Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 08:51 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Gino is better than New Park? I’m gonna go this weeekend to try.
Gino’s is just down the road from New Park on Cross Bay Blvd. Good pizza, but different than New Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 06:57 PM

96 posts, read 35,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m not big into bakery items besides bread, mainly as rolls for burgers and the occasional sandwich.
None of that is remotely healthy but honestly if you were going to buy bakery’s items, buy them cheaply such as the places in Washington Heights they keep it economical.

Today I read a news piece about a $29 ham sandwich in Manhattan and I hope it has no correlation to my rant here about the $30 sub sandwiches. This city restaurant industry has been dumbed down so deeply that I would not doubt my one little post complaining here caused a chain reaction of dumb sandwich prices!

Protect yourselves.

The new report was a $29 ham and cheese not including tax. My previous gripe here was about a $26 giagantic fresh Italian sub with everything with tax included

But honestly the majority of people will Never wake up soon enough

Old 04-15-2023, 02:20 AM

785 posts, read 484,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
An actual deli is a NY thing. Just can’t get the real thing anywhere else.

DiFara opened an outpost in Cary,NC.
If by "NY" you also mean CT and NJ, then yea. I've also been in good delis on Boston, Providence...basically anywhere in the NE where you have had Italians/Germans/Jews.

Old 04-15-2023, 04:13 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
I used to think pizza but found some spots as far as Virginia when visiting.

I thought Italian bakeries but I found some good places in New Jersey.

What I can't find is Italian bread. Hard Crust. The kind you fight
for the ends when you are sitting down at family dinners.
Outside of N.Y.C. it's soft as marshmallows.
What the heck. I still have my teeth!

Yup. Unless someone tells me different.
I'll miss good old fashioned Italian Bread.

Old 04-15-2023, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Italian food is overrated but if you told Italians, you called pasta/spaghetti, "noodles", they'd get their grandma to curse you out.

The best Italian food I had was in Italy but the 2 best pasta dishes ( caccio e pepe and carbonara ) are very easy to make of you can source quality ingredients. Go to a place like D. Coluccio & Sons
In Dyker and you can make a pasta dish better than any restaurant in NYC for about $30.
Italian food is overrated
See what you did. I have to hold back my mother from chasing you down with her pallotta.
So Sorry...............you never had real Italian food.

Old 04-15-2023, 04:40 AM

I can't believe no one mentioned DeVino's in Howard Beach.
Down by the Cross Bay Bridge across the street from Russo's Restaurant.

New Hyde slice folds like a paper napkin. Great paper thin crust pizza.
Ginos is dripping with cheese and sauce. Thicker great pizza.
DeVino's is a dryer slice. Sweeter sauce and cheese. Thickest slice great pizza.

Each has their pros and cons. All worth a sit down............hahaha..

Old 04-15-2023, 04:57 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,934,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I can't believe no one mentioned DeVino's in Howard Beach.
Down by the Cross Bay Bridge across the street from Russo's Restaurant.

New Hyde slice folds like a paper napkin. Great paper thin crust pizza.
Ginos is dripping with cheese and sauce. Thicker great pizza.
DeVino's is a dryer slice. Sweeter sauce and cheese. Thickest slice great pizza.

Each has their pros and cons. All worth a sit down............hahaha..
Been going to New Park since 1992. Few come close, but to me that one is number 1.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:06 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Italian food is overrated but if you told Italians, you called pasta/spaghetti, "noodles", they'd get their grandma to curse you out.

The best Italian food I had was in Italy but the 2 best pasta dishes ( caccio e pepe and carbonara ) are very easy to make of you can source quality ingredients. Go to a place like D. Coluccio & Sons
In Dyker and you can make a pasta dish better than any restaurant in NYC for about $30.
Italian food is not overrated and it is supposed to be simple. Going back years ago, the food was simple because Italy was poor, so yeah you made do with what you had. Pasta is cheap (costwise) and filling. Throw in some veggies with some sort of meat and you have a meal. I believe you said you are Jewish, no? Same deal with the Jews. Many dishes are cheap and easy to make...

What's important is that the quality of the ingredients are good, which is why in Italy they still very focus on freshness. Getting seafood caught the morning of and eating it that night, etc. That's one reason I have kept up with going to the supermarket a few times a week as I did when I lived there to ensure freshness and quality (not buying things loaded with preservatives, etc.). You can eat like a king for a few bucks.

Personally what I enjoyed most was streetfood there. Inexpensive and absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, you cannot get the same level of quality here for such simple items.

Pizza is something I enjoyed here growing up, but today, if you really want quality pizza, you will have to pay for it. I love getting those personal sized pizzas from one of my Italian spots (Italian, not Italian-American, since those are usually the huge pizzas you see most places serve) especially a pizza bianca... Truffles, pancetta, etc. with some wine and I'm set.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:24 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
What do I miss:

Good Asian food.

Good delis.

Good coffee shops (and I don't mean Starbucks!)

Good supermarkets. (I'm waiting for Wegmans to continue its southward ventures.)

Good bakeries. Bread should have a crunchy crust.

Old 04-15-2023, 12:08 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
True story, went to Peru many years ago to explore, imagine my surprise when I didn’t find anything that resembled Pio Pio type chicken /green sauce there. Food there didn’t blow me away, but the ceviche I had in a restaurant by the beach was insane.
Yeah, from what I gather most of the Peruvian chicken places you'll find apart from Pio Pio (even within NYC) are more closely related to the kind of chicken you'll find in Peru. But that just goes to show how much of a gamechanger Pio Pio is, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City