathetic--he could hear what was emanating from her apartment halfway down the hall. He did make me promise not to do that again, to which I agreed on condition that my neighbor cease and desist.

She had very little use for me after that, but on the other hand, things got much quieter. And the landlord never had to become involved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 AM

175 posts, read 487,308 times
I had this very annoying neighbor once who would play loud heavy metal music at like 2 am on a monday or some random day very late. It got to a point where I would jump up and down but he would only play the music louder. Then I borrowed my DJ friend's speakers with the craziest bass ever. It was halarious. Everytime i hear guitar, my bass would pump so loud it rattles everything. I won.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Once upon a time, I had a downstairs neighbor who used to crank the music up so loud, everything in my apartment would rattle. I tried talking to her about this, but she practically slammed the door in my face with a remark about, "I'm not making any noise." This declaration of war led me to adopt Plan B:

I stood in the middle of my living room and began jumping up and down as hard as I could. When (as it turned out) I knocked the light fixture out of her ceiling, she called the police. The cop who knocked on my door was very sympathetic--he could hear what was emanating from her apartment halfway down the hall. He did make me promise not to do that again, to which I agreed on condition that my neighbor cease and desist.

She had very little use for me after that, but on the other hand, things got much quieter. And the landlord never had to become involved!

lOVE IT !!!!!

That was a great idea. Too bad her ceiling didn't cave in.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
I had this very annoying neighbor once who would play loud heavy metal music at like 2 am on a monday or some random day very late. It got to a point where I would jump up and down but he would only play the music louder. Then I borrowed my DJ friend's speakers with the craziest bass ever. It was halarious. Everytime i hear guitar, my bass would pump so loud it rattles everything. I won.
LOL What a way to get even

Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Lucky there is no such a problem on my block, but still once a while
some aholes who don't live here with their car speakers blaring so
loud the glasses shakes. The worse is those who did it during the
middle of the night. I don't really understand them, they did it just
to annoy people or what?
I had a kid next door who was "fixiing" his stereo one worknight, at like 1am. I got up, got a tomato from my fridge, and threw it at his car. The look on his face was priceless. He got all mad "Why you throw that at my car", but i lived in the back of the house so i went right to sleep while my roomate told him to shut it.

Never happened again. He did always try to fight me(ha!) but he ended up in juvi anyway.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
The entire problem lies in the fact that there is a breakdown of society as a whole. No one cares about anyone but themselves. Inconsideration reigns supreme in NY.
I was brought up to respect my neighbor and keep noise level down at night. If a party was planned, we would actually ask our neighbors beforehand and appologize if the noise got too loud.
Now no one gives a sh i t e

Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
The entire problem lies in the fact that there is a breakdown of society as a whole. No one cares about anyone but themselves. Inconsideration reigns supreme in NY.
I was brought up to respect my neighbor and keep noise level down at night. If a party was planned, we would actually ask our neighbors beforehand and appologize if the noise got too loud.
Now no one gives a sh i t e
So true. It's very sad actually. I had neighbors that used to love to come home from work at 11:00 PM and put on their surround sound TV and watch action movies. I used to hear the bass so loud it would shake my floors. This was all the time too, not just occasionally.

I tried to leave them a nice note (I wasn't comfortable knocking, I didn't know them that well).

Didn't work, actually think it got worse. They didn't acknowledge the note.

Luckily, they moved out a few months later.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
So true. It's very sad actually. I had neighbors that used to love to come home from work at 11:00 PM and put on their surround sound TV and watch action movies. I used to hear the bass so loud it would shake my floors. This was all the time too, not just occasionally.

I tried to leave them a nice note (I wasn't comfortable knocking, I didn't know them that well).

Didn't work, actually think it got worse. They didn't acknowledge the note.

Luckily, they moved out a few months later.

You have to wonder what runs through peoples minds when they do stuff like this. You live in an apartment, it is 11pm, most people are sleeping.....I can't understand what would make someone pump the surround sound at that time..... they are either just plain dumb or most probably don't care, which isn't nice or considerate.

I think all apartment buildings on the face of the Earth should not allow any surround system at all.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I think we can all agree once in awhile everyone makes noise/has a party or something like that...we are human beings after all. In my building if someone is having a party I just want to know in advance (and you must invite me and my third floor tenant, although we would not go). And so long as its not every weekend, then I am ok with it.

If you enjoy listening to loud music/tv ANY time of day, or stomp like an elephant etc...you will be gone. However, if you live in a building with multiple tenants, it is near impossible not to have all or some of these problems consistently. It's part of living in the city.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,347 times
I do think some of you complain too much. Its summer time. Allow people to enjoy the warm weather and feel merry. Now if this a everyday thing, I could understand but you dont hear much noise during the cold season.

Let people have fun for christ sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City