Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:04 PM

26 posts, read 62,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeppushing View Post
jus looking for all around opinions on where you find a more comfortbale life..
"comfortable" life? L.A. in a landslide. I live in NYC and have lived in L.A. The word comfortable and New York should never be in the same sentence. NYC is a raw, aggressive, loud, sweaty (or ice cold wind in your face freezing) slab of over-populated concrete. Does that sound comfortable to you? In L.A. I could play tennis. I could hear nothing but the sound of the birds. That was comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:22 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacadocious73 View Post
I'm an actor in NYC and have lived in L.A. there is absolutely nothing more "comfortable" about NYC than L.A. nothing. weather, people, energy. comfortable is a word that should never be associated with NY, just my two cents. ALSO L.A. people are so much friendlier than New Yorkers. fact.
I lived in both NYC and LA and I found NYC very comfortable. LA not at all so I guess to each their own

Old 07-07-2015, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,066 times
I lived in LA for several years and loved it, as it really became my home. Very comfortable living there, and I am living in New York now yearning to go back - which I am in two weeks, fortunately, but only for a visit. Loved the climate, going to the beach in the Palisades or Malibu, hiking in Will Rogers, nights out in Santa Monica, and being around friendly people. New York is a lot "rougher." I didn't fully realize until I left that California really is a lot more laid back, not just than NYC, but compared to much of the country. California wins the comfort debate hands down. And I only mentioned living in LA. A place like Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Marin County? Even more so. Already planning my move back to California!

Old 10-04-2016, 01:04 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
I would pick California over the Big Apple but hey thats just me
-WT

Old 10-04-2016, 01:18 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
NY is more than just the Big Apple...I'm sure upstate NYers might live just as "comfortably" as Californians..

Old 10-04-2016, 01:20 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
I know this is an old thread but I just have to ask - several people have posted that NYC isn't comfortable nor should it be. Why is that? Why should you accept a non-comfortable life, whatever the parameters for you are that make it so?

I am biased - born and raised in NYC, never lived anywhere else, and I freaking hate it here, mostly because I find it to be such an uncomfortable existence. I have spent a lot of time in plenty of other big cities, and find them all to be so much more reasonable, not only in COL, but just overall. I'd move in a heartbeat if I could (and am making long term plans to do so, before anyone jumps on me and tells me to go on and get out).

Not sure why humans should have to accept a non comfortable existence.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I know this is an old thread but I just have to ask - several people have posted that NYC isn't comfortable nor should it be. Why is that? Why should you accept a non-comfortable life, whatever the parameters for you are that make it so?

I am biased - born and raised in NYC, never lived anywhere else, and I freaking hate it here, mostly because I find it to be such an uncomfortable existence. I have spent a lot of time in plenty of other big cities, and find them all to be so much more reasonable, not only in COL, but just overall. I'd move in a heartbeat if I could (and am making long term plans to do so, before anyone jumps on me and tells me to go on and get out).

Not sure why humans should have to accept a non comfortable existence.
NYC is comfortable to many people. I'm sure many of those who say it's uncomfortable don't actually think that, but are going with the super cheesy "if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere" thing.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
I personally find NYC very comfortable, aside from very high rents

Old 10-04-2016, 02:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I personally find NYC very comfortable, aside from very high rents
That's like saying you find Los Angeles very comfortable, aside from the traffic .

Being from Florida - if I had to choose between the 2 - I'd choose southern California (not exactly sure what part) over NYC. I may try out living there for a while when I get a little older. Robyn

Old 10-04-2016, 02:41 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
NY is more than just the Big Apple...I'm sure upstate NYers might live just as "comfortably" as Californians..
I don't know about that factoring in those winters...

It's pretty even though. I'd give California the edge because of weather and more variety. A little bit of a silly question because California is a huge state with all kinds of places. NY state is a little more uniform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City