Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 06:18 PM

427 posts, read 155,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowm3 View Post
I hear this a lot too on social media. What is the beef with midwestern people LOL?
The midwest (and most less-developed areas) suffers from massive brain drain. Many of these areas were developed as industrial towns, and when the industry was shipped to Asia by the boomers, they ceased being desirable places to live. Young people still think places like NYC are a great place to be, so once they save enough for an Amtrak ticket they high tail it to the big city to... well, apparently overdose on Fentanyl on 7th Avenue. And this is the "best and brightest", the true proles are still there, making tuna casserole and dying broke. It's all a giant disaster and a typical hallmark of dying empires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 08:07 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,606,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
The midwest (and most less-developed areas) suffers from massive brain drain. Many of these areas were developed as industrial towns, and when the industry was shipped to Asia by the boomers, they ceased being desirable places to live. Young people still think places like NYC are a great place to be, so once they save enough for an Amtrak ticket they high tail it to the big city to... well, apparently overdose on Fentanyl on 7th Avenue. And this is the "best and brightest", the true proles are still there, making tuna casserole and dying broke. It's all a giant disaster and a typical hallmark of dying empires.
Nixon opened up trade with China, and he's 3 decades too old to be a boomer

Old 12-27-2023, 07:16 AM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times
I share the OP's inexplicable "connection" to NYC. I'm a direct, sometimes undiplomatic type, which doesn't go over too well in the south, and always thought I'd fit in just fine there. I've visited a few times and always felt perfectly at home. Hence my following this forum!

And I, too, fear for it.

Isn't it amazing -- and frightening and appalling -- that so many seem to NOT understand the difference between legal and illegal immigration???

Old 12-31-2023, 08:39 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
I lived in NYC for 37yrs before relocating to Florida’s gulf coast 7yrs ago. My take on NYC is…. You’re a hamster on a wheel, running and running and running while struggling to get ahead. I’ve accomplished more in the 7yrs that I’ve been in Florida vs the 37 in NYC. Don’t get me wrong, I had lots of fun while in my teens - 30’s, but as I started approaching my 40’s I knew I needed a change. I was able to buy a new construction home within 3yrs of being here (which would not have been possible for me in NYC), and just the overall quality of life is a night/day difference. I wake up and take a 15 minute walk to the gulf vs literally stepping over the homeless on my way to/from work.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:04 AM

14,058 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I lived in NYC for 37yrs before relocating to Florida’s gulf coast 7yrs ago. My take on NYC is…. You’re a hamster on a wheel, running and running and running while struggling to get ahead. I’ve accomplished more in the 7yrs that I’ve been in Florida vs the 37 in NYC. Don’t get me wrong, I had lots of fun while in my teens - 30’s, but as I started approaching my 40’s I knew I needed a change. I was able to buy a new construction home within 3yrs of being here (which would not have been possible for me in NYC), and just the overall quality of life is a night/day difference. I wake up and take a 15 minute walk to the gulf vs literally stepping over the homeless on my way to/from work.
South Florida expensive as gentrifying Brooklyn and Queens areas.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:04 AM

11 posts, read 11,041 times
NYC culture used to be so chill. Just hanging out with my lenape homies, hunting deer and fishing in the estuaries, communing with nature. Then these illegal dutch showed up and started building fences and walls and suddenly we were no longer allowed on our ancestral land! And they keep speaking some weird language, eating gross food and bringing in all sorts of vice and diseases. Disgusting! I hope they go back.

Old 12-31-2023, 01:40 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
South Florida expensive as gentrifying Brooklyn and Queens areas.
Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and some other cities, yes! I live in Tarpon springs which is the suburbs of Tampa along the Gulf of Mexico. The big difference is that nobody is FL pays city or state taxes. I bought my house during covid when interest rates dropped to as low as 2.75%. 2 story, 3bed/3bath 1550 sq feet. My mortgage is $1275/month. You could not rent a windowless basement studio in NYC for that.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:48 PM

1,302 posts, read 339,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
100's of thousands leaving NY every year. 100's of thousands of illegals moving in. Check back in 10 years.
100's of thousand of middle class/upper middle moving out. When anyone tries to tell you it's the poor or the rich moving out, they're lying or clueless.

Old 12-31-2023, 10:38 PM

1,302 posts, read 339,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
I'm not so sure that's the case anymore. Have a business acquaintance who lives outside of Detroit. Bought a house in 2011 at $225K. Is now worth $1.3MM.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
NYC changes constantly.

Now that I think of it, maybe we're better able to weather change than most of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City