Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:06 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times

Advertisements

There was a scary preacher on the Q train last week.

He would preach quietly, but suddenly and regularly punctuate his speech with profanity-laced, angry, screaming taunts directly to fellow passengers.

I guess this was his "technique". Not too effective.

Quote:
Let's also try to be fair and remember that preachers, scammers and the like infest the subway because, by and large, they are successful. If the other passengers weren't supporting them, you wouldn't see them on the trains.
"Amen", Fred I wish I could give you more rep points for that one. Those speech-giving panhandlers are nothing but a bunch of scammers. People have to stop falling for this crap and not give them a nickel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:34 AM

54 posts, read 49,819 times
It's annoying when ANY freak does it. Stop singling out religious freaks just because you're atheist. That makes us not want to hear about it. There are PLENTY of freaks on the trains and I ride the E everyday to and from work. TO be honest, I see more beggars than preaches. BUt that's not the point here. The point here is that when people are rude and loud it is violating our rights of peace.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 PM

110 posts, read 347,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Not real enough for me ,Heh,Heh!! LOL! Thanks for your suggestions. I don't own a cell phone so I wouldn't be able to call 311 or anyone else at the time but I will report the info as soon as I get to work/home and hope they will get these people off the trains. I hate cell phones. All the rude people shouting into those things are another annoyance and a reason I'm moving away from this S*&T hole of a city as soon as I retire and going to a small town without all this congestion and rudeness.

have you ever thought about moving Upstate? If so, and if you can afford living wherever in NY you are stay there!!!

There are rude people everywhere and many people don't acknowledge it, but NYer's are nicer than Upstaters. I live here I know, and don't ask how or why

Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM

210 posts, read 972,187 times
What i dont understand is why nobody on the train shuts them up? why do you tolerate it? Why dont you come up to them and tell them to shut up, or push them out of the car? they are so annoying, almost every day i have to tolerate some freak screaming on top of his lungs some noncense. And nobody says anything, people act like nothing is going on!

Old 09-03-2008, 01:06 PM

it is useless to call 311, what are they going to do? how are they going to find a freak once he is out of the train? they move from car to car, from train to train

Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I think I would find it easier to tolerate him than to listen to a "phone freak" who yaks non-stop loudly into a cell phone for all the world to hear his/her personal life. The preacher is more liable to move on a little quicker.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:25 PM

335 posts, read 1,113,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I think I would find it easier to tolerate him than to listen to a "phone freak" who yaks non-stop loudly into a cell phone for all the world to hear his/her personal life. The preacher is more liable to move on a little quicker.
Some of these preachers tend to stay in one car and scream at the top of lungs interrupting my book reading and music listening. once a guy stood right next to me and starting yell right in my ear with my headphones in my ear!!! So I yelled right back that he either needs to move or shut up. And I kept yelling every few seconds at him until he moved.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:45 PM

mir_ny-good for you!
If eveyone stood up to the freaks, we would not have this problem! people here are unbelievable, they are ready to tolerate anything.
yell at them back, push them out of the car, when the train stops, most of this people are afraid of everything, and they would retrieve

Old 09-03-2008, 02:55 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
What i dont understand is why nobody on the train shuts them up? why do you tolerate it? Why dont you come up to them and tell them to shut up, or push them out of the car? they are so annoying, almost every day i have to tolerate some freak screaming on top of his lungs some noncense. And nobody says anything, people act like nothing is going on!
I think that's because you're never completely sure what you're dealing with. A plain, simple lunatic--OK, there's no problem telling such a person to shut up or get off the train. But what's always lurking in the back of your mind is, suppose this idiot pulls out a gun? If it wasn't for that thought, I'm sure lots of people would bypass the "Shut up" stage and throw them right off the train at the next stop.

I'll tell you a little secret, though. Most conductors won't call in a complaint about this kind of thing on their own. But if you make a complaint to the conductor, he or she will have to call it in. (Current MTA management under Elliot Sander is also a lot more responsive to customer complaints. Everyone should start bombarding MTA with complaints about subway preachers, and believe me, something will be done).

Old 09-03-2008, 03:04 PM

Fred, well, if the lunatic has a gun, he can still pull it out, even if you dont contfront him. you never know what they will do. thats why it is better to push the idiot out of the car. sometimes it is obvious he does not have any gun, people still do nothing.
I hate to compare, but i am from Russia, and this kind of behavior is not tolerated there, if something like this happened over there on the train, the whole train would kick the lunatick's butt and push him out of the train, even old grandmas. thats why i am so surprised to see that in the US people just ignore them and suffer.

Yeah, conductor will do something, but not before my ride is over, and i wasted all my time complaining, going back and forth, and go to work all pissed and stressed.
it should not be like this
these freaks should be afraid of us, not the other way around. Most of them are weak and scared, and if you yell at them, they will shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City