Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:01 PM

12 posts, read 50,326 times

Advertisements

Love Manhattan, love all of NYC. Currently in Oakland, CA and husband and I are very seriously considering a move to the East Coast. We would like to be close to NYC but not live in the city proper. Have considered Brooklyn (and similar), but am wondering if there are other neighborhoods, cities (or even states) that are not too far from NYC, but don't have the Manhattan (or even Brooklyn) price tag.

Commuting is not an issue, we are self-employed (design/technology industries.) We would like to be close enough to NYC to have NYC clients (and so can go onsite when necessary), but don't necessarily have to live there.

We like urban areas (although would consider a more suburban area if close enough), prefer lofts/warehouses to traditional homes, wonderful old east coast architecture, culture, schools/education, sophistication and diversity. Getting all of that is best in NYC proper, of course, but we're not millionaires. I've heard living in PA or CT can be a good compromise. I think I would be happier living closer to NYC, but will go where it makes sense.

Would love to hear from people who've done this, or have ideas about good places to live (anything similar to Brooklyn, but less $?) We don't have children, but will most likely have 1 or 2 soon, so good schools are important. (Schools here are so bad that even moving to the East Coast will be a step up.)

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
What is your budget for housing? Do you want to rent or own?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:09 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,130 times
99% of NYers don't live in lofts--you're not going to find one outside of a few select areas like downtown Manhattan, the Brooklyn waterfront, and the part of Jersey literally right across the water from Manhattan.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:09 PM

We'd like to own... currently are in a 1675 sq ft. loft, would want something similar (which is why NYC proper, and possibly even burroughs) is not going to work. Not really sure what the NYC (and close to NYC) markets are doing these days.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 PM

Andysocks... doesn't have to be a loft. Basically, we like older construction and would want something in that category.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
But what is your budget??????

Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times
Jersey sounds like your cup of tea. Since you don't want to be in NYC ( I assume you meanj all 5 Boroughs) you should check out areas in Jersey. Some parts area really close to Manhattan.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Eastern Queens and western Long Island. A lot of locals I know wouldn't want to go to NJ.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:07 AM

I've heard people mention Jersey as well, thanks for that tip. What neighborhoods are good in East Queens and West Long Island?

Old 08-16-2008, 11:38 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Neighborhoods in eastern Queens: Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck, Bellerose, Queens Village, Floral park (one part is in Queens, the other on Long Island).

Western Long Island is in Nassau County. Though the eastern tip of Nassau county is about a 30 minute drive to Manhattan without any traffic. Here are some good neighborhoods. It really depends on your budget though. I don't know what it is, so i'm just going to list the towns. The schools in Nassau county are much better than if you were to send your kids to the schools in eastern Queens. Schools in eastern Queens are some of the best in the city though, so I wouldn't worry that much with those schools. Here are some neighborhoods in western Long Island:

New Hyde park, Valley stream, Hewlett, Lynbrook, Malverne, Franklin Square, Great Neck, Manhasset, Great Neck, Port Washington.

If you need any help, feel free to ask. I recommend eastern Queens or western Long Island over NJ. The thing with NJ is that you would have to pay a bridge toll to enter NYC (any borough for that matter). Being on Long Island (or Queens), you don't need to pay a bridge toll to go into Brooklyn or Queens (which is part of nyc) in case you have clients in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City