Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 06:52 PM

3,774 posts, read 4,122,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012
I was curious so I checked on them for a random weekday ... $400 a night for a tiny room for 1 person! That is apparently "affordable"?! Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorsamsa8 View Post
I only paid about $125 or so in the winter months. Was a Friday. $400 no way.
These Pod hotels are like other NYC chain hotels in that the nightly rate can vary widely, depending on the time of year and events going on in the city. $125 is normal if it is not a busy time, and $400 is normal when lots of tourists and conventions are in town. I paid $250 per night at a Pod Hotel in June 2023. Right now the New York Hilton is being advertised for $170, but when the city is busier it is about $450 per night. Be careful when getting a Manhattan hotel because the price you see advertised is not always the price you get. An "activity fee" or "facilities fee" (about $35 if charged), and the city hotel room tax can inflate those advertised specials.

I do not advise the OP to stay anywhere in Manhattan. The hotels by LaGuardia Airport are a good suggestion, as are the hotels by Newark Airport. OPs best bet is to stay two nights at a hotel near Newark Airport and take an early morning train from the Newark Airport station into Manhattan. Most of those hotels have a free shuttle to the airport rail station. Take a NJ Transit train, not Amtrak, so that the fares will be cheaper. Buy a ticket to New York Penn and get off at the last stop. The Empire State Building will be right down the street. Sightsee all day and take the train back late at night and your car will be safe at the hotel parking (I hope).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 07:45 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,126,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorsamsa8 View Post
I only paid about $125 or so in the winter months. Was a Friday. $400 no way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
These Pod hotels are like other NYC chain hotels in that the nightly rate can vary widely, depending on the time of year and events going on in the city. $125 is normal if it is not a busy time, and $400 is normal when lots of tourists and conventions are in town. I paid $250 per night at a Pod Hotel in June 2023. Right now the New York Hilton is being advertised for $170, but when the city is busier it is about $450 per night. Be careful when getting a Manhattan hotel because the price you see advertised is not always the price you get. An "activity fee" or "facilities fee" (about $35 if charged), and the city hotel room tax can inflate those advertised specials.

I thought maybe SOMETHING like that -- special events, etc. -- might be going on, but I deliberately put in a Wednesday night in May (this month), which seemed like a pretty run-of-the-mill day/night. And the rate was $398/night for 1 person in a TINY pod with a double bed (no amenities at all, basically), which seemed utterly insane to me (probably because that's WAY more than a month's groceries for me, or a couple of vet bills, etc. -- this is how I typically do my is-this-worth-it calculations ).

Luckily, I have no need to be in Manhattan any time soon!

Old 05-11-2024, 01:28 AM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan411 View Post
Hello.

We will be driving through NY and our goal is to see Central Park, Empire State Building and any other attractions if time is allowed.

Is there a somewhat affordable place to stay for one night within 20 minutes or so of Manhattan? I know the closer we get, the $$ it will be so we don't mind staying a little outside the city then just drive in for the day.

Speaking of which, although I'm from Chicago, I think your traffic will be worse. I hate sitting in traffic so I'd rather drive 20 minutes out of my way to get to Manhattan if it meant coming in a "back door" or some other route or side road with less congestion. I know once I get there I'll have to deal with it, but I want to avoid sitting in traffic as long as possible Lol.
Thy this - it's funky, but clean and in a great location. It this doesn't work for you, I have other suggestions -

https://www.thejanenyc.com/

Do not go to NYC and stay in Queens, Long Island or New Jersey. Stay in Manhattan. I have ten others in your price range at least. Let me know.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:48 AM

1,080 posts, read 558,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I thought maybe SOMETHING like that -- special events, etc. -- might be going on, but I deliberately put in a Wednesday night in May (this month), which seemed like a pretty run-of-the-mill day/night. And the rate was $398/night for 1 person in a TINY pod with a double bed (no amenities at all, basically), which seemed utterly insane to me (probably because that's WAY more than a month's groceries for me, or a couple of vet bills, etc. -- this is how I typically do my is-this-worth-it calculations ).

This is graduation season.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:52 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012
I was curious so I checked on them for a random weekday ... $400 a night for a tiny room for 1 person! That is apparently "affordable"?! Wow!

I do not advise the OP to stay anywhere in Manhattan. The hotels by LaGuardia Airport are a good suggestion, as are the hotels by Newark Airport. OPs best bet is to stay two nights at a hotel near Newark Airport and take an early morning train from the Newark Airport station into Manhattan. Most of those hotels have a free shuttle to the airport rail station. Take a NJ Transit train, not Amtrak, so that the fares will be cheaper. Buy a ticket to New York Penn and get off at the last stop. The Empire State Building will be right down the street. Sightsee all day and take the train back late at night and your car will be safe at the hotel parking (I hope).
This is a great suggestion. Also, there is a monorail to the EWR train station, but I you pick it up at the terminals. If a hotel has a shuttle, that is better.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Just FYI, lowest occupancy night in NY hotels are the first or second week in February, when it is 60%. Good deals are likely to be had then.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Eh, I have to be in Manhattan every Wednesday. Don't have to sleep there, though!

Old 05-11-2024, 07:29 AM

10,057 posts, read 18,126,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just FYI, lowest occupancy night in NY hotels are the first or second week in February, when it is 60%. Good deals are likely to be had then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
This is graduation season.

^^^ Ah, now the $400/night makes more sense. I work at a college so should have remembered about graduation season!

Old 05-11-2024, 07:42 AM

Quote:
^^^ Ah, now the $400/night makes more sense. I work at a college so should have remembered about graduation season!
Yup. After my kid's first graduation up in Albany, I learned to book a hotel room the minute she told me what the graduation date was (she had two more). The price was already higher than normal, but the earlier you book, the better you'll do.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:51 AM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times
Try this - Hotel 32/32. In the middle of everything. You can see the Empire State Building when you walk outside. The lesss expensive rooms are on the smaller side, but you are not in NYC to see a hotel room.

https://www.hotel3232nyc.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City