Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2023, 09:52 PM

50 posts, read 28,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
When thousands of uneducated, illiterate illegal aliens show up demanding public assistance, the city is definitely going to change.

Eventually, the people that have made the city great will move out.

Illegal aliens are not people that are making the city great.
But immigrants is a NYC staple, like it's known for being the international American hub, so what is your beef with immigrants now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2023, 12:57 AM

791 posts, read 490,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowm3 View Post
With so many transplants coming to live in the city. And also due to the fact that so many native New Yorkers are moving out already.

I've always been interested in the city ever since I took a school trip there 7 years ago. And I still have this weird feeling everytime I see a video or something about it. Like I should be there but I do not know. But as much as I would like ot be immersed in the culture, so to speak, it seems it's changed a lot since I last been there based on what I'm seeing.

So I wanted to ask, do you guys think it's still the city it once was or do you think its changing for the worse? I haven't been back since then, but i would love to visit again to get a good feel of what I really want out of the experience. Possibly make a move. Maybe that's just me with rose colored glasses, but who cares...
I guess the culture is always changing in NYC, for better for for worse. I mean just think in the 50s there was little to no crime and then by the 70s it was a cesspool. So things do change fast here.
Yes, natives of all backgrounds are leaving (African Americans to the south, whites/hispanics to Florida/Texas). Inbound is an endless line of foreigners, not so much Americans from other states. So with that, I think what you'll see is a continued change of what was considered American culture to more and more segregated foreign cultures all over the city. Flushing, Queens for example is now entirely mainland Chinese. Most of Elmhurst is now foreign born South Americans.

As for Manhattan, it will always be a mish mosh of wealth, utter garbage and the working class traveling in and out.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:20 AM

5,843 posts, read 2,964,750 times
NYC is a transient city. People come and go like gypseys. It can never have any culture of substance unless you move up the social ladder a lot and hit circles of higher standards, humor and education.

Old 12-25-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
But immigrants is a NYC staple, like it's known for being the international American hub, so what is your beef with immigrants now?
There is a huge difference between previous waves for say Europe who came here as doctors engineers and such and the uneducated poor that come in now.
Some of the ex soviet waves that came here, came in with money, some with lots of it and on top of it they had great education from soviet times which was miles ahead of anything Columbia could offer.

Old 12-25-2023, 11:44 AM

3,351 posts, read 1,241,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
NYC is a transient city. People come and go like gypseys. It can never have any culture of substance unless you move up the social ladder a lot and hit circles of higher standards, humor and education.
Nah Vegas is a transient city. Tons of people spend their entire lives in NYC.

Old 12-25-2023, 11:55 AM

10,130 posts, read 15,013,843 times
NYC isn't the only place going through cultural change, the US as a whole seems to be going through some cultural changes, more in some places than in others.

For example, take racial identification which has been heavily entrenched in the American psyche, especially the intensifying in the 20th century of things (in reality inventions when you think about it) such as the One-Drop-Rule, among others. The rejection of the traditional labels and even greater acceptance of simply identifying as mixed seems to be greater now and continue to grow. Hispanics/Latinos are a major reason as the biggest rejection to traditional US racial labels comes from the growing Latino segment of the population more than any other group.

I'm under the impression that most of the illegal immigrant influx into NYC are mostly Hispanics/Latinos, especially Venezuelans.

As this tendency continues to grow and be more accepted, I expect for that to also radiate in the US influence regarding this particular subject in other countries.

Old 12-25-2023, 02:10 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,609,436 times
The city has always been changing and will keep changng

Old 12-25-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Nah Vegas is a transient city. Tons of people spend their entire lives in NYC.
Vegas is not a city. Its an economy pretending to be a city.

Old 12-25-2023, 02:52 PM

3,242 posts, read 1,691,658 times
Quote:
Immigrants are slaves, they are welcomed here to be exploited and used for cheap services. If they enjoy being exploited than let them keep getting used and abused. Don't complain if they are forced to live in ghettos and paid cheap. That's exactly how slaves are treated.

As long as the well to do get their food delivered, grass cut, bed sheets changed. They love having cheap labor here in NYC. Just don't live near them.

Old 12-25-2023, 02:56 PM

8,524 posts, read 4,762,898 times
NYC can’t really go that far downhill, so nothing much to fear.

Honestly, as others have said, there’s a lot of change there as in any large city. It’s just something which happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City