Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 05:02 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,909,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay135 View Post
I will be moving from Atlanta, I was born and raised in NJ . I want to move back up north to push my photograhy career higher and meet more like minded people. I am tired of the energy and people of the south and just feel like I am not meant for here. I am looking for a good date life, I date black and white women so hopefully that is not an issue in Brooklyn.

I am looking for a studio for around the 2000, and was hoping Bushwick would fit all my needs I stated above.

If you have other location reccomandations, please list away!
I've heard that Atlanta is the Black Mecca, so it's very surprising that you'd want to move back to NJ. I do, however, understand when folks want to go back home. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 05:52 PM

1,075 posts, read 551,484 times
Quote:
As a photographer trying to get more in the industry, you this is a great place ro live and network or elsewhere?
Bushwick has thousands and thousands of artists and many artist studio buildings. Check 1717 Troutman (technically Ridgewood) and 56 Bogart. Those would be for work only. You'd have to live in a different building.

Probably plenty of live/work spaces as well but at $2000 you will find only shares. You won't find your own live/work loft for $2000 a month in Bushwick.

You can look at Stephanie Diamond's The Listings Project and Gertie's Live Work (google those)

Old 11-07-2022, 09:21 PM

73 posts, read 123,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Bushwick has thousands and thousands of artists and many artist studio buildings. Check 1717 Troutman (technically Ridgewood) and 56 Bogart. Those would be for work only. You'd have to live in a different building.

Probably plenty of live/work spaces as well but at $2000 you will find only shares. You won't find your own live/work loft for $2000 a month in Bushwick.

You can look at Stephanie Diamond's The Listings Project and Gertie's Live Work (google those)
Do you know if crown heights is good for artist?

Old 11-08-2022, 01:01 AM

791 posts, read 490,846 times
Quote:
I will be moving from Atlanta, I was born and raised in NJ . I want to move back up north to push my photograhy career higher and meet more like minded people. I am tired of the energy and people of the south and just feel like I am not meant for here. I am looking for a good date life, I date black and white women so hopefully that is not an issue in Brooklyn.

I am looking for a studio for around the 2000, and was hoping Bushwick would fit all my needs I stated above.

If you have other location reccomandations, please list away!
Kudos to you for being transparent about your race/age/gender. Some like to pretend it shouldn't matter when looking to find a home but truthfully we all know it does.

I'm a late 40's/white male/old school NYer from Queens. You couldn't pay someone like me to live in Bushwick or its surrounding areas. However that should have no bearing on your decision. I'm a totally different demo/psychographic than the folks that live there.

Like others have said, it was a mostly minority area from the 70s to about early 2000s however lots and lots of white liberal out of state gentrifiers have moved in. I even know a few! Fine people, just sort of fake imo. The type of folks seeking minority diversity in their lives hoping to give it meaning. But once they get to their late 30's and decide to raise their little white liberal kids, they head for zzz hillzz. Lol. As far away from black/hispanic folk as possible. So just know what type of white people you'll be dealing with. But to be honest, if I were a young black man such as yourself I'd probably live there as its one of the safer areas of NYC when compared to other parts of BK and Bronx/South Queens.

And I wouldn't worry too much regarding your career. The fact is all of NYC is so intertwined, professionally you're in the right region regardless of whether Bushwick is specifically a place or not for photographers.

Good luck.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:29 AM

1,075 posts, read 551,484 times
Quote:
Do you know if crown heights is good for artist?
Bushwick has probably 10x the number of artists, and 10x the # of galleries, plus art supply shops and services, but Crown Heights is ok. Check out the Monti Building - work only, and Five Myles Gallery where there are a lot of events.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:07 AM

2,229 posts, read 776,523 times
Does anybody know if Ocean Hill is safe nowadays?

Old 11-08-2022, 12:54 PM

73 posts, read 123,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Kudos to you for being transparent about your race/age/gender. Some like to pretend it shouldn't matter when looking to find a home but truthfully we all know it does.

I'm a late 40's/white male/old school NYer from Queens. You couldn't pay someone like me to live in Bushwick or its surrounding areas. However that should have no bearing on your decision. I'm a totally different demo/psychographic than the folks that live there.

Like others have said, it was a mostly minority area from the 70s to about early 2000s however lots and lots of white liberal out of state gentrifiers have moved in. I even know a few! Fine people, just sort of fake imo. The type of folks seeking minority diversity in their lives hoping to give it meaning. But once they get to their late 30's and decide to raise their little white liberal kids, they head for zzz hillzz. Lol. As far away from black/hispanic folk as possible. So just know what type of white people you'll be dealing with. But to be honest, if I were a young black man such as yourself I'd probably live there as its one of the safer areas of NYC when compared to other parts of BK and Bronx/South Queens.

And I wouldn't worry too much regarding your career. The fact is all of NYC is so intertwined, professionally you're in the right region regardless of whether Bushwick is specifically a place or not for photographers.

Good luck.
Haha thanks for all this. Honestly I am leaning more towards williamsburg now.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:01 PM

2,229 posts, read 776,523 times
Quote:
I hope you can afford it.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:54 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,878,176 times
Bushwick Brooklyn N.Y.C. rating 54 Crime F Amenities A+ Housing F

Laurelton Queens N.Y.C. rating 71 Crime C+ Amenities A+ Housing D-

Crown Heights Brooklyn N.Y.C. rating 81 Crime A+ Amenities A+ Housing D

I'd try Crown Heights......................as far as rental stock .............and quality of life.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:56 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,878,176 times
Quote:
meh...................the williamsburg train left the station about 20 years ago........but hey more power to you.

Rating 67...... Amenities A+ .......Crime F ..........Cost of Living F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City