Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 05:19 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

I was at Fette Sau years ago. It’s good. But Hometown BBQ in Red Hook is actually one of the best BBQ joints I have ever been to nationwide.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 08:10 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Let me tell you guys! I'm in Virginia now! When I see my ex-pat New Yorker friends, the one topic we always get back to is food. In Virginia, no decent bagels so we order from Zabar's. No Italian pastries so we order from Ferrara's.

Additionally, I ordered aged provolone from Pennsylvania Macaroni. For Easter, I ordered Ferrara's Easter bread. For Christmas, I ordered dried cod from Frank & Sal's.

Oddly enough, we have a Russian/Polish import store. The owner drives to Greenpoint Brooklyn for inventory. The only problem is all the great rye bread is frozen. It ain't the same as fresh.

Sounds awful until I realized how much I'm saving on taxes. And, the weather is so much nicer! Spring begin in late February and goes forever.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:19 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
I have found a decent pizza place, but no pizza in NJ is anywhere near as good as places I went in Brooklyn. Found good bagels, but bread overall is a disaster. Bread, pizza and bagels are better in Brooklyn than anywhere.

2 specific foods that are great and can't find as good outside of NYC - the soup dumplings from Ollie's Sichuan and roast beef sandwiches from Brennan & Carr.

Old 04-20-2023, 09:01 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Dallas BBQ is horrible. I couldn't understand for the life of me why they were so packed.
Same reason Subway, Dominoes, Olive Garden thrives.
It's cheap.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:59 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I have found a decent pizza place, but no pizza in NJ is anywhere near as good as places I went in Brooklyn. Found good bagels, but bread overall is a disaster. Bread, pizza and bagels are better in Brooklyn than anywhere.

2 specific foods that are great and can't find as good outside of NYC - the soup dumplings from Ollie's Sichuan and roast beef sandwiches from Brennan & Carr.
In Virginia we have a pizza maker from Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. It's the best pizza!

For bread, bagels and Chinese once you leave Brooklyn/Manhattan, its all downhill. There is one exception for Chinese - Blue Orchid in Westwood, MA.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Italian food is overrated but if you told Italians, you called pasta/spaghetti, "noodles", they'd get their grandma to curse you out.

The best Italian food I had was in Italy but the 2 best pasta dishes ( caccio e pepe and carbonara ) are very easy to make of you can source quality ingredients. Go to a place like D. Coluccio & Sons
In Dyker and you can make a pasta dish better than any restaurant in NYC for about $30.
FINALLY, finally! Someone else shares my sentiment. I just don't get the hoopla people make about Italian food. I've had Italian food in various restaurants and even in Little Italiy two decades ago when there were still Italians there...and I found nothing spectacular about the food. Nothing.

I used to have an Italian coworker and one day we went to her house (Long Island) for lunch. There was a table full of food for just her and her BF. I tasted the various foods but the only thing that left me with a positive impression was the prosciutto. Even with that, I've only had it about twice since that time (over a 15 year period).

Last edited by Klassyhk; 04-21-2023 at 07:49 PM..

Old 04-21-2023, 07:42 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
The tap water. It tastes terrible elsewhere.
True.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:16 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Zabar's and Katz's

Old 04-21-2023, 08:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Apparently they never quite came back from the rats in the "outdoor" kitchen scandal, but the reviews online for this place are stellar https://abc7ny.com/rat-prosperity-du...-alley/960477/
I'd probably check it out if they were still open, rats and all.
What infuriated me was that it was basically someone trying to show off on the internet. Any decent person would simply privately have called the health department and it would have been cleaned up. In fact, the reason for the problem in the first place, making dumplings out back in unsanitary conditions, was also caused by people showing off online who kept raving about the place, pulling in more nitwit tourists than the little place could sustain.

Old 04-22-2023, 06:16 AM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Zabar's and Katz's
Love love Katz and every t8me we go there I ask myself why we don’t come more often.
We agreed long ago that at $50 a sandwich that would be out cutoff point.
It’s such a hassle to drive out there and park though, which is why we go once a year if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City