Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,138 times

Advertisements

I was looking for something at a couple of hardware stores in my neighborhood but not having a whole lot of luck so decided to head down to the Home Depot on 59th st... I was there about an hour, found what I needed, and got back on the 4/5 train uptown to find that when I swiped my metrocard it thought I was transferring! Do people know about this fluke? It looks like you basically get a round trip ride for the price of a one-way at 59th Street since it's an "out-of-system transfer"? I was surprised that the reader wasn't intelligent enough to know that I was "transferring" from the 4/5/6 downtown to the 456 uptown, which doesn't really make sense. I'd already done the subway to bus fake transfer but found it to usually be too inconvenient to work out. But this one is gold.

So yeah, tell your (broke) friends! If you have an errand to run in under 2 hours, go to 59th Street and get 2 for 1!

(and no, I don't have a monthly 'cause I walk to work)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
Yes, everyone uses this. It's one of the advantages of a Metrocard.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,729 times
7 train at court square. when I lived in manhattan, one of the places I would show people when introducing them to queens was p.s. 1, and while the museum is great, it's not all that big, so we would get the transfer on the ride to flushing which was usually the next destination. I believe you can also do this at the 74 st station because the E and F is nearby.

as for manhattanites seeing queens up close for the first time, they're usually intrigued, and then disappointed. only a manhattanite can get off at main st and roosevelt ave and say "wow it's so suburban," haha.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:02 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
And the reason why you get this at Lexington/59 is as follows: that was installed in the system when the 63 Street subway went into service. It's there to allow a free transfer between the 4/5/6 at Lexington/59 and the F at Lexington/63. A lot of people (perhaps even most) don't know that the free transfer between those lines is available.

Same at Court Square, because you have to go outside the system to transfer between the #7 and the G line. But not at Roosevelt/74, because the #7 and E/F/R/V don't require you to exit the system.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:36 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And the reason why you get this at Lexington/59 is as follows: that was installed in the system when the 63 Street subway went into service. It's there to allow a free transfer between the 4/5/6 at Lexington/59 and the F at Lexington/63. A lot of people (perhaps even most) don't know that the free transfer between those lines is available.

Same at Court Square, because you have to go outside the system to transfer between the #7 and the G line. But not at Roosevelt/74, because the #7 and E/F/R/V don't require you to exit the system.
I never knew this.. I always thought you had to spend money to switch between, that's why I would never do it.. this is great! Thanks!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:45 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,269,417 times
i knew about the 59th street transfer, but not the court square....thanks fred.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
At one time, there was a physical connection between the #7 and the G. I don't know when it was removed, but increasing ridership over the last 15 years has prompted the free transfer arrangement using MetroCard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: