Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 01:16 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Hannah, I have had bad luck with clothes sizing online. Sending stuff back is a total aggravation.

Clothes and shoes MUST be tried on, IMHO at least.
I agree about trying clothing/shoes on in a store. The only exception is when buying the exact same item (same manufacturer & same size) that I already have and therefore I know that it fits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 06:51 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am too frugal for Madison and Fifth Avenue shopping. I don't pay retail.

All I have on the UES are Target and H&M, neither of which appeal much to me. Penney's clearance sales could not be beat, typically 50 or 75% OFF for what's left over at season's end.
I've dropped 40 pounds and need shorts that fit but I might be too late.

Geez, I haven't been to Rego Park since a dear friend died 6 years ago, but I'll check out Queens Center with fingers crossed.
Okay, but you don't have to resort to J. C. Penney.

As you live in Manhattan, are you aware of all the sample sales in the garment district, especially at this time of year?

Old 11-12-2022, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Okay, but you don't have to resort to J. C. Penney.

As you live in Manhattan, are you aware of all the sample sales in the garment district, especially at this time of year?
One can also go to Macy's (Manhattan or Queens) as their sale prices are good for clothing (which is definitely on par with JC Penney).

Old 11-14-2022, 12:21 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
There's one in Queens which is steps from the R train. Shouldn't be too hard from UES.

I googled what happened to the JC Penney space and Wikipedia says it's a "dead mall" - not sure if that's an official term? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Mall

Kohls would be similar to JC penny but I don't think Manhattan or even the boroughs have those either
That JC Penny Mall in Herald Square used to be Gimbels, famous for among other things in the movie Miracle on 34th Street where Santa tells the mother that Macy's doesn't have the toy in stock but she can find it across the street at Gimbels

Old 11-15-2022, 09:51 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I never liked TJ Maxx or Marshalls. To me, all they have is junk. JC Penney is much better and sells quality merchandise at really good prices. It's a shame the business is suffering so much.
Really?

I’m surprised. I find nice clothes from TJ Maxx and Marshalls for me and my family all the time. Over the years I’ve gotten loads of good sweaters, tops, jeans, pants, dresses, men’s dress shirts, ties, hats, scarves, underwear, etc.

Maybe it depends on the particular store.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:51 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,090 times
The PC penny at 34st had the most ugly shirts I've ever seen!

Old 11-16-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Really?

I’m surprised. I find nice clothes from TJ Maxx and Marshalls for me and my family all the time. Over the years I’ve gotten loads of good sweaters, tops, jeans, pants, dresses, men’s dress shirts, ties, hats, scarves, underwear, etc.

Maybe it depends on the particular store.
I agree that it depends on the store. But the greater problem is that you have search through various styles of clothing lumped together. Therefore I prefer like stores JC Penney or Macy's (or even Sears) when they have sales.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:19 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
I use Target (regular Target, not those mini Targets) for socks, underwear, casual tops and pants. Obviously, it's not fancy but their generic brand clothes are well made and hold up.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
The PC penny at 34st had the most ugly shirts I've ever seen!
But for clearance prices of $4.

Best price clearances were at the Newport Mall in Jersey City.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I use Target (regular Target, not those mini Targets) for socks, underwear, casual tops and pants. Obviously, it's not fancy but their generic brand clothes are well made and hold up.
Target underpants definitely seem to do the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City