Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 11:25 AM

88,522 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
An Everything bagel.
Well, I had an everything bagel in a rural town in Ontario. The problem was that it was at a Tim Horton's. The person I went there with thought it was great. It did have the "everything"...just wasn't a real bagel.

But one good thing I did have up there was something called Crispy Everything Cream Cheese Bites. There's this chain of stores that sells only frozen food. Kind of expensive, but all good quality.

They kindly leave out the fake bagel. Good snack.

https://www.mmfoodmarket.com/product...m-cheese-bites

Old 04-16-2023, 12:47 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, I had an everything bagel in a rural town in Ontario. The problem was that it was at a Tim Horton's. The person I went there with thought it was great. It did have the "everything"...just wasn't a real bagel.

But one good thing I did have up there was something called Crispy Everything Cream Cheese Bites. There's this chain of stores that sells only frozen food. Kind of expensive, but all good quality.

What in the world is it if it isn't a real bagel? Funny enough, all of the times I've been up in Canada, we've never eaten at a Tim Horton's. I believe I've seen on in Manhattan and I've never been intrigued enough to stop by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 01:41 PM

96 posts, read 35,651 times
Apparently, sliced bagels are doubly taxed in NYC if they are sliced with cream cheese spread on the halves. Yesterday I read about how one crafty NYC place is selling unsliced bagels with the cream cheese that is Injected into the uncut bagels, so this is to reduce the taxes because it is not a sliced bagel. Is that story even real? Because it sounded real when I read it.

Now they need to start fixing the $29 ham and cheese sandwiches (that is $29 without any of all the taxes and endless amounts of gratuity hidden or otherwise). It’s a ham and cheese sandwich that basically looks like something you would get in a jail cell. $29.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:09 PM

1,034 posts, read 672,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Native to me, so I’m biased.
But that’s for your input.
Have you ever ordered at Cheeseboat on 9th Ave in Hells Kitchen? It’s a Georgian restaurant and I’m curious how the food is there.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:15 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Bagels in Montreal are at least as good as NYC.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:34 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
Apparently, sliced bagels are doubly taxed in NYC if they are sliced with cream cheese spread on the halves. Yesterday I read about how one crafty NYC place is selling unsliced bagels with the cream cheese that is Injected into the uncut bagels, so this is to reduce the taxes because it is not a sliced bagel. Is that story even real? Because it sounded real when I read it.

Now they need to start fixing the $29 ham and cheese sandwiches (that is $29 without any of all the taxes and endless amounts of gratuity hidden or otherwise). It’s a ham and cheese sandwich that basically looks like something you would get in a jail cell. $29.
I thought you were kidding, but then looked it up. I guess I never noticed which food items I buy that are taxed vice which aren't taxed. I figured that they were all taxed, but not thinking back on things when I buy candy or chips, etc., in NYC I'm merely paying the listed price without tax.

Apparently altering the bagel makes it a "prepared" food item subject to tax, which is insanity.

Old 04-16-2023, 04:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 546,528 times
The tap water. It tastes terrible elsewhere.

Old 04-16-2023, 05:28 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,236,287 times
Definitely pizza.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:12 PM

96 posts, read 35,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I thought you were kidding, but then looked it up. I guess I never noticed which food items I buy that are taxed vice which aren't taxed. I figured that they were all taxed, but not thinking back on things when I buy candy or chips, etc., in NYC I'm merely paying the listed price without tax.

Apparently altering the bagel makes it a "prepared" food item subject to tax, which is insanity.
Well, who owns the bagel production in NYC? I heard many are produced in Brooklyn by a specific group of people that nobody is allowed to talk about.

Old 04-16-2023, 09:00 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
Well, who owns the bagel production in NYC? I heard many are produced in Brooklyn by a specific group of people that nobody is allowed to talk about.
There's always one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City