Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:23 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaritybytch View Post
I want to live in these neighborhoods b/c they are close to Manhattan and affordable. I have lived in the roughest parts of Seoul and Vancouver and I think I can hold my own, but I will see if this is the case when I visit to find a place and move in August. I am sure that Minneapolis is a quite different place than NY. I am hesitant about Queens b/c all of my co-workers suggest that the commute is not as easy as it seems. I want to avoid all the hip, increasingly expensive "young people's" neighborhoods in Queens and in Brooklyn (i enjoy a quiet, low budget lifestyle). I won't be buying anytime soon, as I need to save for a down payment.
How long is the commute from Pelham Parkway, Riverdale/Kingsbridge, Bedford Park/Norwood to Midtown West? I am hesitant about a longer commute. I think a 30 minute bike ride I do here is pushing it.
and to NooYowkur81, thanks, I am aware of the many Asians in Queens, but I kinda want to avoid that in terms of residence. My parents are immigrants with some connections to the Flushing Korean community [we lived in Ossining, and later around Long Branch NJ for most of my youth] and they [often not always] have often religiously-motivated, heteronormative panoptic interest in the second generations' personal lives. I will gladly take transit to the restaurants but I need a healthy distance. Plus I am attracted to the some civic activism and grassroots social movements within the Bronx.
Thanks again!
2 points.

1) I've been to Seoul. I don't think any neighborhood in Seoul can hold a candle to the Bronx in terms of crime and danger.

2) The neighborhoods you are looking at in the Bronx are the nicest ones, and are not considered dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 03:34 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,911 times
Quote:
I want to live in these neighborhoods b/c they are close to Manhattan and affordable. I have lived in the roughest parts of Seoul and Vancouver and I think I can hold my own, but I will see if this is the case when I visit to find a place and move in August. I am sure that Minneapolis is a quite different place than NY. I am hesitant about Queens b/c all of my co-workers suggest that the commute is not as easy as it seems. I want to avoid all the hip, increasingly expensive "young people's" neighborhoods in Queens and in Brooklyn (i enjoy a quiet, low budget lifestyle). I won't be buying anytime soon, as I need to save for a down payment.
How long is the commute from Pelham Parkway, Riverdale/Kingsbridge, Bedford Park/Norwood to Midtown West? I am hesitant about a longer commute. I think a 30 minute bike ride I do here is pushing it.
and to NooYowkur81, thanks, I am aware of the many Asians in Queens, but I kinda want to avoid that in terms of residence. My parents are immigrants with some connections to the Flushing Korean community [we lived in Ossining, and later around Long Branch NJ for most of my youth] and they [often not always] have often religiously-motivated, heteronormative panoptic interest in the second generations' personal lives. I will gladly take transit to the restaurants but I need a healthy distance. Plus I am attracted to the some civic activism and grassroots social movements within the Bronx.
Thanks again!
Seoul and Vancouver is cake & ice cream compared to New York City.

The commute from Pelham Pkwy, Riverdale, Bedford Park is around 30-45 minutes. That is the norm in NYC. Thousands of people do it everyday.

Also, there is a reason why most people don't choose the South Bronx for its short commute; it is too dangerous. There are a few Asians there but they are fish, fruit, & other merchants; all are men. The South Bronx is not a place you'd want to live; you might feel isolated.

I agree with the need to be a healthy distance away from heavily Asian Queens. Dont get me wrong, I love Queens, it is my hometown. But after 21 years, it gets played out. In my opinion, the entire city is played out. But, it is my home and it is all I know.

I still think that if you don't live in Manhattan, it's not worth staying in NYC

Old 06-15-2008, 01:32 PM

242 posts, read 927,163 times
Theres a few blocks west of yankess stadium that look alright (I don't live or hand out in the the area so i could be completely wrong). Hunts Point and Mott Haven have alot of public housing, drug rehab, mens shelters etc. Its kinda depressing actually.
Pelham Parkway is nice but the 5 kinda stinks so your gonna rely on the 2 if you go out at night. Pelham Bay is very nice too and the 6 is more user friendly.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:49 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Thanks again!

Lol. That's funny, I have often heard from Asian friends about how they were dying to get away from their meddling families, and family friends.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:14 AM

75 posts, read 92,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
just remember the old saying, you get what you pay for, there's a reason the bronx is less expensive than other places, you could wind up paying in ways other than money
Good morning to all the South Bronx Haters,

All ya'll are going to be eating ur words when this area comes up! I don’t live there because I have to, but because I choose to. I brought my place in the South Bronx, so it was a conscious decision. Just because Blacks and Latinos are a majority does not make it a bad place to live. So the only good places are the ones filled with White people? That’s bull**it! Ya’ll probably said the same thing about Harlem a couple of years ago (Who’s laughing now). Keep telling people to go live in places like Pelham Pkwy, which is full of racist mafia type Albanians who don’t want you living in there neighborhood anyway (if you don’t think s**t happen over there your wrong). The South Bronx is not an episode of law and order, so get that stereotypical bull out your mind.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts2003 View Post
Good morning to all the South Bronx Haters,

All ya'll are going to be eating ur words when this area comes up! I don’t live there because I have to, but because I choose to. I brought my place in the South Bronx, so it was a conscious decision. Just because Blacks and Latinos are a majority does not make it a bad place to live. So the only good places are the ones filled with White people? That’s bull**it! Ya’ll probably said the same thing about Harlem a couple of years ago (Who’s laughing now). Keep telling people to go live in places like Pelham Pkwy, which is full of racist mafia type Albanians who don’t want you living in there neighborhood anyway (if you don’t think s**t happen over there your wrong). The South Bronx is not an episode of law and order, so get that stereotypical bull out your mind.
no one ever said it was bad because of the racial makeup of the residents, it is bad because the area is full of pjs, dilapidated housing, bad schools, a bad infrastructure, and many many as GWAC would put it undesirable people. there are more per capita people who are felons there than anywhere else, not the crowd I'd be looking to live with. If you love it there great! enjoy it, but it's not for everyone

Old 06-16-2008, 08:28 AM

But its improving, and offers what could possibly be very rewarding investment opportunities for those who have the required patience...

Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
But its improving, and offers what could possibly be very rewarding investment opportunities for those who have the required patience...
that could be, many people who have had vision have profited nicely, the question is, how long does it take and can you survive the wait

Old 06-16-2008, 08:38 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,558 times
I have arrived! The poster said he WANTS to live there, and gave reasons..so why are we asking "why he wants to live there?" That being said....although he lives in public housing and poverty in MInneapolis....I suspect it is different than the poverty and problems that are in NYC in general, including areas like Mott Haven.

Since you clearly have stated you want to live in these types of areas, I would recommend renting first. There is no commitment, you can learn about the area, and if you don't like it you can just pick up and move somewhere else..no harm..no foul. There are not many Asians around..but there are a few here and there mostly business owners. On that note..a new sushi place opened in Mott Haven (you can search for it on this forum)...its yummy.

The area is not for everyone but it is improving...if you are looking for a gentrified community..this ain't it...and that ain't a bad thing either. It is diversifying, but with different kinds of people of color predominantly, with whites being a smaller, but growing segment...and that ain't bad either. There is a high concentration of poverty here, and all the problems that come with it..but you know this already.

Nonetheless, the area is a short bike ride into the city, as well as train ride, there are MAJOR infrastructure/quality of life improvements happening across the board like new waterfront parks, esplanades, sidewalks/streets/lighting, massive greening/plantings, new mainstream amenities like target/marshalls and dining, as well as smaller establishments/coffee shops etc, new housing including luxury condos/co-ops, affordable housing, and 2/3 family subsidized and market rate housing ,plus improved public transportation like new metro-north by Yankee stadium.

Alot is happening in a very small area, the development is radical, especially for the area. Will it be a gentrified area in 2 years..heck no! And I am glad it won't be as you have the rest of the city for that. Will it be improved, with more/different types of people coming in, more diverse income brackets, middle-income amenities, and a much improved quality of life...absolutely.

The entire area of the South Bronx is being repositioned as the source of housing for the working/blue-collar/middle class NYers (and everyone else for that matter). If you want typical gentrification, starbucks on every corner, uberfabulous everything..you have 95% of the rest of the city for that. If you want to live in a true NYC neighborhood, with locals, a very short commute to the city to enjoy all it has to offer, in a dynamic/changing environment that prides itself on inclusion (whereas the rest of the city prides itself on exclusion), then the area may be for you.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 AM

I thought the poster was a she, maybe I assumed wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City