Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 PM

107 posts, read 430,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I live in washington heights and I don't think it's dangerous at all! I can see how someone might not feel safe but thats because there are a lot of people hanging out on corners! There are some drug dealers but not nearly what an outsider would think! Thats just the way people around here are! They set up tables in the summer on corners and play dominos and checkers at all hours day or night! SUPERMARIO didn't you post 2007 crime stats and were surprised that Washington Heights crime rate was on par with upper west side and the Village? It has a ghetto look up here but people are wonderful! Atleast thats the way I feel!

This is an excellent point. Loud and hanging out on street corners does not automatically make a place dangerous; but this is the way most people think. My dad always told us never to date anyone who didn't have a job or who hung out on street corners because they had to be drug dealers.
I grew up on 150th street and worked late hours for months at one point. I used to go home at 1 am by train. I was annoyed by the loud music, the smoking, the catcalls etc that went on in the streets. But at the same time, I embraced it because I would have been scared to death to walk home from the train station on a dark, quiet street at 1 am. If something were to happen, no one would be around. I would have been the perfect target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:29 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girls1 View Post
This is an excellent point. Loud and hanging out on street corners does not automatically make a place dangerous; but this is the way most people think. My dad always told us never to date anyone who didn't have a job or who hung out on street corners because they had to be drug dealers.
I grew up on 150th street and worked late hours for months at one point. I used to go home at 1 am by train. I was annoyed by the loud music, the smoking, the catcalls etc that went on in the streets. But at the same time, I embraced it because I would have been scared to death to walk home from the train station on a dark, quiet street at 1 am. If something were to happen, no one would be around. I would have been the perfect target.
My wife is from a small town in the midwest and works late sometimes 3am and has never felt uncomfortable! That said she still keeps her eyes open! You should always be aware no matter where you are anyway!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:32 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
You know what I've noticed about crime in big and small cities. In big cities in your average robbery, mugging, killing of a dope dealer.

In smaller towns, it's the next door neighbor hiding 37 decapitated bodies in his freezer.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM

133 posts, read 466,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
After White Flight in the 60-70's, there was a period of mass Dominican immigration which looking back on it now probably peaked around 92-93. So it became and is an ethnic enclave for Dominicans.

This happened throughout the city, Whites left, and other groups filled in the void. A lot of White people, mostly Italians and Irish, wanted to get away from the city and move to the burbs.

But maybe I'm reading too much into your post, but I sensed some veiled resentment towards Dominicans. Do you have something against Dominicans?
Nothing against Dominicans. I have lived in Inwood for about 4 months now and chose Inwood for its affordability and excellent transportation options.

It is just very frustrating to live in America and feel like your being taken over. Diversity is fine but when people make no effort to speak English and assimilate it creates problems. Also, the high rate of people on assistance gets on your nerves after a while.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:16 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post
Nothing against Dominicans. I have lived in Inwood for about 4 months now and chose Inwood for its affordability and excellent transportation options.

It is just very frustrating to live in America and feel like your being taken over. Diversity is fine but when people make no effort to speak English and assimilate it creates problems. Also, the high rate of people on assistance gets on your nerves after a while.
How do you know whose on assistance and who is not?

This happens all over. Go to "El Barrio" and the Mexicans and Puerto Ricans speak spanish. Go to Chinatown, and you hear chinese. Go to Corona and the Dominicans and Mexicans speak spanish...I could go on and on.

If you dont like it then move to an "english spoken" neighborhood. Dominicans have been speaking spanish there for 30 years, and they're not going to stop just cause you dont like it.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:56 PM

185 posts, read 648,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood are the roughest parts of Manhattan. These are also the poorest.

"Uptown"

Also the Lower East Side projects.
Inwood rough?

Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM

185 posts, read 648,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
southern inwood is ghetto.

northern inwood is not.
i agree on that pretty much. Inwood maybe ghetto though but its not rough, theres a difference between a neighborhood thats ghetto and a neighborhood that is really rough/dangerous, one does not always equal the other.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:20 AM

398 posts, read 1,331,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post

In those Latino neighborhoods in NYC, you should just accept it for what it is. I do agree that people should assimilate to learn english though.. But if your not comfortable around Latinos and other immigrants Maybe New York City is not for you then...Or Los Angeles or Miami..Their's alot of Latinos in those cities. Just my thoughts.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Does anyone have an opinion on Morningside heights?

Old 05-23-2009, 12:45 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Morningside Heights is, for the most part, safe and almost thoroughly gentrified.

Washington Heights has a lot of rough patches, but if you go from about 181st and above to the west of Broadway (and even more so to the west of Fort Washington) is a very safe neighborhood. You'll definitely see it in the strip of shops on 181st from Fort Washington down to river, and also on the strip of shops on 187th.

As for Inwood, generally the further north you go, and if you don't get too far east of Broadway, then it'll be really safe.

Truth be told though, I've been in Washington Heights for quite a while now, and I've never felt particularly unsafe living here.

I'd say lower Washington Heights, Central Harlem, and East Harlem/El Barrio can still get pretty hairy sometimes, but aren't all that bad as long as you aren't involved with anything (as is the case for most "bad" neighborhoods).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City