Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 10:06 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id3ntidycrisis View Post
Parts of Jackson Heights in Queens are designated IMPACT zones. IMPACT zones are areas where crimes occur on a more active basis. Queens Borough Queens North/Queens North Task Force proactively patrol those areas.
Because of the drug trade and teen gang stuff that spills over from Corona. Now, I am not downing Colombians because a lot of my family lives in Bogota, Cali, and Medellin, but Jackson Heights is largely Colombian and well, get the picture?

But let's not exaggerate. There are very few parts of Queens that compare to the South Bronx or rougher parts of Brooklyn. If JH and Corona are your idea of bad neighborhoods, I think you need to get out more. I have no issues with walking through any part of Corona or JH at day or night but I couldn't say the same of many parts of Brooklyn or the Bronx.

I wonder if you are from New York. I have never heard anyone from NYC say these areas are dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Are you joking? Jackson Heights is bad? Corona? Yeah, maybe parts of Jamaica/South Jamaica but that is just a hoot. I lived in Corona. Corona is a craphole, filthy, and full of very poor, illegal immigrants but it's not dangerous to walk through, just depressing. Jackson Heights on the border of Corona is similar but there are also a lot of very nice blocks wth gardens and landmarked buildings where people are well-to-do. I don't believe you know what an adrenaline rush is.
Here's what many blocks in Jackson Heights look like
Panoramio - Photo of 34th ave & 82nd st corner

Roosevelt Ave looks seedier than this, but I've never been afraid to walk down it, even at night.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:05 AM

48 posts, read 149,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxPride View Post
Now for poverty by Congressional district. Unfortunately, based on 2006 data, 109th Congressional District Demographic Rankings Table by Proximity, the Bronx has the poorest congressional district.

1.NY 16 - 40.84% poverty, (per wikipedia, includes Bedford Park, East Tremont, Fordham, Hunts Point, Melrose, Morrisania, Mott Haven and University Heights. )
2. PA 01 - 30.65%
3. TX 25 - 30.63%
4. MI 13 - 30.35%
5. TX 15 - 30.29%
6. CA 20 - 30.24%
7. MS 02 - 28.85%
8. TX 27 - 28.44%
9. NY 15 - 27.79% poverty (per Wikipedia, includes Harlem, Inwood, Marble Hill, Spanish Harlem, Washington Heights, Morningside Heights and portions of the Upper West Side.
10. NY 10 - 27.54% poverty (per Wikipedia, includes Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Heights, Brownsville, Canarsie, East New York and Ocean Hill, as well as parts of Fort Greene and Williamsburg. )

On the bright side, NY's 16th Congressional District's poverty decreased by 1.33% since 2000. Also, as you can see from the list, other NYC districts made the top 10 poor list.

%Poverty = percent population with income at or below poverty level

Links:
1. 109th Congressional District Demographics 2006 109th Congress Congressional District 2006 Demographics
2. 110 Congressional District Demographics (census 2000)110th Congress Congressional District Demographics
3. New York's 16th congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
4. New York's 15th congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
5. New York's 10th congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
6. US Census Bureau Poverty Measurement Poverty - How the Census Bureau Measures Poverty (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/povdef.html#3 - broken link)

It is my belief that most of that 1.33 percent are at the poverty line! The bad part about it is! That some one who makes 100 dollars over the poverty line can not apply for many things people below the poverty line can .

If you have two families . One makes 100 dollars more a year than the other . But that one family that makes 100 dollars less that below the poverty line . They will have a much easier time getting , food stamps , welfare , section 8 , food pantry assistance ect .Where as the family just making 100 dollars more a year but is 100 dollars too high will have a terrible time trying too get any assistance . In reality the family that makes 100 dollars too much is actually poorer than the family that can have more advantages being in poverty .
My point is thats sometimes sometimes people who are in poverty by statistics are actually better off than people who are just above the poverty line .

Well around 50 percent of all of new york city are at the poverty line . Only 20 percent of those can get the best of those benefits! Because around 20 percent are below the poverty line in new york . 30 percent are at the poverty line .
Those 30 percent at the poverty line are often just as poor if now worse off than people below the poverty line .

This is why a 1.33 percent decrease in poverty can be a false number .

Last edited by Existtoexit; 06-30-2008 at 12:22 AM..

Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Because of the drug trade and teen gang stuff that spills over from Corona. Now, I am not downing Colombians because a lot of my family lives in Bogota, Cali, and Medellin, but Jackson Heights is largely Colombian and well, get the picture?

But let's not exaggerate. There are very few parts of Queens that compare to the South Bronx or rougher parts of Brooklyn. If JH and Corona are your idea of bad neighborhoods, I think you need to get out more. I have no issues with walking through any part of Corona or JH at day or night but I couldn't say the same of many parts of Brooklyn or the Bronx.

I wonder if you are from New York. I have never heard anyone from NYC say these areas are dangerous.

Now with the colombian issue i find them too not be as major of a threat as many other groups in new york . I have yet too meet a sleazie colombian or a rude violent colombian! All of the colombians i have met have been very good . I have also noticed that many of the colombians coming here are becoming middle class rather quick . I see towns where colombians are already living in 700 thousand houses .

You have too remember columbia is quite far from new york it is not as easy as it is for columbians too get here as mexicans who just take a hop and leap and are in california . Or the cubans who take rafts into miami .

Because of the distance factor it seems we are having a some what more sophisticated and richer class of colombians coming here vs some of the other groups .

Even if the colombians bring in drug gang problems . It seems too be much like the mafia it will not be street crimes . IT will be crimes that will be done only when things need too b e taken care of .
It is not like you don't have a major drug problem in new york anyways . Supply and demand if the drugs are already here as long as you don't have more people wanting too buy more drugs than there already is! Than the selling of extra drugs is useless . It seems that crack and cocain have actually lowered a little bit in new york since the 80's and 90's . Soo i do not see the colombians as some big new threat in nyc .

I personally think street gangs are much worse and much more detrimental too a city than organized crime ever could be! A city where street gangs aimlessly shoot and rob anyone in site is a major problem in a city! A mafia type gang who only kills people when they try too mess with him , or stiff him out of a major deal . That is not as much of a problem in my eyes . Organized criminals are discrete , sophisicated and dress nicely . They are even polite too citizens . Why because they don't want too get caught they only want too make money and be left alone by the cops and the feds .

Old 06-30-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Here's what many blocks in Jackson Heights look like

Roosevelt Ave looks seedier than this, but I've never been afraid to walk down it, even at night.

LOL! These areas look about as seedy as scarsdale or greenwich . Is this some kind of joke?

I would be more scared too walk in beverly hills at night than there! At least in beverly hills you have paris hilton , brittney spears , oj and a bunch of wackos running around ! LOL

Btw is the major crime impact zone he was talking about a section of a jamaican neighborhood? I would assume soo.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
Speaking of impact zones....im in one!

Anybody else?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existtoexit View Post
LOL! These areas look about as seedy as scarsdale or greenwich . Is this some kind of joke?

I would be more scared too walk in beverly hills at night than there! At least in beverly hills you have paris hilton , brittney spears , oj and a bunch of wackos running around ! LOL

Btw is the major crime impact zone he was talking about a section of a jamaican neighborhood? I would assume soo.
why would a major crime impact zone directly correlate to the neighborhood being jamaican? i dont understand.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-30-2008, 07:59 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existtoexit View Post

No, there are no Jamaicans in Jackson Heights that I know of.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:21 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,232 times
Cool lol seriously

Quote:
Are you joking? Jackson Heights is bad? Corona? Yeah, maybe parts of Jamaica/South Jamaica but that is just a hoot. I lived in Corona. Corona is a craphole, filthy, and full of very poor, illegal immigrants but it's not dangerous to walk through, just depressing. Jackson Heights on the border of Corona is similar but there are also a lot of very nice blocks wth gardens and landmarked buildings where people are well-to-do. I don't believe you know what an adrenaline rush is.
Yeah I live in Corona now. Can't wait to get out..but it's definitely NO WHERE near being the exciting ghetto that this man is looking for. It's just a filthy poor cockroach infested neighborhood with a 1% english speaking population...this is unfortunate to me as English is my first language lol. Plus I don't fit in because you can tell I'm mixed and have more white in me than anything. <not meant to be a rude comment...but it's true.
Jackson Heights....what loser said that's a ghetto? That's a NICE area. It's middle class and near so much nice stuff..just nice nice nice lol. That's where I want to move to perm. actually. And only half of Jamaica is realllly bad.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
why would a major crime impact zone directly correlate to the neighborhood being jamaican? i dont understand.

It does not have too be . But queens in general has alot of jamaicans and many jamaicans are taken over new neighborhoods which can cause impact zones .

I don't wanna sound too bad . But in jamaica and in nyc it is known that a good amount of jamaicans are very criminally involved . Jamaica is known too have some very vicious violent gangs . My friends uncle got burned too death by another gang in jamaica .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City