Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,717 times

Advertisements

Strange smell in New York City yesterday not sure were it came from. Could this be a terrorist test? They can find where it came from sounds a little suspicious to me. Any thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 12:31 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,225,338 times
Sometimes I think we, the public, are only given as much info as the government deems we can handle. I find it hard to believe in today's age that the experts cannot locate where and what that odor is/was/came from. Little suspicious, yup!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:57 PM

409 posts, read 1,237,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Sometimes I think we, the public, are only given as much info as the government deems we can handle.
Please tell me that you just didn't figure this out .......

This is not the first time that strange smells filled NYC. One time I think it was the smell of almonds. If it were a terrorist 'test' they have been testing for years.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:03 PM

850 posts, read 3,159,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Sometimes I think we, the public, are only given as much info as the government deems we can handle. I find it hard to believe in today's age that the experts cannot locate where and what that odor is/was/came from. Little suspicious, yup!
We absolutely only get what the mass media nd the government wants us to know. And if you only watch the local news or stick to one cable news channel - it is really slanted.

I have learned the only way to find out what is going on is to pay attention to C-span, FOX news, and Public television.

And even then - our info is still controlled. That's why they are having this huge debate going to the floor in D.C. - the mass media is trying to come in and take control of the internet - wanting laws and regualtions from the government to do it.

We have so much info flying on the internet that THEY don't want us to know - and - we do not need publishers or producers anymore to get things out to the world. You can go on line and have a book published and marketed. There is a guy who started a site and just sort of says what he thinks and interests him - and he was on one of the late night shows not too long ago because people like him so much.

Big Brother - he is real.

Kimmiey

Old 01-09-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
Please tell me that you just didn't figure this out .......

This is not the first time that strange smells filled NYC. One time I think it was the smell of almonds. If it were a terrorist 'test' they have been testing for years.
No, I figured that out a long time ago.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:36 PM

150 posts, read 799,335 times
Now they're saying the smell could have wafted over from New Jersey. Gee, there's a surprise.

Did Letterman or Leno have anything to say about it?

Old 01-09-2007, 01:50 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,840 times
Probably what happened is someone's scrubber malfunctioned, and they let out a puff of mixed mercaptans. I'd guess, if I had to, that it was someone in the petroleum business. Stinky, but quite harmless.

The level of hysteria concerning chemicals has skyrocketed in the past few years. I'm in the chemical business. A few years ago, I was selling lab chemicals via mail order, and got a panic phone call about one of our packages having leaked. Several workers complained of headaches, feeling sick, etc.

As it turned out, it wasn't one of our packages. It was somebody's spilled soft drink. Acute Snapple poisoning!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Probably what happened is someone's scrubber malfunctioned, and they let out a puff of mixed mercaptans. I'd guess, if I had to, that it was someone in the petroleum business. Stinky, but quite harmless.

The level of hysteria concerning chemicals has skyrocketed in the past few years. I'm in the chemical business. A few years ago, I was selling lab chemicals via mail order, and got a panic phone call about one of our packages having leaked. Several workers complained of headaches, feeling sick, etc.

As it turned out, it wasn't one of our packages. It was somebody's spilled soft drink. Acute Snapple poisoning!
That made me laugh!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:52 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Strange smell in New York City yesterday not sure were it came from. Could this be a terrorist test? They can find where it came from sounds a little suspicious to me. Any thought?
Probably our gov't trying to scare us so they can impose martial law!! lol

Old 01-09-2007, 07:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
I have learned the only way to find out what is going on is to pay attention to C-span, FOX news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: