Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2024, 09:02 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Government Help = Anything I can get without dipping into my wallet ?
Lets be serious here

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 09:25 AM

16,179 posts, read 6,921,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lets be serious here
O.K. O.K...............Not everybody carries a wallet.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
O.K. O.K...............Not every person carries a wallet.
Everybody depends on the government in some way, if you didn't, then you would be a sovereign nation

So be specific on what government help is

Old 02-01-2024, 11:09 AM

15,882 posts, read 14,538,304 times
NYC built it's budget to be dependent on the taxes paid by the resident population of hugely rich people (to 1% and even top 0.1%). Shrink the number of people in that category paying in, and the budget becomes untenable. And, of course, trying to cut the budget significantly cause political nuclear warfare. So it behooves NYC/S (the state is a big part of this also) to do as little to **** off / drive out the billionaires.

Of couse, if they drove out the economic bottom 1,000,000 or so of the city's population, they could cut the budget significantly.

Quote:
So every city needs rich people? Because I'm failing to see how this issue is exclusive to NYC.

Last edited by BBMW; 02-01-2024 at 11:32 AM..

Old 02-01-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
NYC build it's budget to be dependent on the taxes paid by the resident population of hugely rich people (to 1% and even top 0.1%). Shrink the number of people in that category paying in, and the budget becomes untenable. And, of course, trying to cut the budget significantly cause political nuclear warfare. So it behooves NYC/S (the state is a big part of this also) to do as little to **** off / drive out the billionaires.

Of couse, if they drove out the economic bottom 1,000,000 or so of the city's population, they could cut the budget significantly.
The economic bottom is actually supported by the federal government and not NYC, so that argument is dead

Section 8, SNAP, even NYCHA is federally funded.

Old 02-01-2024, 12:03 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,730,722 times
Quote:
The economic bottom is actually supported by the federal government and not NYC, so that argument is dead

Section 8, SNAP, even NYCHA is federally funded.
Not true. State and the city supplement funding.
Some programs are 100% Fed, but those are rare and not the norm. NYCHA is not just fed.
There are also programs that are 100% city funded, but again those are not the norm. One of the biggest departments in NYC is DSS (Social Services) and it is bigger than NYPD, FDNY, Sanitation, and DOT combined...

I haven't seen current numbers for SNAP, but it is less than 40% Fed funded. After lobbying by the Homeless Industrial Complex (and Food bank non-profits) SNAP benefits in New York are substantially higher than the Federal minimums. All those extra SNAP payouts and broader eligibility requirements are not covered by federal money and come from state/local budgets.

Last edited by Gantz; 02-01-2024 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-01-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Some programs are 100% Fed, but those are rare and not the norm. NYCHA is not just fed.
There are also programs that are 100% city funded, but again those are not the norm. One of the biggest departments in NYC is DSS (Social Services) and it is bigger than NYPD, FDNY, Sanitation, and DOT combined...

I haven't seen current numbers for SNAP, but it is less than 40% Fed funded. After lobbying by the Homeless Industrial Complex (and Food bank non-profits) SNAP benefits in New York are substantially higher than the Federal minimums. All those extra SNAP payouts and broader eligibility requirements are not covered by federal money and come from state/local budgets.
Never said NYCHA was not just Fed

Check the numbers tho and see how much the Fed contributes

https://council.nyc.gov/budget/wp-co...3/03/NYCHA.pdf

Old 02-01-2024, 01:11 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,730,722 times
Quote:
Never said NYCHA was not just Fed

Check the numbers tho and see how much the Fed contributes

https://council.nyc.gov/budget/wp-co...3/03/NYCHA.pdf
We are getting into the weeds here. Whether a particular program is Fed funded or by what % is largely irrelevant. What is relevant is the cumulative impact of these programs on the budget, which I've outlined previously as a comparison to Long Beach (as someone else used it as an example). There are programs that are 100% city funded, but again, I am not going to bring them up since its largely irrelevant to the main point.

Old 02-01-2024, 01:46 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,538,304 times
DSS is $10 billion, so 10% of the city budget. I don't know how far that would go down if the bottom 1,000,000 inhabitants of NYC were squeezed out, but I wouldn't be surprised it it was lowered by at least half. And how much extra costs to they cause in other departments (police, education, HHS, etc.)?

Quote:

Old 02-01-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
We are getting into the weeds here. Whether a particular program is Fed funded or by what % is largely irrelevant. What is relevant is the cumulative impact of these programs on the budget, which I've outlined previously as a comparison to Long Beach (as someone else used it as an example). There are programs that are 100% city funded, but again, I am not going to bring them up since its largely irrelevant to the main point.
The title of the thread is we are losing billionaires
So I thought it was financial related
Now its not

So what programs are city funded?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City