Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 05:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Not sure I’d trust any food that costs $1.50
Hahahah. In this case it’s simple food packed with flavor. Chickpeas and bread, no preservatives. It’s cheap because the shop is in Richmond Hill. Nothing fancy, they have dozens of other things too like goat and oxtail lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 07:03 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
No question: Chinese dumplings.

I still haven't recovered from the closing of Prosperity Dumplings in Chinatown.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:36 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

I still haven't recovered from the closing of Prosperity Dumplings in Chinatown.

Dumplings? It's a transplant fad. Same as $40 bowls of ramen.
Dumplings are ubiquitous in NYC since many cultures have their own variation.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:42 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
As long as I can get Juniors Cheesecake and Haagen Dazs I'm good

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-12-2023, 08:22 PM

96 posts, read 35,699 times
I’ve never had bomb Italian noodles in NYC. The reason why is I am not a foodie and I have not time to just try tons of subpar places trying to find what is best.

If you go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes, and make it at home, it’s basically good enough as far as I know. Plus a $8 bottle of red and toast some garlic bread. At home.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not cheap either because I appreciate nice experiences. But I am not going to experiment and spend $2,000 worth of restaurant receipts just to find some diamond in the rough.

A bowl of noodles, pasta sauce, piece of nice cheese and bottle of wine should be $30 grocery bill for two people at home. That includes maybe a few specialty ingredients from an Italian market:

Old 04-12-2023, 08:33 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
I’ve never had bomb Italian noodles in NYC. The reason why is I am not a foodie and I have not time to just try tons of subpar places trying to find what is best.

If you go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes, and make it at home, it’s basically good enough as far as I know. Plus a $8 bottle of red and toast some garlic bread. At home.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not cheap either because I appreciate nice experiences. But I am not going to experiment and spend $2,000 worth of restaurant receipts just to find some diamond in the rough.

A bowl of noodles, pasta sauce, piece of nice cheese and bottle of wine should be $30 grocery bill for two people at home. That includes maybe a few specialty ingredients from an Italian market:
Italian food is overrated but if you told Italians, you called pasta/spaghetti, "noodles", they'd get their grandma to curse you out.

The best Italian food I had was in Italy but the 2 best pasta dishes ( caccio e pepe and carbonara ) are very easy to make of you can source quality ingredients. Go to a place like D. Coluccio & Sons
In Dyker and you can make a pasta dish better than any restaurant in NYC for about $30.

Last edited by Esacni; 04-12-2023 at 08:44 PM..

Old 04-12-2023, 08:55 PM

96 posts, read 35,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

True story, as far as hot food goes I know more than a few reliable and non pretentious restaurants in Chinatown that are honestly great. I specifically tried to avoid this topic not draw much attention to it but Chinatown basically takes the cake as far as hot food goes. If they are in the window brewing broth up its probably bomb food. Plus the Chinese butcher shops.

But I’d be at my spot and it keeps getting more and more expensive. Some of my spots are straight up nice customer service and non pretentious, solid. Nice portions. But it is getting expensive.

The prices in China compared to Chinatown (Manhattan) are ten fold.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:29 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,567 times
Halal chicken and lamb with rice..extra white sauce

I can find pizza and dumplings in most states but not that

Old 04-13-2023, 06:17 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Trying to change up the mood in the forum a bit.

What are some of the foods you would not be able to live without if you moved.

For me it would be pizza ( new park in Howard Beach), pastrami, and some of the Soviet food I grew up on which are non existent outside of NYC and some of the other bigger cities.
Maybe few Thai places I really like. Pío Pío chicken probably also would be dearly missed.
I love Pio Pio, and the Peruvian chicken places I've tried elsewhere have simply not compared. The Matador combo there is always my go to.

I will say that, living in Honolulu, the pizza is only average at best, but it's not one of those things that I truly crave for to make much of a difference, though every now and then I do get a real craving for a good slice.

For me--and acknowledging that I can get this elsewhere, too, but I write about it here as I grew up eating it in NYC--I've been longing for good West African, good Indian, and a nice hero/sub. Those are some things that I try to find whenever I'm back on the mainland, and particularly back in NYC.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:21 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Well you won't get a chance to anymore in all it's original glory. Once Dominic passed away so did the magic.
Wow, you know I didn't realize that he passed! I haven't had their Di Fara's pizza since before his death apparently, but my father used to buy boxes worth (cost a pretty penny!) and we always loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City